Woolmer and Alfieston - BR/SR OO Layout c.1950's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
matt1471

Woolmer and Alfieston - BR/SR OO Layout c.1950's

Postby matt1471 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 pm

WIth my 8x5 OO still undergoing work and currently, being moved and expanded into the garage, I wanted to build a smaller, portable layout that I could work on in the house, and really spend time to develope my scenary skills and make a highly detailed exhibition standard layout.

With 2 nicely cut pieces of 4ftx1ft MDF boards leftover, these were the starting for the layout.

I wanted a station, with at least 2 plaforms, a goods yard and I wanted to build the Ratio Coal/Timber Merchant, so I had to allow for that.

I wanted to have a capacity to run steam engines, as my 8x5 is all BR Blue Diesels.
Bachmann Class 2MT Ivatt in Green, BR Lined - Freight Headcode
Hornby Pannier, ex GWR re-painted Black
Hornby J52 Passenger service
Hornby Evening Star / Q1 Southern - Haven't decided yet which will be the steam special and which will feature on here!!

DC Layout, Hornby PM's, Peco Code 100 Track, Insulfrog, weathered.

Anyway, here are the pics so far.

Last edited by matt1471 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

35011 GSN

Re: 'End of the Line' Exhibition Layout

Postby 35011 GSN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:51 pm

looks very nice, love the pannier and the backgrounds really bring your layout to life

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Still working on this project slowly and currently building signals from the Ratio kit range, so hopefully working and will be electrically switched using the Ratio levers!!

Just need to know that my signal placements so far are correct?? I need a couple of ground signals which I will add later.

If anyone could let me know if this is right, I'd be very grateful!!

GeoffW

Re: 'End of the Line' Exhibition Layout - SIGNAL HELP

Postby GeoffW » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Did you ever get any comments on the signals?

Which ratio kits are you using and how are making them work from switches?

Starting to look in working signals for the front of my project.

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:04 am

Nope, no reply about positioning of signals. I think they are right though!!

Using the Ratio 490 signals and 486 with 250 lever kits. SR and LWSC designs.

As for the switches I plan to use a micro contact switch or small surface mount switch to be activate by the arm under the 250 signal lever.

From this, it will operate a servo which will operate the lever at the base of the signal and in turn the signal arm!!

jcm@gwr

Postby jcm@gwr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:20 am

Hi Matt,
Although I can't help directly, this site might be of use to you
http://www.signalbox.org/..
Good luck, Jeff

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:44 am

matt1471 wrote:Image

Ideally, for the bracketed entrance signal you would need 3 arms to signal the route either into platform 1, 2 or 3. The lower the arm means a subsidiary route. If they're all the same height, they have all the same significance. Aside to this, you could always have 3 arms on 1 post, the top arm being the left-most route, the middle one being the middle route and the bottom being the right hand route into the bay.

Your single arm starter needs to be further in front of the point blades and more likely to be on the platform. The double arm starter needs to be closer the the platform also, again, Lower arm indicates a subsidiary route, usually starters are same height unless there is a secondary route exit. In this case, I would say you'd need 3 signals again. 2 same height starters and a lower, smaller armed signal under each for the route from the goods depot or platform into the coal merchants. The exit from the coal merchants only need be controlled by a shunt dummy.

Add some shunting dummy's into the mix and i'll get back to you again!

GeoffW

Postby GeoffW » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks. I'm interested in the servos you use and any pictures as I'm trying to do the same - Have a couple of brass models to make up from Wizardmodels too. I'll look at the ratio ones.

jamest

Postby jamest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Matt,

I have no advice to add for the signaling I'm afraid.

But I like the design very much - looks like a lot of fun - and also has a good 'flow' to it with the nice gentle siding curves. Some layouts on thin long boards look too 'straight'.

I too have gone for a small layout for a winter project but have opted for a thro' station for mine - and made it quite 'straight'!

Will watch with interest.

Cheers,
James

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Tom, thanks for the advice. I shall bear those comments in mind when coming to drill out the board for the signal posts!! I had only put them in the diagram more so for positions, but thanks anyway!! I want it to be as true to real as possible, and I have very limited knowledge!!

Glad others are enjoying it. Its very slow as my main hobby is the 8x8 BR, but this is just for some more 'intricate' work.

And on that, here's the most complicated signal I've made!! All works which I'm pleased with to!!

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 pm

This is still undergoing and moved into the loft now for indoor work!!

New purchase today of a Bachmann Class 5mt in BR Green which I'm very happy with.

Plans are now afoot for extending it further around the loft with a single branch line leaving the station and round, through a valley and onto another station which will feature a coaling stage, goods depot and turntable with space for a small engine shed.

This part can then either be left in-situ and the current board exhibited, or the complete layout in an L shape.
Pics and plans will follow soon!!

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 am

Can't help with signalling, but it's a nice layout.
Pete.

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Taken a while to finalise, but this is what I intend to build.

Still got a few points outstanding and I haven't got a clue when I'm going to get the time to build it, so will just have to wait and see!!

Thoughts, advice and questions greatly received!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Fri May 04, 2012 11:17 pm

matt1471 wrote:Taken a while to finalise, but this is what I intend to build.

Still got a few points outstanding and I haven't got a clue when I'm going to get the time to build it, so will just have to wait and see!!

Thoughts, advice and questions greatly received!

The plan looks great, but funny enough, it looks very similar to my previous layout that I sold in January! In fact, comparing your plan with my old layout, I didnt have a turntable, and I had an extra siding, otherwise I could be looking at the plan for my old layout. You even have the three-way point at the same position as in my old layout! There's a photo of my old layout in my Welton Stations thread, page 4, and you'll see what I mean. How weird!

Looking forward to see your layout developing.

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:18 pm

That is strange!! I honestly haven't copied yours either!! My first couple of attempts ended up very the much the same as the original bit. Maybe an element of 'must have a run-a-round and a siding' plays a part on design.

I'm pleased though with the final result so just looking forward to starting building it!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”