Gateside and Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby railwayjim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Looks like your first job Jim ..... build a pylon :D

Cracking drawing to go off.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:59 pm

railwayjim wrote:Looks like your first job Jim ..... build a pylon :D

Cracking drawing to go off.

Jim.

...or https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/pylons.html If I was prepared to use something that is about 1/3 the size they should be!

:D
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Todays job was fettling up the bridge then painting, I used a stiff plaster as I needed to make up a mix for the embankments to the front so two birds were killed with the one stone, The plaster worked out well and when dry I started to paint, For this process I split the boards up as the first coat was a spray all over of the Halfords khaki which I thought would work quite well as the base colour for the mortar. Once that was touch dry I roughly mixed up acrylic white and black to give a variable grey colour, this was dry brushed on to the plastic trying not to get it into the grooves as much as possible, this was then followed by a couple of brown colours to give a variable finish. The photographs with the flash show up all the flaws in gory detail so another couple of washes and perhaps some weathering powder would finish it nicely.

The next part of the project is the backscene, and I have to admit that although I have several ideas how this is going to come together I think I will need to mock up some card templates to see what works, one problem is the position of the actuators for the points, particularly the "king point" next to the bridge, this was configured to work with the Inglenook installed on the main layout, but it is going to be tricky to keep it accessible with any structures around it.

More news soon

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:50 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote: The photographs with the flash show up all the flaws in gory detail so another couple of washes and perhaps some weathering powder would finish it nicely.

Jim

What flaws? - if you're referring to the odd "bald" patch on the embankments then I wouldn't call them flaws - just totally realistic discarded litter!

Looks great to me.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:25 am

The problem with dry brushing is that is that you always end up with some in the mortar! :shock: Painting the brick colour first then using a mortar wash sounds a better principle, but every time I try, I end up with mortar coloured bricks! I guess it is something that takes years of practice before mastering and we only get to do it just a few times! Lets hope your further washes remedies your critical eye, I think without the flash they probably look great! :lol:
Who's plasticard is that?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

TimberSurf wrote:The problem with dry brushing is that is that you always end up with some in the mortar! :shock: Painting the brick colour first then using a mortar wash sounds a better principle, but every time I try, I end up with mortar coloured bricks! I guess it is something that takes years of practice before mastering and we only get to do it just a few times! Lets hope your further washes remedies your critical eye, I think without the flash they probably look great! :lol:
Who's plasticard is that?

Hi Timbersurf - the Plastikard is Slaters 7mm Cotswold Stone ref Number SLT041, it was suggested to me by a guy on RMweb who had done a Scottish layout and used it for his abutments, as railwayim can attest, using 7mm plasticard is sometimes better than using 4mm, I find that the embossing is a little deeper so dry brushing is more effective. Either way I still find it is a bit of trial and error, I will tinker away at it until I feel that it is right. I am using a photo of the wall opposite from Google Streetviewas a template but this wall had been shotblasted and should really be darker for the era I am modelling

wall.JPG

Cheers everyone

Jim

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Flaws? You're way to particular haha. Its looks great! I think we all niggle at what we create than really looks brilliant to everyone else.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks Josh, I had another look at it tonight and I am quite happy about it, have started to formulate the plan for the backscene and the low relief buildings, watch this space!

Jim

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 pm

TimberSurf wrote:The problem with dry brushing is that is that you always end up with some in the mortar!

I don't. I've found the secret is almost no paint on the brush. I wipe most off on a tissue / kitchen roll so it soaks it off the brush.
I do the morter first with a wash or 2 then do the dry brushing with how ever many coats it takes to be satisfied.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm

End2end wrote:
TimberSurf wrote:The problem with dry brushing is that is that you always end up with some in the mortar!

I don't. I've found the secret is almost no paint on the brush. I wipe most off on a tissue / kitchen roll so it soaks it off the brush.
I do the morter first with a wash or 2 then do the dry brushing with how ever many coats it takes to be satisfied.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

That is where the chalk sticks come in handy as well, even the loose chalk powder doesn't tend to go into the grooves.

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Continuing to set the bits and pieces up for the backscene and the diorama that goes under the bridge, tonight I laid the track, which is just old Hornby set track salvaged from that display layout that I dismantled a while back, as nothing will actually run on it there are no wires or anything to worry about this was then given a general spray of Halfords matt brown to remove the plastic look

After a trawl through the Canmore database I have found a couple of distinctive buildings to sit at the back of the layout, both were part of the Beardmore complex at Partkead and should be fun to build

beardmores foundry.jpg

This building has a unique slatted wall which might be a challenge to build but not impossible, also managed to get the sign!

beardmore sign red (2).jpg
beardmore sign red (2).jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 643 times

The other is a simple but distinctive warehouse which will go along the back

warehouse.jpg

Going to need a lot of brick plasticard so I can wait for the show to get that, will carry on with as much other stuff before then

Cheers

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:The other is a simple but distinctive warehouse which will go along the back

warehouse.jpg

Going to need a lot of brick plasticard so I can wait for the show to get that, will carry on with as much other stuff before then

Now what part of "simple" do I not understand?!

Are you going to incorporate the sloping pavement?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:The other is a simple but distinctive warehouse which will go along the back

warehouse.jpg

Now what part of "simple" do I not understand?!

Are you going to incorporate the sloping pavement?

Hi Ex-Pat - it will be built on a nice level surface (thankfully) so that feature of the building will be "simplified" :)

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 am

Just been catching up on the inglenook build Jim and have to say it looks
impressive, I would be more than pleased with the resulting painting of the
walling section. I like the look of the background buildings you plan to incorporate
into it, they will definitely keep you busy for some time.

7mm is definitely easier on the eye in my opinion, more detail can be seen
and it's surprising, if you don't tell anyone it's 7mm, they'd never guess.

Looking forwrd to more.

Jim.

ps. The tracks below the bridge certainly bring it to life. Ballasting and weeds
are next I presume :wink:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 am

Correct Jim - Ballasting comes next, the two tracks (2nd and 3rd from left) will be ballasted to main line standard, the others in various degrees of neglect, just as I remember the area around Parkhead when I went into Glasgow in the Train when I was young. Beardmores was still a going concern and there was a limited amount of rail traffic in and out of the works. The little siding will go into a small loco shed, there was one visible from the main line and it always intrigued me, this little shed nest to these massive foundry buildings!
Pass that way today and you would never think that there had ever been industry in that area.

This is the present day shot to compare with the view of the foundry

canmore_image_SC00601666.jpg
canmore_image_SC00601666.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 605 times

parkeah today(1).JPG

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”