WCML in the garage

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
87 101

WCML in the garage

Postby 87 101 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Ok here we go again with a new project.

Well after 5 years the heatherburn will shortly be history. For the past 3 of those years I have had to sit and watch this epic project slip further and further into decay due to my job situation with the constant threat that we could loose the house at any time hanging over us. Back in feb 2009 on the YMR forum we decided to build a series of modules that would link up to form a long layout. Thus Potters Lane was born. Potters was originaly designed as two 3'x2' modules that would fit together into a box so that the module could be shipped around to shows. This was ok untill I looked into fitting the OHLE so I decided to bolt the two halfs together to form a 6'x2' module. In dec 2009 potters was invited to the Perth green show as a work in progress where it subsequently attracted a show invite to Birtley the following march. By the time it came to take Potters to Cornwall the module had already done 4 shows. Following Cornwall Potters attended Shildon and then stood in for a layout at Gateshead not bad for a YMR module that was built for one show!!

After Gateshead I decided to rebuild Potters to make it more robust and it was joined by a new module Trent valley. The rebuilt layout made its debut at Perth green back in march 2011 and in June we took it to NRM Shildon. The next outing will be at Tanfield steam gala on sept 10th-11th and after making its 10th show appearence it will be retired. Both Gary and myself not to mention Rachel have enjoyed visiting shows with the layout and it always gets a good reaction from the public but from a practical point of view its time for change. Getting Potters up and down the stairs is a logistical nightmare as the rebuild used MDF that weighs a ton. Potters has also sagged in the middle where the two halfs were bolted together. Recently I have been suffering with a bit of depression mainly due to my part time job, making stuff for others and basicly not being able to switch off from life. The lack of an operational layout at home has not helped.

Anyway now I have depressed everyone its time for change. I have two layouts in the planning one in N one 00. The N gauge layout will be built as a show layout and will be a model of Kidsgrove in Staffordshire as it was in 1984. It should be a straight forward build as I researched the real place in 84 and have loads of pics. That leaves the 00 layout....

The new layout will be housed in the garage. I have worked out that 16'x8' will fit with a slight gap round the sides so this will be the size of the new layout. The layout will be designed to occasionaly leave home so this will proberly restrict the base board sizes to about 5' long so that they will fit in a van. One of the features I liked about the YMR module set up was Owens curved viaduct so the new layout will have one. The sprit of the heatherburn will live on as I want to recreate the canal scene with the tall warehouses. The row of terrace houses will also be reused. I will also be reusing the flyover from Trent valley although this time it will actualy go somewhere. Stock storage is important so im looking at a lower fiddle yard under the layout with either inclines or a helix. A terminus station would be nice although the layout will proberly just have a small through station using the buildings from potters. The engine shed will also be rebuilt complete with working lift although with a few design modifications to the mech. A nice new control panel will be built similar to the one I built for Piccadilly. So plenty to think about. With the new layout I have also been looking at access to the garage. As the main door was damaged when we bought the house I simply nailed it into position with 6" nails and then boarded over the back. At the back of the garage there is a door and window. I have mesured the gap between the outside walls and worked out that I can replace the door and window with a patio door quite easly as there is an RSJ running across the top of the window/door frame. Idealy we want to replace the existing patio door with french doors so when that happens I can use the old patio door for the garage. With this in mind the viaduct section will be at that end of the garage so that it can be viewed from both sides. The layout will be at waist height so that I can duck under and more importantly finaly fit radators inside the garage. So there you have it so far.... no name... no plan.....no funds......should be fun!!

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: WCML in the garage

Postby Durseytu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Dave,

I was about to post a response on the AC Lines thread until I noticed that this was in the list. I must say that I am saddened to hear that you have had problems too and have struggled. I know there are a bunch of people here who have gone through hard times, yet I never thought that it could be me too until recently. One thing that I have learnt is the value in what we all do here and how therapeutic railway modelling can be.

I've always been staggered by the quality of your modelling, so I know that whatever you come up with regardless of budget will be inspirational. Your modular layouts while fantastic and are great for shows, you sometimes can't beat the pleasure of watching the trains go by, which sounds like you will be able to do with your new plans. I hadn't set foot in my loft for three months, and to be able to just sit and watch trains go by with a cup of tea in hand helped me forget about a lot of my problems.

It's a shame that I never managed to get to see Potters at a show, but I shall eagerly look forward to your new plans and subsequent updates.

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Having seen your work in the flesh I think I can safely say that the forthcoming project will be a success - Good luck Dave

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Any mention of Kidsgrove means one thing to me - the muckiest brown canal I have ever seen! Passed it many a time travelling to & from Crewe in the 50's & 60's - is it still the same? Was it still bad in 1984 and, more importantly, will you be including it?

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks guys. Yes Kidsgrove still has the brown water due to the ore in Haircastle tunnel. Back in 84 my dad took loads of black and white pics of the area around the canal and station and plenty of colour pics of the station itself. I did model Kidsgrove 20 year ago but I was restricted to 9'x2'. The new version will be much longer as I want to model from the new tunnel right through to the old junction with the loop lines. The canal water on potters was based on kidsgrove as was some of the buildings.
Well last night I stated breaking up the Heatherburn so the garage is not a pritty sight at the moment. This afternoon im going to soak a large section of baseboard in the bath in an attempt to soften the balast as there are a few expensive points attached to it !

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Im realy struggeling at the moment to get a plan sorted for the new layout but flicking through the peco plans book I quite like this..

The size is the same as the space that I have so it gives me a good idea of what is possable. Looks like I will be getting some lining paper at the weekend.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm

:shock:

Well, get cracking Dave :lol:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Dave,
As always we await with baited breath to see another masterpiece come to life, just a shame that you live the other end of the country, as I won't be able to run ''Pagend Mith'' like i was allowed to do on Potters Lane when you visited Cornwall with it.

Ian

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Heres my plan so far. The four circles are 1st-4th radius set track for comparson.

Im looking at a 4 track main line loop with possably a second level above.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Latest evloution of the plan. The red sections are the top level with the terminus and loco shed.

The flyover will be recyled from Trent valley. Got to add the lower storage sidings yet and the return loop.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok heres the master plan..

The red lines are the top level, blue and green are the middle whilst yellow is the lower return loop. At the left we have Linslade tunnels as the secnic break moving on to a rebuilt trent valley junction then a 4 track viaduct before dissapearing into two tunnels. The lines to the station will be on a higher viaduct. The area between the viaducts will feature the houses and warehouses off the heatherburn with a recreation of the canal scene. The right hand side will be the end of the garage where the patio door is going. As the line now goes under the station in a tunnel I mightcurve the depot area round a bit in the corner.

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:41 am

Wow- that's some plan!

I hear what you say my friend about struggling through the hard times. I've just been there and now there is light at the end of the tunnel as my business is now starting to take off after going alone.
To keep my sanity I embarked on a new layout made with scraps I had laying around and bits and bobs left over from older layouts. I spent minimum money on my current layout by reducing the amount of points ( in fact none on my current layout ).

Your planned layout looks so interesting- I do hope it gives you so much pleasure when creating it for real.

regards

PF

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:44 pm

My N gauge trumptonshire layout is no more. Now that it and Heatherburn are out of the way tonight I got to visulise the railway rooms available space. This has bought about a rethink with my plan as I quite like the open space in the middle. Heres the new plan...

With this plan I have moved the return loop into the right hand corner. This has freed up space under the baseboards. I have also split the storage yards. Now I have up trains at one side of the room and down trains at the other side. This has allowed me to compress the width of the baseboard from 3 feet to 18". With an 18" baseboard on the other side I now have a clear 5 feet in the middle to move about in. The crossovers have been altered so that trains on the fast lines can access the new small surburban station on the slow lines. The lines to the flyover have been moved apart to make way for the new station.

413x

Postby 413x » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 am

Nice plan mate hope it all goes well for you!!! Sorry if this has been covered but what time period do you plan to do? Good luck and have fun :?

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 am

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one develop.
I've avidly followed your previous work and I'm sure this one will be as good if not better.
Added interest for me because the WCML was my 'local' line as a youngster.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”