Gateside and Northbridge - It begins at last!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lachute

Re: Gateside and Northbridge - It begins at last!

Postby Lachute » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:24 am

Warning: All my topics and videos contain deadly combinations of Low-Tech and Low-IQ.
My YouTube Channel

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:37 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Great to see progress Jim.

Will there be track on that raised long stretch of ply on the right, is it to be Gateside or is it just for buildings?

Thanks as always for the suportive comments everyone!

Ex-Pat - the stretch behind the backscene will be hidden sidings forming "Fiddle South" (ECML/Waverley Route etc), four long tracks capable of holding eight coach trains, although 5 to 6 will be the norm. Gateside will be on the other side (eventually). As usual I started with a nice neat drawing, scanned it and now have altered it so that it is very untidy looking.

trackplan.jpg

Need to click on the photograph and enlarge for it to be any use!

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks for the plan Jim - it all makes sense now!

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Love that track plan, loads of great operating potential there.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi all - FAR too hot to go up and work in the loft this week so I have been pressing on with the graphics for two of the control panels, (there will be five eventually). One of the mistakes I made on the last layout was to lay track and run wires before I built the control panels, this led to problems and three of the original panels had to be totally rewired and rebuilt.
Trying once again to simulate the integro domino panels built by BR back in the 1970s

Northbridge East and Fiddle South

Fiddle Yard South Control Panel.jpg

And Northbridge West

Northbridge West COMPLETE.jpg

Track layout is much simpler than the last Northbridge, so hopefully will be easier to operate, I never did get the hang of the old Northbridge!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:45 am

Hi All - I fully expected to have track down and something running by now, but I realised that the limited space might cause issues if I was to get some nice buildings assembled then I had to negotiate the remaining sheets of ply for the Gateside Boards into the loft! A 4 x 2 sheet of ply bumps off everything on its way through the hatch so change of plan and I went to B&Q for the remaining wood on Friday. There seems to be a bit of a shortage of ply just mow and there was no 9mm 4 x 2s to be had so I have bought a sheet of 9mm OSB Board. AS it will be covered with cork sheet or other scenic material I should be OK, anyone else tried this timber product for baseboards?
Frame currently 80% assembled so I am reaching the point of no excuses!

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:50 am

luckymucklebackit wrote: so I am reaching the point of no excuses!

Jim

I can always find one (at least)!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi All = Tonight's progress report, still slow but steady

The bridge piece has now been fitted and is working OK

20200914_193038 (1024x768).jpg
Bridge piece open

20200914_193815 (1024x768).jpg
Bridge Piece Closed

20200914_193013 (1024x768).jpg
Track on bridge piece

The edge of the curved track is a bit near the edge, think I might put in some timber one scenic work starts

20200914_193046 (1024x768).jpg
Control Panel

The control panel is mounted above the layout as there is insufficient space to put it in front of the boards, I will run the wires in a conduit down the roof beams. The panel itself is the printed A4 sheet mounted on a sheet of thin card then glued to a sheet of 5mm ply, with a timber frame around the edges. To finish off I used clear self adhesive plastic from "The Works" It is easily demounted and is just in place to check alignment, need to put the switches in place and wire up.

20200914_193740 (1024x768).jpg
Trial layout of track

The trial positioning of the track seems OK so I will plod on with the next stage.

Cheers

Jim

manna

Postby manna » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 am

G'Day Gents

Oh Goodie..........track laying :D :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am

It's the stage when you feel you are getting somewhere at last.

Will you be wiring and testing each section as you go?

Looks like a piece of Set Track on the bridge section - how much such track will you be incorporating?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Yes Guys, I think I can see the faintest chink of light at the end of the tunnel! Ex-Pat - yes it is the general idea to get each panel and the tracks they control fully wired and tested before moving on and yes as I knew the lifting section was going to bridge a join on the curve I took the precaution of buying a semi-circle of third radius Peco NS curves so that the cut would be on a rigid rail rather than flexi track, although I have got a sheet of PCB to reinforce the join. I also found that I have a lot more set track including more Hornby 3rd radius curves, but it is steel rail so I am wary of using it.
Just waiting on a new soldering iron kit being delivered as my old one seems to have got lost in the move.
I was a bit concerned about the amount of cork underlay that I would need, I bought four rolls but a layout of this size is going to need a lot more, I was thinking of using mounting card as an insulating sheet in the fiddle yard areas to cut down on costs, bought three sheets today so I will see it it works.

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”