Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 am

Just love the mesh fence - Hawick viaduct platforms had plenty so I'll be bearing your techniques very much in mind.

What did you use for the top rail?
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi Ex Pat, the top rail is made from K&S round brass rod 0.032" X 12", ref number #8160. I use that wire a lot on the layout.

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:Plan for the Inglenook now finalized, the top two sidings under the travelling crane will be the 3 wagon sidings, the next one down will be the five wagon siding, thus creating the traditional Inglenook, I have added the crossover to add some operating interest should this ever become a standalone, the bottom siding could potentially become a run down truncated single track DMU terminus, or simply a lye by for the trip freight loco which could bring a fresh set of wagons form an off scene area.

Allenshaw Inglenook plan.jpg

Jim

Back from the holiday and first snag with this plan uncovered :oops: . The travelling crane will occupy a space of 12" by 9", which spans 3 tracks and needs a bit either side for the buttress steelwork, not as big a problem as I first imagined however, I have space to relocate the crossover and re-jig the layout. I have also found an old Peco Set-Track point that I am going to use, as this is a yard I think I can get away with this, I also have a right hand point where a left hand is needed, but this can be incorporated, it just means that things will look a bit less "straight line" which I suppose is more in keeping with what would be expected in the prototype.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Didn't have the phone to hand last night to capture the issues I was having, these photos below will show how I had to re-jig the configuration to fit round the travelling crane. First thing I overlooked is that the buttress steelwork forces the track centres apart by more than the 3" that I had allowed, also that the span of the crane is enough for three tracks to go under (just)

The outline of the crane supports is drawn in green, with the track centres in black, as you can just make out the original position of the crossover was directly under the buttress steelwork.

This will be how eventually the bridge will interact with the inglenook board, each will be removable from the main layout, the idea being that once I have these two sections complete I am planning to build a frame that would support these two sections with a bit on the end as a sector plate/fiddle yard so that the Inglenook would work as a standalone layout. Really hoping that the temperature drops a little as it is just too warm to work in the loft comfortably, and as the next task involves a lot of sawing I am reluctant to knacker myself :)

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:39 am

With thanks for posting pictures of your layout, always a joy to see. Pity you don't have the layout in a large shed, would be a bit cooler for you. No plans to move it suppose ? :0)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:06 am

Buggleskelly wrote:With thanks for posting pictures of your layout, always a joy to see. Pity you don't have the layout in a large shed, would be a bit cooler for you. No plans to move it suppose ? :0)

Hi Buggleskelly - I actually have plans to get a new wooden shed built sometime this year, the current metal one we have is too small for anything other than garden tool storage, Gateside and Northbridge however will be staying in the loft it is just too big to be moved, but there is the possibility that this spinoff might get moved to the new shed eventually.

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Tried the bridge in place tonight just to see how it will look, I had feared that it might look wrong, but I was encouraged by the general arrangement, so onwards and very much upwards!

Jim

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Looks very Grand in situ :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Is it me or does that sit a little bit too high?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm

BuffyMcBuffer wrote:Is it me or does that sit a little bit too high?

Hi - The height of the bridge is set by the clearance over the track at the left of the second photograph (The Mavisbank to Gateside line). This has risen to 3" above the Northbridge line at this stage, so this branch needs to be a further 3" higher to clear that line (the bridge structure is not defined yet). There will be a small gap between the flat section of the scenery at the right but I will dress this up to look like it should be like that. The set bridge kit length determined the position of the support pillars and parapets I would have liked it to be a single span from wall to wall and had asked the manufacturer if he did custom lengths, but that was not possible, so I have had to make do with what was on offer. Bear with me - it will look a lot better once the supports are built, what you see is totally temporary :D

Jim

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
BuffyMcBuffer wrote:Is it me or does that sit a little bit too high?

Hi - The height of the bridge is set by the clearance over the track at the left of the second photograph (The Mavisbank to Gateside line). This has risen to 3" above the Northbridge line at this stage, so this branch needs to be a further 3" higher to clear that line (the bridge structure is not defined yet). There will be a small gap between the flat section of the scenery at the right but I will dress this up to look like it should be like that. The set bridge kit length determined the position of the support pillars and parapets I would have liked it to be a single span from wall to wall and had asked the manufacturer if he did custom lengths, but that was not possible, so I have had to make do with what was on offer. Bear with me - it will look a lot better once the supports are built, what you see is totally temporary :D

Jim

That’s fine I was just wondering if it was or not :D

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Its been a slow week, constructing the "back" section of the bridge support involved building a structure that would become both the girder bridge support, an arch bridge, and the support for a plate girder bridge over the Gateside line. This was not an easy task as the tracks that were adjacent to the bridge piers were not laid with a bridge in mind and the three tracks, two goods lines and the siding into the engineering company run at slightly different angles. Various small sheets of ply were cut to size and glued and pinned/screwed together until I had the initial frame

This looks very rough, but once I stuck the first card overlay with the arch in place it looked much better

Image[/url]

The views from the other side highlight the very tight clearances, particularly between the bridge pier and the engineering company siding, but I checked it with a wagon and an 08 shunter and they pass OK, this siding is rarely used (it is more of a scenic feature so no big worries here.

Much more work to be done but I am pleased with the progress so far.

Jim

mttshw

Postby mttshw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 am

I'm a bit of a lurker here. I don't have a layout of my own but I love seeing the layouts on this forum progress - this one is a particular highlight. Great work! Love detail you've gone into with the bridge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks mttshw - Glad to hear that you like the layout! :)

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”