The Allanshaw Inglenook (Was Gateside and Northbridge (closed))

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Definitely do not run DCC loco's with a Relco attached! :o It potentially already have damaged the decoder! One way trouble sounds more like a pickup issue though?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks Timbersurf - will try again with the Relco taken out - oops

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:39 am

Yes Jim, TimberSurf is correct, DCC and Relco units definitely do not get along at all.

As you are running on DC, you may find it still works, once you've taken out the Relco unit.

A quick way is to test it on a spare controller direct.

Best of luck.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Cheers Jim - testing it direct off the controller is exactly what I did tonight and it ran perfectly so the Relco looks like it is the problem, it will need to come out! When you place the Bachmann and Hornby class 40s together it is very apparent where the pedigree lies, the Bachmann loco is so much more detailed. The most obvious features are the windows and handrails, but I also want to get rid of the two traction tyres and add some weight

The reason I went for a Hornby one was to provide a chassis that I can swap between D232 and the other two Lima locos during a visit to the fiddle yard, so there will be some work done to all three bodies eventually

Another experimental outcome from the show was the purchase of a low relief factory offices from Ten Commandments, these come as plain plaster castings. Painting is tricky, especially around the window frames, first attempt seen here, not really happy with the results so I will need to play around with these to see if I can improve on this first effort

Image[/url]

Off on a business trip tomorrow, looking forward to it as it is in Crewe of all places, and I am booked into the Crewe Arms Hotel right next to the station, hopefully get a room overlooking the station :D

Cheers all

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Before you leave Jim for the 'Crewe Hotel, Crewe, right next to the railway' you lucky blighter,
thought I would mention I have seen the windows cut out from Ten Commandments low relief stuff
and replaced with finer glazed frames.

Maybe an option to consider.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 pm

railwayjim wrote:Before you leave Jim for the 'Crewe Hotel, Crewe, right next to the railway' you lucky blighter,
thought I would mention I have seen the windows cut out from Ten Commandments low relief stuff
and replaced with finer glazed frames.

Maybe an option to consider.

Jim.

Jim - Are you talking about complete plug-in frames, if that is the case I would be interested as painting the plaster is almost impossible to get right, the one they had on the stand was quite good, but I am struggling as I am not the best with a paintbrush.

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:31 am

Yes Jim, cutting out the casting of the window opening and replacing with
plastic or laser cut frames with glazing behind.

I guess the difficult part is sourcing frames of the right size. Possibly http://www.lcut.co.uk
or maybe Justin at Model Railway Scenery may be interested as they could probably
sell them to others?

Another option before you get the Dremel out is painting the existing windows gloss black
to represent shiny glass and then going over the frames with a car touch up pen, available
in all colours and easier to control than a brush.

Enjoy your trip.

Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hi Jim, & Errr Jim,

Interesting, I've looked at Ten Commandments castings and they look good.
Modifying windows shouldn't be too difficult, again though depends on steady hands.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 pm

...Just a quick postscript from the Crewe trip, if you ever stay at the Crewe Arms Hotel and they tell you that you are in room 103, politely tell them you want another room! It is the ultimate torture as a railway enthusiast, the window looks out over the road that crosses Crewe Station with no view of the tracks, and if you stand on the toilet bowl you can just about see movements in and out of the station, but you can hear every announcement made in the station, and if anything moves in or out of platform 1 you not only hear it, you feel it! Thankfully they moved me to another room at the other side of the hotel the second night an I got a nights sleep. Virgin West coast excelled themselves, with on time running in both directions, spent a couple of hours at the station on the Wednesday (full sun) and today (full dull) and although it wasn't a patch on the Crewe of old it was quite interesting.

Back home and back to the layout, just did a clear up tonight, back to creative stuff soon

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:19 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote: and if you stand on the toilet bowl you can just about see movements in and out of the station,

Jim

The mind boggles!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 am

Quote........'and if you stand on the toilet bowl you can just about see movements in and out of the station,'

Should toilet bowl and movements be mentioned in the same sentence? :lol:

Too much information. :lol:

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 pm

railwayjim wrote:Quote........'and if you stand on the toilet bowl you can just about see movements in and out of the station,'

Should toilet bowl and movements be mentioned in the same sentence? :lol:

Too much information. :lol:

Jim

I would like to say I was trainspotting..........

....but I was really just going through the motions :D

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:32 am

NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF PASSENGER AND GOODS SERVICES

As from today 4th March 2019, all passenger and goods services between Gateside Buchanan St, Mavisbank and Northbridge are withdrawn, the stations at Gateside Buchanan St, Mavisbank and Northbridge are closed! :cry:

Yes, all good things have to come to an end and due to the deteriorating health of Mrs Luckymucklbackit we will be downsizing our house to something smaller and on the level, so in preparation for the move the layout will be gradually dismantled and the stock and salvageable building put into storage. I have mixed feelings about this, it was a great layout to build, but it did have an increasing number of operating challenges, with problems running trains (dirty rails, points failures), usually in the most inaccessible positions round the back of the layout.
The good news is that Allenshaw will continue to be developed as a portable standalone, and the St, Margaret's Depot module will be taken off the main layout intact with a probable future as a small depot layout.

Thanks to everyone who have commented favorably about the layout in the past, the thread will continue to report on progress with the smaller chunks of layout, who knows what the future will bring.

Jim

TimberSurf

Re: The Allanshaw Inglenook (Was Gateside and Northbridge (closed))

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 am

It is always very sad to hear of the demise of a layout, especially of one that I have enjoyed watching so much :cry: .
I am sure you can take away many happy memories of the build process.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the micro layout updates.
Take heart, that bungalows usually have large lofts! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Re: The Allanshaw Inglenook (Was Gateside and Northbridge (closed))

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:09 am

Hi Jim,

So sorry to hear of the dear lady's health problems.

We moved from a house to a bungalow 5 years back and I 'lost' my
20' x 10' garage. In my case I had to scrap loads of quality aircraft
models, but if there's no room there was no option !

I shall miss Gateside & Northbridge, so long as you're around I'm
certain we can enjoy continued construction of compact layouts.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”