Kinning Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
kinning

Kinning Park

Postby kinning » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 am

I will keep all my updates here. Got some flooring underlay. Cut into strips and I am currently in the progress of laying this under the track. Will cut it nice and tidy once all pinned down. It dose reduce the noise a good bit. I will get the 3 loops done and then work on the outer loop “D tour” Picture 3. Planning on an upper lever/ shunting yard at the back, Picture 2.

Last edited by kinning on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Kinning's Layout

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Kinning, Can I ofer some advice based on painful experience, I would do some serious de-cluttering of your workspace, and keep those nice locomotives away from heavy sharp tools. I have had a couple of issues with locomotives being damaged because they were not stored properly when heavy work was going on. Can I also suggest a name for your layout - Kinning Park, which is an underground station in Glasgow!!!

Best of luck with your project.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

kinning

Postby kinning » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Tidied up rightly tonight. Before I read this post, pleased at that. Took the foam of
As it wasn't working the best. Nailing down track.'waiting on a few items arriving of eBay. Then will start to work on the hill/ bridge line.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:24 am

A decent controller lurking in the background there, the H&M Powermaster. They had part of the transformer secondary winding exposed with a moving contact sliding across the surface, so the output voltage was varied instead of having a variable resistance in series with the motor. It was only the introduction of transistorised controllers that bettered it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kinning

Postby kinning » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Bufferstop wrote:A decent controller

There is a few controllers here. Will get pics of them and posted up. Not many connections on them though.

kinning

Re: Kinning Park

Postby kinning » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:52 pm

kinning

Postby kinning » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Update: I have now got all my track pinned down. Old Powermaster controller wired in. One point motor working; very pleased with myself. Only 15+ to go. Still have to work on my incline to make them more stable. Most parts for the control box have arrived. Just need to purchase point motors of eBay. May have a problem with installing a point motor as its right against the beam. So cant install surface or underneath. Will post pics later.

kinning

Postby kinning » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 am

Some pics

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:01 am

Very interesting looking layout, but hope you don't mind me saying the inclines either side of the bridge look terrifically steep. What locos/loads can you get over it?

kinning

Postby kinning » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah they are steep but the best I can do. Open to ideas for using the bridge ect!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Have you actually tried to run a loco over the bridge yet? If not I suggest you do, if only to see if it can cope or not.

I think you could probably do with putting plywood (3.6mm should cope with the job) under the track on the inclines just to give it some strength (particularly in view of the unsupported rail joints). Whilst giving more stability it will immediately raise the rail height (something you don't want in the circumstances!) so you would need to re-site the supports, and try to start the inclines as far away from the bridge as possible.

What clearance is there under the bridge - is there enough for you to reduce its height by cutting off some of the base?

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Out of interest is that 1, 2 and 3 radii curves. If so some of your locomotives might have issues getting round the inner circle.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

kinning

Postby kinning » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Revamp done. Instead of 3 full loops now have 2-1/2 with one being an incline and cutting across the back of the table. Pics posted once all sorted.

kinning

Postby kinning » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

New loco arrived today.
A little "jumpy" jittery is this usual for new engine.

kinning

Postby kinning » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 pm

opting for the loop round the beam and a yard on the large board. Image
ImageImage

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”