Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Just a quick shot of the point now bedded in..

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Well blended in Jim. Looks like it has always been there.

I notice an A1 has made it into the shed, plus a stable mate (unidentified)?

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

railwayjim wrote:Well blended in Jim. Looks like it has always been there.

I notice an A1 has made it into the shed, plus a stable mate (unidentified)?

Jim.
It's the old Hornby tender drive D49 63700 "Yorkshire", that has been pottering about as a clearance checker - Cheers Jim :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
luckymucklebackit

Hi all - Starting to put the detail onto the depot and its approaches, added some depot workers chatting beside the office building and the hut is now complete, yard lamps added. Still to add chimneys and some other detail that is still in the paintshop.

I have had these figures for a while, they were originally to make up the same scene at Gateside, but as the front of the depot building faces away from the viewer they could not really be seen so were a bit of a waste, here they are in full view.

Still quite a bit to do.

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Looks good Jim - are you going to weather the building?

Do you recall the source of your figures, and were they ready-painted?
luckymucklebackit

Hi Ex-Pat - actually the building has already had a weathering wash, it is quite a light brick, but you are right id does still look a bit pristine. The figures I was sure were Dart Casting, but having been on their website just now I can't see them, they were unpainted white metal figures. I cannot claim originality with these as I saw them on Pen-Y Byrn and liked it enough to copy.

Cheers

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

All looking really good now Jim, especially like the group of workers outside the boffy.

I notice the signal gantry (and not before time :wink: ) has had a new base made.

Jim.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

The group of workers really set the scene off. Top work all round.

Paul
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I like the sink drains, nice touch and concur in its lineside position looks way to clean!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
luckymucklebackit

OK guys - I bow to the consensus, more weathering will be applied :D

I found this photograph while looking through a lot of old stuff tonight (excuse what is on the monitor :oops: . This shows how things have developed in this bit of the layout. It was originally one singe track all the way from Northbridge to the Fiddle Yard, it has changed a bit!
Picture 006.jpg
December 2006
layout 177.jpg
January 2013
April 2018
Thanks again for your support, always appreciated.

Jim
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

You really have expanded that area, it looks the business now Jim,
nice and grubby, how a shed should be :wink:

Jim.
luckymucklebackit

Cheers Jim - Well I bowed to opinion and gave the small building a dirty wash, not the greatest of jobs but it is OK for now, made up the chimney pots to complete. Finished painting the oil drums and placed them around the depot area and positioned the point levers - (Sorry about the rotten photo). Last job of the night was to position the exit signal with its telephone box so that drivers can phone the Bobby when they are ready to leave the depot. You will note that this is a ground disc signal instead of a two position ground signal, this is because Northbridge East is deemed to have been a 1950s signalling installation, the main signals have the longer hoods and the ground signals are electrically worked discs, this can be seen on the early installations on the WCML and the Glasgow area electrification where existing signal boxes were converted to work these signals, Mavisbank represents a later c1963 installation so I have the new style signalbox, shorter hood main signals and two position ground signals. Should get the last jobs done over the next weekend to finish this project. After that I am turning my focus onto some tidy up jobs around the rest of the layout, as I did a camera survey using my Nikon Camera and I was shocked about the number of really "rough" bits of the layout which TBH can be sorted without a lot of work.

Tonight's Photos

Cheers

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Hi all - looking for a bit of advice on the water column. The one I am using for the depot is the Peco offering (cheap and cheerful), but I have lost the plastic tube that is the "bag", I don't think that this is a great loss as it is too rigid to look like the leather trunking that is used on the prototype. Has anyone tried to replicate a leather bag and what materials have you used. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Jim - I've emailed you an article suggesting paper!
luckymucklebackit

Thanks Mike - Received and replied!

Jim