Gateside and Northbridge - It begins at last!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

So, after initially granting permission for a hut to be purchased and put in the garden, said permission has now been withdrawn on the basis that "it is too big", "we will lose the use of the patio" (that we never used anyway) or "it will make an already small garded too small". (I blame the neighbour who put her bloody tuppence worth in)
Not to be outdone I purchased wood at the weekend and have constructed a bit of a Heath Robinson ladder affair that bridges the gap beween the top of the stepladders that we have and the loft hatch. It was duly tried out last night and the Xmas tree and decorations were brought down for the season. This also provided a chance to move some of the other stuff around and make some working space.

I will not be denied - we are going back to the loft - it is cramped, it is low, but it is space (25 ft long space at that). need to get back up with the tape measure.....

Don't hold you breath but something might happen soon!

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:23 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:.

I will not be denied - we are going back to the loft - it is cramped, it is low, but it is space (25 ft long space at that). need to get back up with the tape measure.....

jim

--- Low -- Take care Jim. It is very hard on the knees. Been there etc. :oops:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm

My loft is low, 2" too low to stand at its highest point. Got to be a true pain in the neck. :cry:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

brammie

Postby brammie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:44 am

Can understand your frustration Bufferstop - been there on that one. I was smitten by the large loft over our bungalow in UK and couldn't stop myself from embarking on an exercise of long straights and sweeping curves. As one season followed another I found it unbearably hot in mid summer and uncomfortably cold in winter, but the crippler was the effect on track and locos of the frequent temperature extremes. Although I eventually insulated the loft, it was one frustration after another. However, it is easy to understand your need, and I wish you all the best with your new layout.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge "Marty - We are going Back to the Future!"

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:50 am

Ok I appreciate the re-launch has had more than it's share of false starts but at last I think I have a workable plan. The reason for the title is that back in the distant past the original Gateside and North bridge was built in a 12' by 8' loft in my first house. The general concept of that layout was two concentric circles with Mavisbank on one and Northbrdge on the other, with Minories style Gateside as a branch off the inner circle. A small fiddle yard was also on the inner circle as shown.

schematic.jpg

It was a very basic layout with minimum scenics (I have some photos somewhere that I could post), but it was tremendous fun to operate, so yes we are going back to the future for the next plan,

Loft Plan 1.jpg

Useable space is 20' x 6' with a maximum board depth of 20", so everything has to be extruded out to a long thin layout! Bits of Northbridge are still being looked at for various options to be tried, but I plan to build the project in two phases, Gateside terminus will be first, with the tracks laid in behind for the future extension, a temprary curve will be laid in from just beyond the hatch lifting section to the fiddleyard so the initial size will be about 13' x 6', this will give me ample opportunity to test out the feasability of the whole project and giving me something to operate, even if it didn;t get any further than that at least I would have a basic terminus fiddle yard set up. I hope to start getting timber in place next month so at least things are now starting to move forward, I will of course keep everone up to date with planning and building!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:44 am

Getting quite excited already! Perhaps my own "Year of Discontent" may shortly end.

I see the plan shows a turntable, and the original plan had one too but I could never find any mention or photo of it. What plans do you have as to the type of turntable?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am

Excellent! Great to see plans are progressing.
It's on the one to follow list. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:10 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Getting quite excited already! Perhaps my own "Year of Discontent" may shortly end.

I see the plan shows a turntable, and the original plan had one too but I could never find any mention or photo of it. What plans do you have as to the type of turntable?

Hi Ex Pat - The Gaetside turntable was a modified Dapol offering:

DSC_0011a.jpg

It was hand operated but had power to the track so locos could be driven on and off. I salvaged the bridge section but could not save the base, so will probably buy a new one.

Jim

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:02 pm

I love that plan, loads of operating potential.

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 pm

G'Day Gents.

Glad to see your making some progress, even if it is only paper progress, I've been thinking about your main problem, 'Height' or lack of, which will eventually give you a bad back, A solution may be a railway...........a railway track down the middle of your loft, with a revolving bar stool mounted on wheels, or modified office chair (with legs cut down a bit) this would allow you to do most of your modelling sitting down, but allow you to move up and down your loft/layout without ducking all the time.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am

Hi Jim,

This might give you some inspiration if you haven't already seen it.

Spectacular Glendower - Layout in a basement ( rather low headroom ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGY5BvmgkXA

Also - further to what Manna was saying, I have used small stools on wheels when working on cars etc., we called them scoot stools! Saves on the knees and the constant up and down and up and down and...... Here's an example of one you can buy, other ones I've have seen very much home made to suit the posterior involved.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:39 am

Like the look of that Ned

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Still nothing to report I'm afraid, the weather has been too wet and windy which has put me off going up the loft. On my way home form work the other day I had to divert due to an accident, took me through this place on the B777 from Beith to Lugton, think it was a hint to get off my butt!

Gateside.JPG

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 am

Hi everyone, hope you are all well - So despite being in Lockdown I am embarassed to say I still have not started building. The plan that I drew up looked great on paper, but when I drew up a cross section of the loft it showed a couple of issues that I hadn't really thought through properly. Firstly the layout was built with the higher level tracks furthest away from the operating well, this with the pitch of the roof means that every three inches you go up, you have three inches less floor space t work in. As a result the layout shrank from just over six feet wide to about 5 ft 6" wide, still do-able but not ideal. The bigger challenge was the loft trapdoor which is badly placed and was going to need a liftout section to maintain access, with the plan above this would be a multi-level section requiring a level of carpentry that frankly I am not up to,
As a result I have shelved that plan and I am woking on a single level layout with a simple bridge section over the trapdoor. Unfortunately this means the Gateside and Northbridge concept will need to be scaled down and Mavisbank will be lost as a station, here is how it would look as a schematic

schematic2.jpg

So phase one of the layout would become a straightforward oval with Northbridge at one side and a six road fiddle yard at the other, the Northbridge Station track plan will be the one I drew up and built in the 1980s, dug it out from my old files and overlaid it, it fits perfectly! In front of the fiddle yard will be an idea that first popped up when I drew up the shed plan, a spacesaver shunting yard, this will be based on the old Partick Central around closure, with various industries and a skeleton DMU service, this will use up the Mavisbank platform building. I will be able to incorporate Allenshaw as shown, although this is already built it will need changes to operate fro the front instead of the back, I will have a surplus of point motors so that is no problem. Gateside will be a later addition, tacked on as shown. There are a number of benefits form this plan, no inclines so no difficult woodwork and nothing is really lost, all the old workings can be incorporated with the fiddle yard replacing Mavisbank as that staging point. I think a few more days drawing and then I can finally cut wood with confidence that this is something that can be completed.

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am

Wot! -only 3 points there? - no wonder you'll have some surplus point motors!

Looking forward to hearing the sound of your saw in action.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”