Moorcroft (St Anthonys): Infront Cat's Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:38 pm

Hello chaps, hope your respective weekends were enjoyable or at least tollerable :)

Not much of note to report on the actual layout as such, but there were some excellent developments surrounding it. Firstly, my friend JT is giving me a load of MDF with which I should now be able to finish off the shed and have it so orderly as to allow me to further develop the branchline-to-be from the shed round the end of the garden and up to the second station (yet to be built) Munro Street.

Secondly and more directly beneficial to the layout overall, I managed to successfully service/fix my Green '40, my blue '40, my green Deltic, my large logo blue '37, my Peppercorn A1 and my black 9F :)

Still got work to do on my 31, both 8Fs and a couple of others, but needless to say I feel a little bit happier now!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Stuart Reid

Postby Stuart Reid » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:08 am

Infrontcat wrote:Secondly and more directly beneficial to the layout overall, I managed to successfully service/fix my Green '40, my blue '40, my green Deltic, my large logo blue '37, my Peppercorn A1 and my black 9F :)

Still got work to do on my 31, both 8Fs and a couple of others, but needless to say I feel a little bit happier now!

Cheers

Tim

I couldn't help thinking last night when I was figuring out the problem with the Black Five (too heavy for a spongy bit of track) that we're a bit like motor-bike enthusiasts I know. We enjoy spending far more time tinkering with the gubbins than actually running trains :)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Stuart Reid wrote: We enjoy spending far more time tinkering with the gubbins than actually running trains :)

LOL I agree with the sentiments of that sentance entirely provided you insert the word almost between 'we' and 'enjoy' ;)

By the way Andy, forgot to answer your question: I suppose the sound does reasonate quite considerably through the garden especially when I have a pair of 'express' services doing the rounds. There are a lot of places where the track is spaced quite deliberately, so you can hear a 'clickety-clack' somewhere on the layout at almost any time.

I think the fact that the garden is narrow, largely concreted and high-sided means that the whole thing is effectively one great big ruddy amplifier :lol:

Wish me luck with my 8F. I'm 'going in' this afternoon :)

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:08 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd just like to announce that Tim Infront Cat and his furry family are all absolutely tops.

Thank you Tim for playing host to my baby for a couple of weeks and myself for today.

Sadly no photos were taken as Tims camera is dead and my other half has mine down at her parents.

Balls.

Still, at least two of us can picture it.. :P

Cheers Tim.

ps - saved your thread from page 2... ;)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:01 am

No problems fella. The engine block was an exeplorary guest. No problems at all and seemd generally content with it's hessian sleeping bag ;)

Just wish my transformer hadn't been such a sh*t and decided to arbitrarily break half way through using it :)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:22 am

i see you done some Grate work on you layout...

that grate news!!!!! go man go.
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Evening chaps

Just a breif update, largely because there isn't a great deal to be reported! However, I have taken off the upper boards and given the undersides an extra coat of wood paint in anticipation of the weather to come and, whilst they were off and drying, I took the chance to realign the tracks on the lower loops. I did this primarily because I got fed up with getting all het up when I got derailmnents all the time in the same ruddy places. Besides, I was running out of expletives :roll:

The lower tracks run a treat now and I have also solved one or two conductivity issues. I have also taken the precaution of installing train-catcher retaining walls which have successfully prevented any more 200 foot swan dives to date. However, I have yet to do this on the main boards, though I may well have a go at them this coming week. I haven't decided what colour to paint them or anything yet, but that will come in due course.

Meantime, I have finally settled on a final design for the Munro Street station area immediately adjacent to St Anthonys and will do this before I finally get onto building the station itself.

Cheers all, have a good weekend

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:27 am

good to hear matey
will be much more fun not having derailments when you run the trains..
i hate to say it though, but the time is coming when attic railways come into their own....
and garden railways become less available, at least for the building side, i suppose autumn/winter running is fine as long as you have the right kind of leaves or snow :-)
michael

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi Tim,
Just reading your post about painting wood paint on, and wondered out of interest how durable you find your layout outside. I've often been tempted to extend the layout outside of the shed, but have never been sure how well the 00 gage stands up to the elements. Do you get any problems with corrosion of the track?
Kind regards
Tom

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 am

Hi Tom, Michael.

I think that a lot of the fears that one had about the 'cons' of having an outdoor '00' set-up are, from experience, greatly exagerated. For example, this mortal fear people have of using electricity outside. If you see what I mean, it's no different to using say an elctric drill outside. You wouldn't operate it in the p*ssing rain...so don't operate the railway in the p*ssing rain! It's OK to carry on working if there is a very light drizzle as long as you cover up the sockets and circuits, which I do.

If anything, the slight dampness one sometimes experiences on grey and slightly misty days actually seems to improve the performance rather than hinder because it covers the rails with a thin film of water (afterall, water is a conductor!) and it smells amazing! ;)

As for the structural side, s o far no problems at all really. As long as you make the trackbed reasonably solid and capable of bearing weight, you shouldn't have too many problems. I have painted all the upper boards simply because they have ply-wood tops which will go manky if not properly protected or treated. The rest of the wood has been either sitting in my garden for a long time or was previously weather-proofed (as it is second-hand wood by and large :) )

The secret is to understand how the materials behave in differing conditions, but not to the extent that you create extra unnecessary work and expense for yourself. Wood will warp, but you can do things to off-set the effects by just thinking a bit laterally. For example, at the top of Mumbledon Rise, I noticed that the 'up' line did not match the corresponding track on the viaduct, causing continual derailments except to the most reliable of stock. However, by fixing a 2" clamp to theedges of the corresponding boards, I managed to bend the board back into shape. Now that section of track is smooth as anything!

If you want any specific information about how I did any of the layout, feel free to drop me a line and I'll do mi' best to answer :)

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:48 pm

Afternoon chaps

Not a lot to report really on the layout front other than that I had a wee running session yesterday just to check all was in working order after relative inactivity for a while. And by Christ were the rails dirty! :D

It's not so much a problem at the 'bedroom end' but at the bottom end the rails get utterly caked. I think it's because of the leaves, snails et al which leave their slimy deposits everywhere :roll:

Anyhow, just one other thing: you may have noticed that the video links are not working anymore. If so, don't worry. I've simply put them together into one folder. If you have yet to view them, be prepared to put aside a fair bit of time as there are quite a few to get through! :wink: I have also included three that were shot long before the upper sections were built :)

Cheers Tim

Link for videos: http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Infrontcat/Garden%20Railway%20Videos/

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:23 am

Good evening/morning chaps (and any chapesses).

Had a pleasant evening of film and music with a dear friend and, whilst quite literally feeling high on life, rather fortuitously came up with a good idea to improve the plan for the branchline running over the bottom section of the gardem railway which will eventually link the shed to the rest of the layout.

I planned to build a branchline station next to the shed in the area indicated:
But have decided to build the station nearer the bridge and adjacent to the castle. Moreover, I have decided on the exact location of the Castle itself. The new station layout is just a quick sketch, the platform being in grey, the station building is brown:

The area in question is highlighted in this video:
Video
I was originally going to place the station on the higher level trackbed paralell to the main line on the incling (starts at -27 secs until -23 on the video counter) but it will now cover the main line in the area prior to the bridge ( from -22 to -17 seconds).

Hope this all makes sense!

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:48 am

Excellent news on all fronts then Tim, so we can expect some lovely pictures shortly :wink: :wink:
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

peak

Postby peak » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:37 pm

Sounds like a good plan!
Looking forward to it!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Sounds like a nice idea Tim, is this weather permitting as far as the timescales are concerned???? Whats the forecast like?

Good luck with it,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”