Gateside and Northbridge - Mk4 not really feasable:-(

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Buggleskelly

Re: The Allanshaw Inglenook (Was Gateside and Northbridge (closed))

Postby Buggleskelly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 am

Best wishes with your change in circumstances, and thanks for the enjoyment of viewing your layout. I look forward to viewing your future modelling projects.

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:51 am

All that work you put in! but the wife does come first, hope the move isn't too strenuous on you both and wish you all the best for you both

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Jim.
I too am sorry to hear of your dear lady's heath challenges. Lady G and I wish her well.

As for railway modeling, layouts come and go. The funny thing is is the ones that come after seem to be much better. (And 'by golly', Gateside & Northbridge will take some beating.)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 am

I hope all goes well with the move. A change of house can present some exciting opportunities, even in a smaller space. Being in an inbetween position of not knowing what to build can be difficult which is where a portable or semi portable model railway has an advantage.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Sorry to hear of Mrs. H's health Jim. I hope, like the other members, that you have an
easy move to your new Bungalow. No. 1 is your wife Jim, railway modelling comes 2nd.

At least when you do re-start on layout work, any mistakes or issues can be avoided or
overcome by lessons learnt from Gateshead and Northbridge.

We can all look forward to seeing updates once you have settled in and addressed your
wife's health needs first.

(The Allanshaw Inglenook is looking fabulous), this surely will be stretching it's legs at shows once complete.

Speak soon Jim.

Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Forgot to mention Jim, the class 40's look superb, my favourite locos.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Thank you all very much for all the kind thoughts everyone. I should say that the move is not imminent, it could be this year, it could be up to three years depending on getting the right place at the right price, but given the size of the layout I think it is prudent to start now to dismantle it carefully and salvage as much as possible, rather than face a tight deadline and rip it to bits. Living in Eaglesham, the options for affordable single story housing is limited, we have discussed having a flat but I have had experience of noisy neighbors upstairs and this is the last thing I want at this time of life. The other option is to move down to the coast, which I think is the best option, however it would mean a longer commute for me for a few years. It is all in the lap of the Gods just now, just need to try and make the best of a difficult situation. :)

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

manna

Postby manna » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 pm

G'Day Gents

Sorry to hear that you railway is to be dismantled, but wives and family come first.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Only just seen your post Jim, and am shattered by the news. Only just recovering from no Alloa at Model Rail Scotland, and now no G & N - but, as everyone else says - Mrs LM must be the priority, and I hope that things work out ok on all fronts.

I shall certainly miss your posts.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Do you have to be confined to the current area that you live? I say this as that there are many areas of the country where one can find properties at very reasonable prices. For example, the Crosshands to Tumble and Drefach area in the eastern part of South West Wales has very reasonable prices and easy access to the M4. No doubt there are others as well. I live near the coast and I have mixed feelings. I love the views of the sea but I would not want to live right by the sea.
Is just a thought.
Another thought comes to mind, and that is to make a fun micro layout to occupy the time befoee the house move. Something easy to build, easily portable, cheap and fun.
Something you could sell on or give away after you have moved, or use it as part of another layout after the house move.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am

Mountain wrote:Do you have to be confined to the current area that you live? I say this as that there are many areas of the country where one can find properties at very reasonable prices. For example, the Crosshands to Tumble and Drefach area in the eastern part of South West Wales has very reasonable prices and easy access to the M4. No doubt there are others as well. I live near the coast and I have mixed feelings. I love the views of the sea but I would not want to live right by the sea.
Is just a thought.
Another thought comes to mind, and that is to make a fun micro layout to occupy the time befoee the house move. Something easy to build, easily portable, cheap and fun.
Something you could sell on or give away after you have moved, or use it as part of another layout after the house move.

Thanks Mountain - I have two projects that will remain as on going, The Allenshaw project (clue in the thread title) and the St Margarets project, as regards moving, yes we are not excluding a move to the Clyde coast, but South West Wales might be just a tad to far to commute to my work in Paisley!! :D I was actually checking up on travel costs, from Prestwick or Troon to Paisley a monthly season ticket on the train is £202, approximate fuel costs for the same trip work out at about £230, so I might at some point become a rail commuter, we are going down to see a cottage near Troon on Saturday, which ticks a lot of boxes (25 ft long loft :o ). Not getting my hopes up as it might be too early to do a deal as out house is far from ready to go on the market. Interesting times!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 am

Well it has gone. finished off pulling up the track last night and the boards are covered in boxes and bags of buildings and accessories. We have had an offer for a cottage accepted subject to the sale of our own house so if anyone wants a three bedroom house in Eaglesham with boards in place to start a layout let me know.

However.......

The cottage has a 25 foot long attic space :D !!! Not going to start getting my hopes up until the move is over and I will not start thinking about how to fill it until i can get a close look at the rafter positions etc, but at least there is hope for another layout. Son of G&N? Perhaps not, I am thinking of something considerably less complicated.

Jim

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi Jim, we were abroad when you dropped your bombshell, Mrs W and I wish you both as well as the circumstances will permit. The best way we've found is to be thankful for what you still have and be determined to make the most of it. I've always seen a forced change of circumstances as an opportunity to build a better layout. Allenshaw and St Margarets can well become modules to insert into something bigger (around 25' perhaps.

Best wishes to you both

John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Was looking foward to seeing your progress in the last few months and great to see what was achieved.
I hope all the best for your lady and your move into a smaller quarters.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed May 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks Josh - we are just getting the last of the legal stuff tied up and we are on schedule to move on the 10th of May, absolutely champing at the bit to be doing something again! No doubt Mrs Luckymucklebackit will have other priorities but the weekend after we move is the Troon Model Railway Exhibition, will be going to that one as it will be just down the road!

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”