Moorcroft (St Anthonys): Infront Cat's Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

chrisalddin wrote:ummmm go to shop buy one for £20?
Sadly, that is quite beyond my budget even at that price at the moment mate, hence I had to sell some stock recently! :roll:

Patience young man, patience...
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
sishades

Post by sishades »

and a quick lick of undercoat
Im sure a brush would be better suited for this task. You would only end up with an odd colored tongue and a dodgy tummy ache. Please remember that there are minor chaos units who read these posts and tips like these can have serious consequences.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Afternoon

I got around to painting a few things today. I reapplied creocote onto the edges of last year's boards as a 'just in case' measure and finished off the undersides of the raft that supports the curves at the end of the garden. Then I decided it was time to paint the latest version of the bridge that will re-connect the curves with the lower tracks.

After several experiments at trying to lick the paint on, I decided Sishades' advice was well founded and adopted a more traditional method of applying paint with a brush. I also too time to paint the portal at the mouth of Merty Sidings.

I also managed to get my old web cam working again, so to prove I have been doing somat (and to keep young Chris happy, lol!) I took the opportunity of photographing some of my hard work:

The main bridge structure, resplendant in white undercoat:
The first three shots show the underside of the main superstructure of the bridgethat will run onto the lift section across the path. The fourth shot is of the back of the structure. The small tab stuck on the bottom at the back is simply a spacer to help keep the trackbed at the right height

Main Bridgehead and Trackbase:
I popped a couple of flatties on the top to give you an idea of the size, though infact there is an additional trackbed to be fixed on which will raise the wagons a further half-inch or so on the finished model

Buffet Table:
These pix show you roughly what I've been up to! Note that the second picture shows the table top sloping slightly. This is because I had to pop a thinner piece of wood under it in lieu of the tunnel portal section which is slightly thicker in profile and, thus, will render the finished article nice and level! The third pic shows the portal in question (Have a look at the artist's impression, posted a few days back, so you get the full picture) painted and drying. The fourth pic I just added to show my nice cosy siding area under the table. Now, bar-b-qs will be so much more enjoyable AND provide plenty of space to lean and place drink cannisters :)

Sadly, as I can only take pix in the immediate vicinity of the dining room, I can't at present take anyof the rebuilding that has gone on at t'other end of the garden. However, they will come in due course, especially as I will want to take a few when the new bridge is in situ!

I did take some pix of the cats, but you wouldn't want to see them, would you? Then again, I guess they are an essential part of the railway, being the H&SE(FB)*** and all that! I'll try to post a more railway-related feline-fun pic in due course :)

After my wee break, I shall just go out and finish off for the day. I may just cut the sides for the revised lift section for the bridge as the light is holding out surprisingly well :D

No fog though. Kinda miss it now...

Cheers all

Tim

***Health And Safety Executive (Feline Branch)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
thebuisnessman

Post by thebuisnessman »

Ayup Tim,
Looking good 8)
chrisalddin

Post by chrisalddin »

Infrontcat wrote:and to keep young Chris happy
at 28 i am young? yipey
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Wow! Top Dollar Tim! :) talk about... 'slight delays due to major engineering works!'

Keep the momentum rolling chief! :D

Chris
joshing_man

Post by joshing_man »

Agreed - well done Tim. Soon you'll be running the trains again in warm sunshine with a cold beer in one hand.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Great stuff Tim, good to see you're still cracking on........

Did you ever read James Herbert "The Fog".......you'd never go out in it again.......

I must also congratulate you on your extremely sturdy erection :shock: , I never thought of painting it white but it looks very good.

Onwards and upwards mate, summers coming!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Spavo wrote:I never thought of painting it white but it looks very good.
Ah, 'tis but mere undercoat :) I still haven't decided on the top colour yet.I guess I'd better make my mind up bloody quick though, as I'm hoping to have it all fitted by the end of the week :roll:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
chrisalddin

Post by chrisalddin »

Infrontcat wrote:
Spavo wrote:I never thought of painting it white but it looks very good.
Ah, 'tis but mere undercoat :) I still haven't decided on the top colour yet.I guess I'd better make my mind up bloody quick though, as I'm hoping to have it all fitted by the end of the week :roll:
just dont lick any more undercoat on ok? :P
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Bloody drizzle! :roll:

Did at least have time to make and paint the main trackbed for the lifting section of the new bridge, but the rain came just as I was about to start painting the main structure in top-coat!

Ar*e! :evil:

Incidentally, I decided to paint the bridge green as i) I already had it and ii) it will match the other bridge :)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Crumbs, I think it might not rain! I want to get a lot of painting done today, so I need a percipitation-free day and so far so good.

Keep them fingers crossed... :roll:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
heinz

Post by heinz »

hey man just dropped in to see how things were?

Cheers.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Heinz! Hey buddy, how's things? :)

Sorry I've not been in touch but I had a problem with MSN and (still) haven't got around to sorting it out :roll:

Well I have, but it's still sh*t!

Bridge has been painted and is drying at present. The H&SE(FB) have been busy having a good nose around, some pix of which I hope to post a little later. In the meantime, I shall make like a pikey git and light a bonfire to rid myself of all the sawdust and off-cuts from the last few days :)

Plus, it should take the chill out of the air ;)

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Get some tatties wrapped in foil in the bottom of it, and break out the sossies - might as well make use of a fire eh? :lol:

Paul