Moorcroft (St Anthonys): Infront Cat's Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 06, 2007 1:07 pm

The trackometer is brill mate, reminds me of something off Blue Peter when John Noakes was collecting old crisp bags or something or another when I was at school!

Great stuff!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun May 06, 2007 2:25 pm

Spavo wrote:The trackometer is brill mate, reminds me of something off Blue Peter when John Noakes was collecting old crisp bags or something or another when I was at school!

Funnily enough Gav, I was originally going to do one as part of the Moorcroft St Anthony's Track Appeal, but Rich was so ruddy generous with his Red Cross parcel that I've actually got JUST enough to do the circuit now.

I've been out there today (about to stop so I can make lunch and watch the MotoGP re-run on BBCi! :) ) and have 'reckied up' the second station throat. Looks good so far, though as I say, I can't actually make anything today. I tried to take a pic, but it's so ruddy far from the camera that you can't see a ruddy thing! :roll: COME ON AIDEY, FIND THAT RUDDY CABLE!

Must admit, I did smile very broadly this morning when I got up and looked out of my window. It was one of those "I made this!" moments :)

Cheers guys, catcha later

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun May 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Funnily enough Gav, I was originally going to do one as part of the Moorcroft St Anthony's Track Appeal, but Rich was so ruddy generous with his Red Cross parcel that I've actually got JUST enough to do the circuit now.

Sorry.. I won't be so generous next time.. :P

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Sun May 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Great work mate!

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun May 06, 2007 6:17 pm

S'OK Rich, not complaining, lol :wink:

Cheers Morty, hope the exams aren't stressing ya too much fella :)

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Cheers Morty, hope the exams aren't stressing ya too much fella :)

Not quite yet mate, 2 weeks they will tho lol!

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed May 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Breif update

Power box is under construction. It will be housed in an old video recorder case with ports for four controllers on the front, three SCART leads out the back and a nice big schematic complete with switches on the top.

In theory at least :roll: . It's a pig of a job. I'll post some pix when there's somat worth showing :wink:

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Wed May 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Sounds excellent fella 8)

Keep it up mate,

BR

MrT

Postby MrT » Thu May 10, 2007 9:37 am

Good to hear its still progressing Tim!

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Thu May 10, 2007 9:59 am

What about drainige of the lines.

will there any be any bits that could or do collect water and what do you do to overcome this.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 am

Ijdagger wrote:What about drainige of the lines.

will there any be any bits that could or do collect water and what do you do to overcome this.

Funnily enough, it all seems to drain away quite well (it is roofing felt after all!) and dries out surprisingly quickly even when the air's still a tad parky. The only accumulation I've seen was on the station section, but then this is the only dead level section on the whole layout :wink: and a wee toweling gets it dry in literally seconds :)

Today I'm pressing on with the power-box, so I hope to have something to show later

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 am

Tim old son, that is looking brilliant!!!!

I just caught up with your thread after my wetting myself about my new camera.

It realy is going to be terrific to run. I might even arrange a holiday down your way sometime. :wink:

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu May 10, 2007 1:47 pm

waz wrote: Tim old son, that is looking brilliant!!!!

I just caught up with your thread after my wetting myself about my new camera.

It realy is going to be terrific to run. I might even arrange a holiday down your way sometime. :wink:

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Bill, yer on :wink: Just make sure you bring one of those beautiful Duchesses with you :) Really like the shots you get with that camera.

Hell, bring that too :lol:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu May 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Quick update as I pause for a cuppa!

Here's the work done so far on the Power-box. I'm quite pleased with it so far:

The main case is from an old Pioneer casette deck component. The top left shows the front panel which is actually the back panel from the unit itself. I shall use the portal holes in the bottom left of the panel for the connexions to the controllers.

The top right shows the power box top, which is surprisingly uncluttered! The nearest part is to be used to house switches for future accessory projects, the first of which will be the motorisation of the points in the yards.

The bottom left picture shows the rear of the box with the panel removed, showing the central pillar I have glued in place to privide rigidity. I also glued two locatory brackets- one of which can be seen suspended from the lid- so the fabricated back panel can be fixed firmly but removed easily.

The bottom right picture shows the rear panel in situ. It was the rear panel from an old Amstrad video and was cut to fit the new unit. I cut out the SCART socket and other portals so I could fix the triple housing unit shown in place but prior to fixing. Here, the 63 wires that energise the tracks in and around the station will be appropriately distributed among the 18 switches that will allow me to (hopefully) play god as I see fit :wink:

Once I have finished trimming the work done so far, I shall drill the locatory holes to house each switch before painting the unit in a colour as yet undetermined...but possibly green, as much of the garden's features have a splash of Regency Green on them :) . We shall see!

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Nice control box Tim. Very compact too. Wish I could cram all my controllers into that kind of space.
There is no room inside a box.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”