Gateside and Northbridge - Mk4 not really feasable:-(

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Should be interesting, detailing it as you remember Jim.

Sad sight seeing it all nowadays (advancement?). I think not.

Similar problems in Blackpool, first pic approaching bridge, entering Blackpool Central past the old loco depot to the right.

Second pic taken from bridge, same area looking other way, also showing single siding which is now Blackpool South Station. It's tragic really.

15822639_1510298858997606_1056548236823860251_n.jpg

15697407_1510298795664279_7738184717115768988_n.jpg

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Jim - That is a great photograph, you can pinpoint roughly where it was taken on this old map, although I think there may have been some track changes over the years, the NLS map site had dome the 1:2500 maps from the post war years in Scotland and is now starting to expand the coverage to urban areas of England, it is a great research resource for railway history.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.8016&lon=-3.0500&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:11 pm

Wow - Thanks for the link Jim, very interesting.

Can't be many bridges you could stand on and have 20 tracks pass under you :shock:

I'm going back for a longer study using your link, thanks Jim.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I have the weather to thank for the lack of updates, ballast was applied on Thursday night and as of this afternoon it has still not set fully, in one area it appeared to be solid but it was only a crust with wet glue underneath, resulting in a repair being required - leaving well alone until I am sure all has set properly! :(

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 pm

I managed to get quite a lot done over the weekend and tonight, I had painted the backscence boards a pale blue and started to position them in place, makes quite a difference

I have also fabricated a "shelf" for the back of the shunting plank, this is needed to raise things above the levers that actuate the uncouplers, there will be low relief buildings sitting on top of this shelf with a brick faced wall to track level

And below the bridge, the low level track diorama is taking shape, it is quite surprising how good some old Hornby set-track can look with a bit of ballast and some paint

I need to have a think about the fiddle yard end of the layout now, cant make my mind up whether to have a fixed board with a couple of points, or to attempt a sliding cassette, need to sleep on that one!

Jim

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm

very nice modelling, you have the weather worn look to a t

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am

Thanks Jaz - for the brick building that will go at the back I took delivery of some lovely laser cut parts from York Modelrail, I bought the circular brick surrounds and the window frames https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/00-scale/round-windows-and-louvers-2/round-window-502 and https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/round-brick-and-stone-headers-5-04 which will save a lot of work. They have some good stuff on line and their service was excellent.

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Evening all! Well as expected the last week has been taken up hacking various bits of timber and hardboard up to form the fiddle yard end of the "cradle". I decided not to risk anything fancy as my woodworking skills are less than expert and I wanted to avoid spending money on something that would not be any more useful than a plain couple of sidings, that and the whole theme of the exercise was to use up as much scrap stuff lying about the loft as I could. What I have gone for is the rear of the layout is a plain shelf onto which will be attached a couple of sidings, just to provide variety on what can appear on the main shunting yard,

At the front I continued half of the roof line of the foundry, for now I have just painted it black (the paint is still wet hence the glossy look) but if I ever run out of other jobs to do the option is there to clad it with corrugated plasticard to match the low relief building on the layout. This photo doesn't really show exactly what I mean but I couldn't reassemble the layout while the paint was wet

The backscene boards are now in this place too, note the cut-outs which are required to access the controls. I will need to reassemble the components of the layout to align the rest of the supports as at the moment it is decidedly flimsy at the end!

Once again it was one of those weeks where a lot of hard graft doesn't show up as very much visible progress, next task is to return to the bridge half of the cradle and get the embankments given a good cover of long grass and other shrubbery, I have a good few low relief buildings to do but these will need to wait until the Glasgow Show to get the materials needed - Squires can expect a good few pounds from me next weekend :)

More soon

Jim

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm

I love the bridge over the the larger railway as it gives the illusion of a large railway network.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Belated thanks Mountain - the past week I have completed the backscene boards, solved the issue of the flimsy backscene board by gluing a piece of hardboard onto the back of the board to make a tab, and on the adjacent board I fitted an upright with a hardboard spacer to provide a slot, works a treat.

With that done it was back to scenic work, and the photographs show the progress so far.

Returning to an old method that has been successful in the past, the embankments have been coated with PVA and hanging basket material pressed in place, this will give a base of scrub onto which static grass will be applied, the leftmost track has been given a liberal application of static grass to give that totally abandoned look.

The yard on the right hand side of the "main lines" has been given a lesser application of static grass to give that "neglected but used" look. I have been experimenting with chalks to get that light rust look for the top of the rails that you see when traffic passes over the track but not enough to polish the top

All left to set, off to Holland tomorrow, Model Rail Scotland on Friday!

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:22 pm

I managed to finish off the vegetation on the embankments tonight which effectively finishes off 80% of the layout, I reprised the fence on the main layout and added a redundant signal, still some small details to add just to finish also some detail to the lower level, I am tempted to add the OHLE, but it needs to be the old Mk1 style, which means a scratchbuild job

As previously mentioned I am at the show on Friday with a big shopping list for components for the buildings that are to go at the back.

Couple of general views

Cheers

Jim

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Standard A+, Jim. Excellent. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks Glencairn! I went to the Glasgow show on Friday and picked up a lot of raw materials to continue the build, bought some of these plaster cast buildings from Ten Commandments models, just need to work out the best way to paint them now, Bargains of the day were that I set out without much hope of replacing my two Lima class 40s with better examples, but came away with a Bachmann green 40 for £70 and a Hornby DCC/TTS fitted class 40 for £55!

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm

I have to say Jim, that looks absolutely brilliant. A first class job with all of it, but I especially
like the over-grown sidings, they look spot on, very realistic indeed. Looking forward to seeing
how the Ten Commandments buildings come out.

Nothing to report on Millsend, enjoying running sessions now though :D

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:26 pm

Cheers Jim!!

I gave the two second hand 40s a trial run this evening, the Bachmann model ran faultlessly, but the Hornby model is more of a problem, it runs fine in once direction but in the other direction it will run about six inches then stop, six inches then stop (and repeat). I turned the loco round and the stuttering movement turned with the loco. It is a full DCC loco with the TTS sound but I was told the loco should run on DC without issue. Anyone offer an explanation for this issue, I took the body off but there doesn't seem to be a way of fitting a blanking plug and I do have a Relco wired in line, could this be the issue,

Any help appreciated

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”