Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside & Northbridge

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Finished off wiring up and connected the new Morley Vector controller. Gave me an excuse to try out the two Xmas presents that had never been out the box. Must say I was very impressed by the slow speed control of this unit, these two crawled nicely before posing on the turntable.
FB_IMG_1656008463987.jpg
FB_IMG_1656008472839.jpg
Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, tonight I placed the Buildings temporarily in place to check clearances. The rear of the shed will be hidden behind the backscene for reasons best revealed when the full layout develops. All of the buildings have been salvaged from the old Gateside Depot.
FB_IMG_1656445158362.jpg
FB_IMG_1656445168349.jpg
Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Surprizing what can be done in a small space. You have put a lot of thought into that idea! It looks good.
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, As you know my wife is a great one for car boot sales and antique fairs/shops, normally I am not interested but occasionally a gem emerges. I had been looking at motorising the turntable but the Peco kit and the alternative options on Ebay were pricy, even the manual one on Ebay was £25. So when I spotted this Mecanno set for the princely sum of £3, I could not pass it up.
FB_IMG_1657035155860.jpg
I have subsequently assembled this contraption under the board which works not too bad!
FB_IMG_1657035168262.jpg
Also at Garrion Bridge Antiques centre I picked up a nice Hornby Dublo Crane for £25
FB_IMG_1657035175549.jpg
Cheers all

Jim
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Glad that Meccano works for you Jim, I could never get anything to work as a kid!
luckymucklebackit

Ex-Pat wrote:Glad that Meccano works for you Jim, I could never get anything to work as a kid!
Hi Ex Pat, was never good a Mecanno as a kid myself, I had a No4 set but rarely built anything, I was more of a Lego man myself.

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, Progress has been interrupted by holidays and sadly a family bereavement. However, I finally got the access road tackled, had to scrap the first attempt due to clearance issues. Not quite finished but the most difficult bits done.
FB_IMG_1660659506691.jpg
Jim
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have one of those cranes and they are nice.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello
Its nice to see the products of Binns Road making appearances on other layouts.
This is definitely one of the most useful ways of using Meccano some may say that was what Frank Hornby invented it for.
A note I have found that if you run the Crane around your layout as is watch out for the clearances due to the somewhat over scale Crank Handles. The screw Jacks appear from time to time so it should be possible to find the other two, although they can be rather pricey.
luckymucklebackit

Thanks Dublo, there is a guy on Ebay does 3D printed replica Jack's that are indistinguishable from the originals except for weight, I bought 2 so the crane is back to complete.

Jim
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Altogether coming on nicely. The loco depot is going to be a good 'space constrained' example, as so many were in the latter days of steam. and how fine it is with a CR 0-6-0 on the table. The Clan's impressive, but the 0-6-0 just shouts of the location.

Nostalgic for me, the mention of the Morley Vector controller. Always been a class act, and would be my first choice based on past experience if wanting to operate on DC.
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, getting back into the swing of scenic detailing. I think once you master ballasting you never forget, doesn't get any easier though.
Couple of update photos.
FB_IMG_1661539070119.jpg
FB_IMG_1661539080868.jpg
FB_IMG_1661539092479.jpg
Jim
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looks wonderful, bet it feels good to get back into modelling.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
luckymucklebackit

Thanks Manna, certainly does feel good to get constructive again.

So I was at the Ayr Antiques and Collectors Fair this morning and picked up these two beauties for £30, I am told that they did appear on Bristol to Glasgow workings in the 1950s/60s so rule 1 not really required!
FB_IMG_1661623730432.jpg
Jim
luckymucklebackit

Hi All, So that is Gateside Depot about 90% complete, just some odd jobs to do, most notably awaiting delivery of brick paper for the turntable surround. Turned out quite different from what I originally envisaged, which was more or less a locomotive fiddle yard and turning facility as there wasn't going to be enough room at the station. The station will have a modern two road diesel F&M.
FB_IMG_1661938545780.jpg
FB_IMG_1661938532771.jpg
FB_IMG_1661938519401.jpg
FB_IMG_1661938510719.jpg
FB_IMG_1661938502809.jpg
Cheers

Jim