Gateside and Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi all

By 2018 standards it has been a while since I have posted on the layout thread, but I have been plodding on, just what I was doing hasn't been that interesting :D ! Continuing the "no brickpaper" rule for the Allenshaw Inglenook I have been building the bridge parapets in wood and plasticard. The plasticard being used was suggested by another modeller, it is Slaters 7mm scale Cotswold Stone which looks not unlike 4mm scale Ashlar, once painted it should look good.

As the Inglenook board is not a plain rectangle I have formed some timber to fill the notch that is necessary to fit the board around the roof beams.

Hopefully more updates soon

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

manna

Postby manna » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 pm

G'Day Gents

That's coming along nicely. I do find plastic brick! to be better than brickpaper.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 pm

That bridge looks ace.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Abutments look great, I am in the no paper brigade as well, next project is a multi arch stone bridge, I am currently messing about with embossing clay, but if it does not work out, I may resort back to linka and if that don't work, will end up with plastic! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks everyone, the only issue I am finding is making sure I get a good outside edge, the second photograph shows what I mean as there is a distinct seam running down from the top of the pillar. I am going to experiment with some stiff Polyfilla before painting to try and avoid obvious gaps.

Cheers all

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 am

Its really looking mint Jim. I think polyfilla should work for you. Might take a couple of wipes though!
Nice work as always mate

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm

I am told that wood filler is good instead of the likes of milliput!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 pm

TimberSurf wrote:I am told that wood filler is good instead of the likes of milliput!

Thanks Timbersurf, I will try that instead, think I have some somewhere :)

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Thanks everyone, the only issue I am finding is making sure I get a good outside edge, the second photograph shows what I mean as there is a distinct seam running down from the top of the pillar. I am going to experiment with some stiff Polyfilla before painting to try and avoid obvious gaps.

Cheers all

Jim

From memory I think that Geoff Taylor (in the Activity Media series) takes a needle file gently across the gaps and that tends to conceal them!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:Thanks everyone, the only issue I am finding is making sure I get a good outside edge, the second photograph shows what I mean as there is a distinct seam running down from the top of the pillar. I am going to experiment with some stiff Polyfilla before painting to try and avoid obvious gaps.

Cheers all

Jim

From memory I think that Geoff Taylor (in the Activity Media series) takes a needle file gently across the gaps and that tends to conceal them!

Sorry Jim - memory malfunctioning! Took a look at the DVD, and what he does is to gently scrape the joint with the scalpel blade and then finish it off with fine sandpaper.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am

Ex-Pat wrote:
Ex-Pat wrote:

Cheers all

Jim

Sorry Jim - memory malfunctioning! Took a look at the DVD, and what he does is to gently scrape the joint with the scalpel blade and then finish it off with fine sandpaper.

Yes Ex-Pat - thanks! One thing I quickly learned in this exercise is not to cut the plasticard too neatly before gluing in place, the first sheet stuck down needs to be about 1-2mm oversize then trimmed bang flush with the edge of the substrate when the glue is set, then similarly the second sheet at the angle needs to overhang very slightly so that a scrape and sandpaper brings it back to a neat 90deg join. The gap was the first sheet of plasticard applied before this lesson was learned so a bit of filler followed by some filing and sanding should do the job. :)

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm

The stonework supporting the bridge looks spot on Jim. Visually 3d using plastic.

A wipe with decorators caulk using fingers solves the gap problem for me and it's dry overnight.

Each to their own though.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 pm

railwayjim wrote:The stonework supporting the bridge looks spot on Jim. Visually 3d using plastic.

A wipe with decorators caulk using fingers solves the gap problem for me and it's dry overnight.

Each to their own though.

Jim.

Thanks Jim - Having seen your cracking buildings that sounds like another good alternative to try, I think I have a tube of caulk in the DIY box.

JIm

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Going forward fro the bridge build (getting ahead of myself a bit here as the bridge has a bit of work yet to do), the area under the bridge will be a (rather narrow) diorama depicting what used to be under the prototype at Parkhead Forge on which the Allenshaw bridge was based. This map shows that there were a number of tracks passed under the bridge, but in the period I remember it the two topmost tracks had been lifted, the next two were the main running lines (which still exist to this day) and the tracks below were still used but heavily overgrown, these were yard worked and served Parkhead forge.

map.JPG

bridge ariel.JPG

We will see how it turns out!

Jim

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

I'm excited. I really quite like the prototype there so Im looking foward to seeing how you approach it!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”