Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Thanks Jim, unfortunately when testing the circuit after putting in a third LED in the Water Tank Road I forgot the resistor and blew all three LEDs :oops: So I will need to re-install, no biggy as they were not embedded in the building.
Will be limited in what I can do over the next couple of weeks as this week I am on my ISO13485 lead auditor refresher course - complete with home assignments! Then a week on Friday I am in for my cataract operation which will keep me out of the loft for another week.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Fingers crossed for the cataract removal, with model railways, eyes are so important.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

When I said 'I can almost smell it,' it must have been the lights blowing :lol:

I'm sure they'll be fixed in a 'flash', sorry Jim couldn't resist that :wink:

I echo manna's sentiments regarding your op. Best of Luck.

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Thanks guys, definitely not looking forward to it as it is done under a local so you are aware of what is going on, however once it is done I should have improved vision so the small modelling tasks will be easier.

Cheers Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
luckymucklebackit

Well that is the eye operation over with :D It takes a few weeks for the eye to heal fully so I don't know how good it will be once the healing procedure is complete, it is still a bit fuzzy but already better than before. The operation is more terrifying on the lead up than the actual procedure itself, you really cannot work out what is going on and there is very little discomfort (thankfully). It will be a while before I get back in the loft as there is the usual restrictions on bending, lifting etc. Need to find something I can do from the comfort of the sofa.

Jim
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Glad to hear it went seamlessly, hope you mend soon and get back to the loft (after suitable rest period) :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, getting back to normal now, thanks to all who passed on their best wishes. So back in the loft where spring cleaning and patching have been the order of the day. There were a couple of areas where I made minor improvements as I didn't feel it was looking great.

One the Northbridge Road Bridge, I had used the old Airfix/Dapol platform lamps but these are not really appropriate so I went on line and bought some decent ones that don't look a million miles from those that used to be seen in Edinburgh

The real ones are a bit more ornate, but short of getting a fret these will have to do. The wires are not connected yet, that is a job for the future.

Up at the Top end of the layout, a chance photo showed the tunnel into Gateside was a disgrace (out of sight behind the roof beam = out of mind)

This has now been rectified with an overlay fabricated to look a bit more presentable

On the motive power front, I have a Lima Metro Cammel DMU which superficially looks great but runs like a dog, so this has been made a Dummy two car set which will run either as a three car set with the parcels unit providing traction as shown here, or will pair up with the Bachman Cravens unit both of which are excellent runners

Thants all for tonight

Cheers

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

It's good to have you back modelling and posting Jim, I bet
you've been itching to get cracking once again :wink:

The Heljan Parcels Unit is more than capable of pulling
your dummy 2 car set and is prototypical as well, looks good.

It's nice to get the 'around to it' jobs done, I have a few I need
to do when I get chance.

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Thanks Jim - Yes it was great to get back into the loft, I was back up tonight - no photographs, just a good running session and I am pleased to report that everything was running really well. Next stage is to get all the stock positioned and start running the timetable again, I have been revising it substantially and it should really pose a challenge to get it to run to the schedule, as it poses capacity challenges, especially around Northbridge. The last version didn't include any Waverley Route services, this one does! :D

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

At least Jim, if it doesn't run to schedule, you will
be following the prototype :lol:

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

railwayjim wrote:At least Jim, if it doesn't run to schedule, you will
be following the prototype :lol:

Jim.
Thank God I am modelling the 1960s and not the present day scene, I couldn't afford to pay myself all those fines :lol:

Looking forward to next weekend, it is the monthly car boot sale that I am dragged to at Troon Town Hall, but this month there is a Model Railway Exhibition in the hall next door - I have posted the details in the exhibitions thread if anyone is interested.

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

luckymucklebackit wrote:. The last version didn't include any Waverley Route services, this one does! :D

Jim
Tell me more!
luckymucklebackit

Ex-Pat wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:. The last version didn't include any Waverley Route services, this one does! :D

Jim
Tell me more!
Hi Ex-Pat - nothing to get excited about, I have slotted these into the timetable using a spare set of coaches that became available, nothing too prototypical. Times are arrival/departure from Northbridge and they run in practise to Fiddle South.

08:20 Carlisle - N/Bridge (D5309)
09:10 N/Bridge - Carlisle (D5309)
10:05 N/Bridge - St Pancras (D193)
11:35 Carlisle - N/Bridge (60534)
12:35 N/Bridge - Carlisle (60534)
14:20 Carlisle - N/Bridge (60534)
17:35 N/Bridge - Carlisle (60534)
18:34 St Pancras - N/Bridge (D193)

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Jim - sorry, but Hawick box (whenever I get round to building it) won't be accepting diesels in 1953-57!

You'll have to press the A3 into service - from memory might need a totem change though.

That's pretty impressive running for "Irish Elegance" - better than "Mallard" I'd say.
luckymucklebackit

Ah! but get the Tardis out this is 1965, agree about the rostering of Irish Elegance doing two runs, but that is just the way that it works out unless I get another loco (not out of the question, I do have an A3 which could swap onto the Waverley jobs, might mix it up once I review the timetable.

Jim