Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby manna » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

G'Day Gents

yeah, me to.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Guys

Placed the new sheet of timber in place tonight to get some idea of how things will go together. Looks to be just enough room for the configuration I am looking for, No room for a traditional turntable, might try for something a bit unconventional as a result. I have downloaded the Scalescenes Shed to use more as the scenic break rather than a full shed,

For those not familiar with the Edinburgh area, the choice of the name "the St Margarets Project" reflects that Edinburgh Waverley was served by two major depots, to the West was Haymarket (64B), an early conversion to a Diesel Depot, and to the East St Margarets, (64A) which was predominantly a steam shed to the end.

Will keep everyone informed of progress

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 pm

It certainly looks good so far.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:28 pm

I have been asked before about a track plan for the layout, here is a more accurate schematic than I used before.

Layout Schematic.jpg

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:19 am

Interesting track plan Jim, crammed plenty into the space you have.

This previous quote caught my eye;
"No room for a traditional turntable, might try for something a bit unconventional as a result."
Now what could this be? Looking forward to finding out!

Jim.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:23 am

A turning wye maybe?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 am

"Hand of god?"
Peco loco lift?
A 45° see saw turntable?
Cutting bufferbeams off locos?
Waiting patiently to find out.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:46 pm

All will be revealed in the fullness of time :D

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Now that the festivities are over, we can get back to the important business of model railways!

I spent this evening finishing off the carpentry for the St Margaret's Shed development, I trimmed the 12mm ply to a better shape. tapering it off towards the Mavisbank control panel and assembling the support frame. On top of the 12mm ply I have then cut a sheet of 5mm ply and extended this below the tenement to provide a single surface onto which lay the track. A Scalescenes shed has been purchased and printed off to provide the scenic break.

With the woodwork complete, I have placed the track in the approximate position to get a flavour of hoe things will go together.

Next session will see the track prepared for laying, point control will be manual, going to try the bicycle spoke method for a change to keep costs down. The black rectangle might give a clue as to the "alternative turntable"

Onwards and upwards

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Next session will see the track prepared for laying, point control will be manual, going to try the bicycle spoke method for a change to keep costs down. The black rectangle might give a clue as to the "alternative turntable"

Jim

Sorry, I'd noticed the cycle spokes, but I'm obviously missing something here Jim - what black rectangle, in which photo?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 pm

In the last one, on the rightmost track. Basically what I intend to do is to carefully cut a rectangle in the top 5mm layer of ply and disguise the track as a weighbridge or something like that, then install a pivot under the ply. The pivot will be pushed up to raise the strip of wood above the level of the rest and so be able to turn the loco and drop back into the slot, not at all prototypical but is will do the job.

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Jim - all now clear!

I'd somehow got it into my head that I was looking for a solid rectangular object!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 pm

As scheduled, it was track preparation work tonight. There is a modification that I like to make to all my Peco points, I don't like to rely on the wipers for electrical contact so I solder bridge wires on my inxulfrog points (this method will not work with Electrofrog

I have never been able to work out why Peco points have a groove on the underside of the fifth sleeper from the end on the straight side, however I gouge a similar groove on the underside of the equivalent sleeper on the other side.

I solder lengths of wire to the existing frog bridging wires and run the wire to beyond the end of the sleeper as shown, you need to be careful to keep the solder to a minimum to ensure that there is no blob of solder to stop the point sitting on the baseboard

The wire is then soldered to the outside of the rail and when given a touch of brown paint are practically invisible.

Of course this destroys the points ability to isolate the track automatically, but an insulated rail joiner and a switched section overcomes this. Did all the points tonight so tracklaying will commence on Friday evening.

Jim

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 pm

I've never seen this approach before. Would this work on a DCC layout with Peco setrack points?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 am

This is a much better method than relying on the blade
making contact, pity mine are already layed, but I have taken
note and will use this method in future, thanks for sharing Jim.

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”