Moorcroft (St Anthonys): Infront Cat's Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:10 am

Just a wee update.

The bridge is now 95% finished. All that remains is to relay the track and underlay and fix it all into place.

The structure itself is now solidly fixed and is great but for one slight problem. I didn't notice when making the thing that the piece of wood that I used for the lifting deck is very slightly twisted. However, I have made up a cunning ad hoc device out of an old clamp, some metal plate and a few screws, which is currently stretching the wood the way I need it to go. I'm hoping that within a week or two the wood will be sufficiently teased into shape as to negate the warp. Hopefully :roll:

The main thing is, the structure is well solid and, more importantly, works really well. Oh, and it looks quite cool too 8) I shall be giving it a final coat of gloss at some stage, but I'll leave that until the summer I suspect.

Sadly, I can't get my web cam that far down the bottom of the garden, but I'll maybe try to get someone to drop by with a camera at some stage.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 am

Well done Tim you little wood teaser you.

Looking forward to some photographic images at some time.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Infrontcat wrote:The structure itself is now…

Tim, Your exploits enthral me 8)

You shouldn’t really tease the wood though, it’s doing its best :wink:

but I'll leave that until the summer I suspect.

You will need to be primed and ready old chap; British summers have a habit of appearing out of the blue and then vanishing in an instant :shock:

Lofty

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Just a wee slightly twisted ad hoc device out of an old clamp, metal plate and a few screws, which is currently stretching teased warp cool web cam that far down the bottom to drop.

Cheers

Tim

I do like your use of words Tim :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm

sanctuary wrote:Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work.

You're not the only one mate ;)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Infrontcat wrote:
sanctuary wrote:Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work.

You're not the only one mate ;)

yes your cat is to :P
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Looking forward to the next update! - I'd pop over with my camera but it's a bit far :o Could do a poll to see if their is any correlation between model trains and cats! We have a feisty tortise-shell who has been observed running down the mainline :shock: She has her food and kitty litter box in the same room as my layout -
Enough rambling - as I said - look forward to the next installment!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:35 pm

Good news and bad news folks.

The good news is that the Stromness Road Garden Railway's major engineering works programme has been successfully completed with track laid, wiring reworked and new lift bridge all ship-shape (well, railway-shape I suppose) and ready to go. Initial integrity tests showed the structures to be sound all round and the track seems to be fine following rudimentary rolling stock tests.

However, the bad news is that I have absolutely no photographic evidence to support my claims and, thus, rely on your good faith to accept that it is so and that I haven't just been banging my head against a brick wall all day, even if, at times, it actually felt that way :roll:

Also, I was (and currently am :cry: )suffering from a back-ache so bad that when I'd finished, the last thing I wanted to do was get a load of stuff out and run anything, especially since the track is so incredibly dirty and needs such a good clean that I doubt anything would have run anyway and the last thing I wanted to do was bend over and start cleaning poxy rails! So sadly, I just failed to reach my target of running the first train of the year by the first weekend in March. Bugger.

Still, at least it's done now and I can try to get around to running somat tomorrow :)

Cheers all

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm not saying that I don't believe you Tim, it's just with out photographs we have to check via the NRM satellite, unfortunately the only image we got from your post code address was this one certainly not a Brazilian :lol: :lol:

Keep up the back breaking work
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Cracking news Tim - look forward to you being able to get hold of a camera and also have the trains running. That will be reward in itself for you.

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Sounds great! We need to set-up a 'buy Tim a camera fund'

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Well, I did some further clearance today and took a few pictures of the work I've been doing near the house.

The first set of pictures shows a mock-up I knocked together to give you an idea of the station I intend to build. I'm still fiddling about with heights and have several aspects of the construction still to decide upon, but the basic dimensions are there to be seen.

The overbridge for the mock-up is just an old VCR cover. The real thing will be a perspex shelf on a wooden frame to house the controls, hence you can see the powerbox behind the first roof girder. I'll make a side wall to represent the face of the station to fit on each side of the bridge with steps coming down from a concourse.

The platforms are just hornby sections and roof you see is made of the remnants rails of an old Lego train set I once had resting on ten stud-high pillars (hence the colours are so vivid that it actually looks like an image drawn in paint!). I might well use the rails for the final model to represent girders:

The second set of pictures show the buffet table in raised and 'in use' positions and showing how the approach to the station will look from the same view. In the 'raised' photos, the train in the forground is parked in siding #6 which is one of the two longest sidings. The train at the rear is infact sitting on the 'up' line which goes down an incline of 1:60 at this point:

Sadly, I once again failed to run any trains but t the moment, I prefer to do the jobs that need doing while I'm still in the mood to do them :lol:

I will see how the weather turns out tomorrow before deciding what to do next. If the weather's really good I may take the plunge and do some more painting but we shall see how intrepid I'm feeling first!

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

peak

Postby peak » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Looking good my friend!
Don't run trains keep working, you know it's the right thing to do!
The trouble with this hobby is we keep playing trains and not working! :wink:
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Looking good now there is a station there. will you be putting portals on where the cover is? will look pretty good when ya done. Keep up with the good work Tim.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Gosh, I've always been so mesmerised by just watching your trains running round that I never even noticed there wasn't a station anywhere :shock: Now I'm curious to know whether you have plans for any other line-side features like signals, signal boxes etc ?

Infrontcat wrote: .. and roof you see is made of the remnants rails of an old Lego train set I once had resting on ten stud-high pillars (hence the colours are so vivid that it actually looks like an image drawn in paint!) ...
Tim

To me it looks more like the station from the great Rev WV Awdry's 1967 classic 'Thomas Takes the Hippies on a Trip' :? But I could be wrong ... any ideas on what style of station your build will follow (like traditional GWR, modernist Euston etc) ?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”