Gateside and Northbridge - Maybe Sometime!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge - It begins at last!

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks for your supportive comments guys - I am sure this is just a hurdle that once crossed I will take a leap forward. I am much more organised than I was when I started the last project (except for frequently not being able to find things), and as have learned a lot of lessons I am hoping this will be a good 'un.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am

luckymucklebackit wrote: I am hoping this will be a good 'un.

Jim

Hi Jim. Your last layout was exceptional modelling, but you knew its limitations when running trains etc.

I have confidence in you building the new layout that you will be really proud of.

Looking forward to further instalments.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:57 am

Greetings All!

So I have moved slowly forward with the eastern throat of Northbridge, all points are now in position with the slots cut out to locate the motors. If I was to start completely from scratch I would use the underboard PL-9 Turnout Motor Mounting Plates and extended pins, but this is the way that it was done on all the old layouts and as the point motors were still attached to the points I will continue with this method for now. I cut a thin sheet of plasticard to mask off the edges of the hole. Nothing is pinned down yet, next stage is to get all the wiring in place and test. Once that is done there should be a lot more track laid as everything round about this ladder is plain line, so hopefully by Xmas I will have something presentable running, but then again given the inertia of this year I won't hold my breath!!

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:08 am

Glad to see the start Jim - your throat is more complicated than my starting throat, but it must be a great feeling to really get going again - roll on progress!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Plan update.

The slow progress in getting things done has not been entirely wasteful as I have been continually poring over the track diagram and making some tweaks and firming up other part of the layout.

trackplan.jpg

The main changes have been away from the area under construction, and are as follows

Northbridge West End - nothing major, I reversed a couple of crossovers to improve flexibility, still not 100% convinced if I need the centre loco spur.

Steam Loco Depot: Changed the track layout so that the old St, Margarets module salvaged from the last layout can be dropped in without much alteration. Took a fancy to the Superquick Coaling Tower so that has been purchased and added to the pile of things to be completed. Double track now from the tunnel to the fiddle yard giving more realism

Shunting Yard/Station: This one is developing nicely, as previously posted it will be based on Partick Central, with some features of other semi derelict stations on the old Glasgow Central line. The station will have a skeleton suburban steam service with shunting of freight into an engineering works (or wagon repair facility), oil siding, granary and coal yard. The engineering works will be the building salvaged form the last layout and I have obtained the Scalescenes grain silo from last months Hornby Magazine. Quite fancy also incorporating some of the buildings from the Scalescenes Boxfile set

Gateside: Main change has been that the turntable has been moved to the back corner allowing for Dobbies Loan Overbridge to be incorporated, this also provides a better scenic break from the continuous run that comes over from Northbridge via the lifting section. I am sure it will be a good few years before I reach this bit so lets see how it goes.

Jim

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:12 pm

so hopefully by Xmas

Which Christmas :lol: :lol: :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Stainsacre wrote:
so hopefully by Xmas

I would like to think that it will be this Xmas, you might just have laid down the gauntlet to me :D

Jim

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:02 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Stainsacre wrote:
so hopefully by Xmas

I would like to think that it will be this Xmas, you might just have laid down the gauntlet to me :D

Jim

Toasting forks at 40 paces. :lol:

Sounds as though services will be better than before. Looking forward to it all coming together, Jim. Well done.

Glencairn

manna

Postby manna » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:08 pm

G'Day Gents

Got all the Hallmarks of being a 'Classic', Looking forward to 'Every' update. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:28 am

Thanks all - there have been a recent series of videos on you Tube that has really got my creative juices flowing around the old Glasgow Central Low Level Line and its associated routes. Here is the link to the series of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyP8Ze5Sgr6_F3nEBADWfvg

There is also this one when the line was in its last years of use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMxIHzAVMBo&feature=emb_logo.

One of my favourite layouts at Model Rail Scotland in recent years was Kilbowie, that layout also captures the essence of the line. Here is another series of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFDpk2lvcCRJ5zNE1cq40PA

Jim

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Looking good Jim, plenty of plate laying to keep you out of mischief there.
Good luck with the completion schedule!!
Tim
aka Forfarian

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 am

Morning everyone - so everything is at a stop once again! As was not entirely unexpected Mrs Luckymucklebackit has had a bout of homesickness for the village that she was brought up in and from where we moved 18 months ago, she wants to be nearer to her Mother and Uncle who she feels will need looking after in the coming years. Move is not going to happen for at least a year but I don't want to get stuck in to a major project knowing that I would need to rip it up well before it was finished. Think I may turn my attention once again to Allenshaw and finish off the bits that I didn't get round to doing. I also have a number of kits to complete so there is options to pass the time there.

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 am

What can we say Jim? - As a firm believer in "que sera, sera", it'll all get sorted in the end, so all the best on that front.

Do please keep us updated on alternative projects.

glencairn

Re: Gateside and Northbridge - Maybe Sometime!

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am

Not much one can say, Jim. A case of 'It is meant to be.'

Many years ago we were in a similar position (sort of). Thankfully it has turned out 'for the better'.

As Ex-Pat says, "Do keep us updated on alternative projects."

Glencairn

luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge - Maybe Sometime!

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks Guys!

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”