Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby manna » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 am

G'Day Gents

I have a feeling the the shunting plank is going to get more use than the main layout !! :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

Hi Manna - to your point, the shunting plank is a bit of an "insurance policy" against future possibilities that my mobility precludes me getting up into the loft, or having to move house due to health issues with either myself or Mrs LMB, that way I will always have a small layout to fall back on - two actually, as the St Margarets Depot extension was designed as a removable "plank" that could be adapted as a standalone (wonder if the two could go together NO STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!!!!! :D )

I bit the bullet last night and stripped out the plastic levers for the uncouplers, these are now all copper tube, the mechanisms were also cleaned out as the PVA mix and paint from ballasting had washed down inside the tubes and added friction, working fine now.

Away to Holland for the rest of the week so no more work until next week

Cheers everyone

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

manna

Postby manna » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 pm

G'Day Gents

Good thinking Jim, I'm lucky, my layout is at ground level (part of a large shed) All I have to do is get down a (wheelchair access ramp) walk across the garden, and up one step, the wheelchair ramp, I built a couple of years ago, in case my back goes permanently, a bit of foresight can help in the long run :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 pm

That's actually a good plan. A friend of mine had retired. I used to work with him on the railway. He was building a nice layout in his attic. However in the past few years he was was less able to get to his attic and instead had to do armchair modelling. He enjoyed it but maybe a compact portable layout would be better for him as it would keep him happily modelling...
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Back from what turned out to be an interesting trip to Holland. Once the work was done I headed back to Ede-Wageningen station for the train back to Amsterdam, highlight of that trip was this beauty which was being hauled towards the west

Anyway back to Allenshaw tonight and I finished off painting the track, a tedious but worthwhile task, I then gave the ballast a general coat of Railmatch Brown Paint

Some stock on the layout, this will be the "start point" for any puzzle, with the trip freight having arrived behind a Clayton which has uncoupled and moved into the loco siding and the shunter then drawing the train forward into the headshunt

There is a bit of a puzzle within a puzzle, in that the brake van is not part of the main Inglenook shunting puzzle, but still has to be at the back of the outgoing train, it is easily done once you work it out - any guesses??

Hopefully will get started with buildings on Friday!

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I love the point levers. I assume they are point levers.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Mountain wrote:I love the point levers. I assume they are point levers.

Nope - you have not been paying attention :D They are the lever mechanisms for the uncouplers that have been giving me all the grief, the all brass ones are the replacements for the plastic ones that snapped! The points are operated by the bicycle spokes that are tipped with the little lettered cubes.

Jim

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Ah yes! :D it makes sense now. I love home made mechanical things.

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 am

Great work ! Congrats. That's what I call a real Shunting Layout.
Remember: model railroading can become contagious. So be careful...

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Evening Jim,

I am trying to solve how the brake van is attached to the departing train.

But first could you explain how it was moved off the incoming train picture 2 and into the siding in picture 3 :?

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:47 pm

railwayjim wrote:Evening Jim,

I am trying to solve how the brake van is attached to the departing train.

But first could you explain how it was moved off the incoming train picture 2 and into the siding in picture 3 :?

Jim.

Hi Jim - Without the bridge in place there was an element of "big hand from the sky" (for illustrative purposes only) :D But with the bridge in place it works like this, there are two possible solutions
The train loco detaches and runs forward into the loco siding, The shunter then draws the train forward and either:
1) The brake van is left at the nearest uncoupling ramp, then the train loco moves out and drags the van in past the points, then once the shunter has deposited the five wagons in the first siding it comes back and moves the van into the van road OR
2) (Simpler solution) The shunter drags the full train into the headshunt and the train loco follows it in, picks up the van then moves it to the van road!!

Must do a video someday!

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Think I've got it Jim, but yes, a video would be perfect.

Let me know when and I will get my tea and biscuits ready for the viewing :D

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi All - with all the track painted and ballasted, time to start the buildings. First up is the Walthers crane gantry kit which turned out to be quite tricky, there are a lot of parts that you need to ensure are kept square and level, and it only takes the smallest sliver of flash to knock things out of true. I built up the main gantry and legs and the main parts of the crane, as you need this to gauge how far apart the rails need to be.

Also marked out the end of the building to check proportions

With all looking good, I removed the crane to safe storage to let the glue fully set before painting and gluing in place so that I could make a start on the loading bank, this is just built up from strips of wood and a sheet of ply, it has a couple of slots cut to tack the crane legs, these slots will be closed up when I put on the top sheet of card

The buffer stop is a modified Peco, as per the prototype in the photo I posted on Montfords thread, need to find another one, there is one somewhere in my scrap box I'm sure

That's all for now, looking out my "kiss me quick" hat as I am off to Sunny Blackpool next Friday!!!

Jim

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 am

Breathtaking in scope.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

Chops wrote:Breathtaking in scope.

Cheers Chops - glad you like it! :D

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”