Unnamed 00 in a bedroom - Distractions...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whistlehead

Unnamed 00 in a bedroom - Distractions...

Postby whistlehead » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Currently, I have a 6x4 layout which swings up to the wall for storage. This is in a state in which it has remained since four years ago - flat, with no scenery but for a few peeling grass mats and some Hornby platforms..

This layout has served me well though the "Playing with trains" stage, but I'm beginning to move on to more serious modelling - and the prospects for development of this layout are severely limited. Alongside this, it simply takes up too much room in my bedroom.

So I plan to replace it with a new railway, built around the walls of my room, a fiddle yard over my desk, and a terminus where the old layout was. This massively increases the available space in my room, which I intend to fill with one of the ageing armchairs from the living room, along with adding the prospect of storage facilities under the layout itself, and shelves above.

Below I post my trackplan, and I'd just like to see if anyone can see any major flaws in the design? Once this is built, I'm stuck with it, so any mistakes are going to be permanent, and as the aim was partially to increase the prospect of operation, I'd like something really good.

Overall

The terminus

I was initially going to have the station on the curve, but it soon became apparent that this would severely restrict the space for goods movement and scenics.

The station can hold four mk1 or mk2 coaches, as can the runaround, and the headshunt is of 40cm - more than enough for any RTR engine I know of, plus two goods vans.

The railway is set in no specific location, though the village scene will be of eastern design as that is what I know and love, and will contain a bare minimum of fixed items to determine the time period (apart from the goods sidings, of course)

The board positioning is set - there are no alterations to be made there - so it's just a question of trackplan, and ideally, I'd like a few more goods sidings, and maybe a goods shed. Can anyone suggest a way of achieving this? The lack of terraced houses should help, as this is being replaced by the centre of a small village with maybe one or two houses and a stream.

I have a few ideas myself, but I'd like to see what anyone else thinks might work, as I have only produced one layout - a very small, roughly sceniced 009 oval which I like to think of as "impressionist" - that is, it's beautiful if you stand a long way away! I have also been testing my skills with a shelf layout mainly consisting of retaining walls and a platform. What I learnt about ballasting with that layout will probably be very useful.

Thanks for any suggestions, and I hope you like my plan

Comments, critisisim, anything welcomed!

Chris
Last edited by whistlehead on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 19 times in total.

knottinbotswana

Re: Unnamed 00 in a bedroom (large diagrams)

Postby knottinbotswana » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I think it looks good, particularly the possibilities of shunting puzzles in the sidings.

You say you're thinking of going rural. What about having that end as a country market town with agricultural goods: grain silo, livestock market pens, milk, etc.?

Replace the fiddle yard with a rural station and you have a logical end to end.

[edit]Eastern just reminded me that I was also going to compliment you on your graphics skills!
Last edited by knottinbotswana on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Looks good too! I also like the idea of a rural station as well. If so, possibly you may need a turntable or the ability for an engine to run around? Nice graphics as well 8)
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks for commenting,

@Eastern: I've tried to fit a turntable in, believe me - it just won't work, I'm afraid, not if I want any scenic space at all

@knottinbotswana: I'm thinking small village scene - Postman Pat-esque, if you like. I would run end-to-end, but there really isn't space there - the maximum width is about six inches, only enough for two tracks.

@my graphical abilities: Thanks! It's only Anyrail, using a few lines to form shapes to give an impression of scenery. See below for what I can do in 3d

I've revised the trackplan slightly, to produce:

Bedroom04.jpg
Bedroom04.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 8108 times

Then I went ahead and made this:

Made in Auran's Trainz virtual railway simulator, if you're wondering. It's great for planning scenery. And playing trains. Mmm. Two hours worth of operating later, and I'm pretty sure this is as good as it's going to get.

The crossing house is in the wrong place and those cafe umbrellas are far too bright, but I think you get the picture.

Comments and criticism!

Chris
Last edited by whistlehead on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Double post!

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

MOHAAPlayer wrote:Can I have a copy of that train layout please?

I'm not sure what you mean

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:54 pm

MOHAAPlayer wrote:
whistlehead wrote:
MOHAAPlayer wrote:Can I have a copy of that train layout please?

I'm not sure what you mean
I have Trainz 12 and can I have the save file of that Layout please?(If you can find it and know what I am talking about!)

It's a pretty simple layout to build - just use the diagrams

Can anyone spot any potential problems with this layout?

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 am

knottinbotswana wrote:Replace the fiddle yard with a rural station and you have a logical end to end.

Agree with that, or a cirle at the far end to make an out and back run.

I think MOHAAPlayer's request was because you appear to have done a very finished file in the way of scenary.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 am

Yeah, it looks really good! I want it to play with it for awhile!

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm

MOHAAPlayer wrote:Yeah, it looks really good! I want it to play with it for awhile!

I'll see what I can do

@everyone - that is the absolute maximum space available. I simply cannot spare any more.

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 pm

whistlehead wrote:
MOHAAPlayer wrote:Yeah, it looks really good! I want it to play with it for awhile!

I'll see what I can do

Thanks!

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:45 pm

For MOHAAPlayer - Here's the CDP: http://www.mediafire.com/?iicpsgw9xnjuqmm It's built in Trainz 2010EE, so you may have issues with other versions. I think all of the scenery is built in to 2010, but I can't be sure.

I've had a think - and come up with this:

I'm pretty sure this is what I'll go with. Thoughts, please?

Cheers,

Chris 8)

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Double post! :roll:

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 pm

whistlehead wrote:Image

What are the programs on the task bar?

whistlehead

Unnamed 00 in a bedroom - Diagrams at base of page 1

Postby whistlehead » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 am

Everyone: new track plans previous page - I'd love to hear your thoughts

@MOHAAPlayer: I don't know why it's important, but... L to R: Start/All Programs, Google Chrome internet browser, Windows Explorer, Sonic Adventure, Trainz 2006 (kaput), Trainz 2010ee startup, Tow truck simulator (no, I don't know why I have it either...), Sonic Heroes, Mario Paint composer, Microsoft Paint, Media Player, Paint.NET, Gmax, 3DSmax, Yahoo messenger, Anyrail 4, Trainz 2010ee active

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”