Gateside and Northbridge "Marty - We are going Back to the Future!"

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
shunter68

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby shunter68 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Really nice detailing Jim and a super job on the inspection platform looks just how it should. :)

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sun May 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Excellent idea for the trees Jim. Really effective.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 23, 2017 12:25 pm

manna wrote:G'day Gents

Hey, like the little saddletank, but going bank to your Christmas post, about the cable run, I have the same problem on Edgware, LT tracks and cable runs, I have heard that you can use thin solder, as in the rolls of solder, it comes with a dia. of .56, which is just over 1.5"s, about right for a cable. hope this helps.

manna

Hi Manna - I tried the thin solder and it didn't work out for me, but I found hanks of embroidery thread in a pound shop which looked about the right diameter, I soaked cut lengths in PVA and allowed them to dry, they worked well and are fitted. No photographs just now as the better half has returned from her girly weekend away so I will not gt back up the loft until Thursday.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Sneaked up tonight and got a couple of photographs of the completed cable run..

Another wee task completed!!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Fri May 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Looking very effective Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 pm

More tidying up tonight, filling and packing the odd rough patches and gaps. Amazing how many flaws that photographs show up that somehow you don't see with the naked eye. One small embellishment was the addition of some of the cracking speed restriction signs from Eckon, I bought these from Ebay.

Sorry about the poor photo, just a quick shot with the camera phone

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 am

Nothing really new to report but last night I managed to complete the electrical repairs to the Northbridge Gantry that has been out of operation on the workbench for nearly a year :oops: . Come cosmetic repairs to the handrails to be done before re-installation to the layout. That was one major job that had been really bugging me and had been held up due to the problems with my eye, but last night proved that I have regained enough to do some fairly intricate soldering again. Huge thanks to Dr Hammer at Gartnavel, the skill of these doctors is amazing!

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 am

The lack of posting might suggest to some that activity on Gateside and Northbridge has been non-existant, actually this has not been the case, although I must admit to casting envious eyes over other threads as real progress has been made on layouts while I have been bogged down on wiring issues. I needed to redo the wires to the Mavisbank signals as issues had crept in to the relay activations. Not fully resolved but good enough to put on the back burner for now. I created an Excel spreadsheet to use as a progress tracker on the jobs underway and future aspirations. This is a screenshot of that list.

to do list.JPG

The "biggies" at the bottom of the list are the most interesting, I decided against the "mighty morphing inglenook" and go for two separate projects. The Inglenook Yard is now planned to sit above the fiddle yard on a removable board, this would include a partially disused line crossing Northbridge Station Throat on a bridge similar to that used by RailwayJIm on Millsend, there is a prototype in Glasgow the I want to base this on (see photograph below). As it will not be connected to the rest of the layout I would like to do this part in the new Peco code 75 bullhead rail

canmore_image_SC00768543 (1).jpg

The depot needs to go ahead as Northbridge badly needs extra loco storage, just not enough siding space just now. Edinburgh had two depots, Haymarket to the West and St Margarets to the East, in the last days of steam St, Margarets was the steam shed with the diesels concentrated at Haymarket, this new project will reflect that.

Just need the time to get the stuff done!!

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 am

If only Excel 2010 had more than 17,179,869,184 cells in a worksheet then I could start my "to-do" list!

I reckon your item 12 would add most character more quickly than the others.

Item 11 is very interesting - had a good think about it, used Search and confirmed it is a dove-cote!

Just to save me searching Canmore, where is that bridge exactly?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am

Ex-Pat wrote:If only Excel 2010 had more than 17,179,869,184 cells in a worksheet then I could start my "to-do" list!

I reckon your item 12 would add most character more quickly than the others.

Item 11 is very interesting - had a good think about it, used Search and confirmed it is a dove-cote!

Just to save me searching Canmore, where is that bridge exactly?

Hi Ex-Pat - The bridge used to carry the Caledonian Freight Only Line round the east side of Glasgow over the Electrified line from Queen Street Low Level to Airdrie at Parkhead, in the background is Parkhead Forge. Absolutely nothing remains of the bridge today.

Ref 11 - in Glasgow is is definitely a "Doo-Cot" (the posh name is a Pigeon Loft) Image :D

Inspiration here

Image on the excellent "Kilbowie" layout

and in real life -

Jim

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Love the spreadsheet, man after my own heart, I think MS Excel has enough lines, I just can't be bothered filling in several thousand outstanding tasks! Plus would spend more time tweaking excel than doing the layout!
Not sure why I am needed for the last two items? Are you subbing out the contract to me? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 pm

:lol: Just Timber, no surf!!! :lol:

When you get to my age the spreadsheet is handy, the memory is not as good as it was

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 pm

The St Margaret's project will be moved up the list - I was at the Cathcart Exhibition a the weekend and an after an idle rummage bought four 2nd hand Peco points in good condition for the princely sum of £20. Need three lengths of Streamline, Uddingston Model shop still have stock so will try and sneak a visit. House is in complete uproar as the Kitchen is getting gutted - to be followed by the bathroom so the loft is full of odds and ends in temporary storage.

JIm

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:57 pm

And at last we are off and running with the St Margarets project tonight. Just preparation work so far, stripping of the edging and digging a hole in the facia under the tenement, timber is cut and ready to go into place once the glue on the support battens is set. There will be three roads in the shed extending under the scenery with the pointwork on the new wood.

Not a lot to see tonight but hopefully make quick progress now that I have started

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Keep us updated with plenty of pictures Jim, this
looks very interesting. I like additions/alterations to
existing layouts!

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”