Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Montfort

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby Montfort » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 am

Well done. In fact you're building a new layout, isn't it ?
Remember: model railroading can become contagious. So be careful...

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:36 am

Montfort wrote:Well done. In fact you're building a new layout, isn't it ?

Well - Yes and No! :D The shunting plank does have a location on the main layout and will be blended into the scenery above Northbridge and the Fiddle Yard, but the future plan is to create a base structure into which the plank and the bridge will sit, this will potentially be something that could be taken on the exhibition circuit, but that is for the future. Will be doing some work tonight so will post an update. :)

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi everyone - I felt that I did a lot tonight but don't have a great deal to show for it!! Spray painted the crane structure, stuck down some Scalescenes dirty concrete paper on the crane base and the loading ramp and holding to my promise to myself to try plasticard brick instead of brick paper to give this more texture.

General view of the foundry yard now with a little less plain white card

The crane supports have been slotted into the loading bank, wanted to get this as neat as possible but pushing the flimsy structure into the slot needs to be done carefully to avoid snapping the thin crossmembers

My first attempts on doing plasticard brick, one strip looked OK the other was not so good. I just gave the plasticard sheet a coat of red oxide primer then cut the section out and glued it to the card. Next I gave the section a wash of light acrylic grey and wiped off using my fingertips (this is the bit that I find a hit and miss), lastly I picked out some bricks in a brown and a lighter red - still need to darken it down and weather.

The not so good one in place, the wash wasn't as effective on this section

Just to show Montford that Allenshaw is still part of the main layout :D

That's all for tonight

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Excellent work throughout, Jim. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks Glencairn.

Not much done over the past week, having been away from the layout "enjoying" (or should I say surviving) a weekend at Blackpool I am back home and recovering! I made a start at the low relief foundry building, by applying the "corrugated metal" cladding using plasticard, with a brick plasticard lower section. The idea is to portray a building that has seen better days, so lots of rust type weathering is in order.

The corrugated sheet was given a Humbrol Grey/Green base coat and left to dry, then once dry cut into strips and stuck in place. Around the edges a dark brown Acrylic was brushed into place, and then a general dirtying with weathering powder. I was reading through some old posts on weathering and picked up a tip about using pastel chalks - I can confirm that they work a treat, bought a set for £5 out an art shop and they are really good for dirtying things up.

Still a lot of detail to put In place, the upper two small doors will have a stair added up to roof access platforms, and doors and other details yet to be added.

That's all for now

Jim

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Really looking the goods here! I love your painting and weathering on the brick work. I find brick incredibly challenging to paint..

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!! that corrugated sheeting and brick work weathering looks soo realistic

absolutely an amazing job and i am hoping i can re produce work like that, the misses tried to do drawing and painting some years back and has some pastels which i have confiscated for weathering :lol:

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm

It's all looking really good Jim, the corrugated sheets and slaters brick are spot on.

It must nice to get stuck into a new section of the layout, with plenty to get
your teeth into, scratch/kit building, track laying and ballasting, scenic work and
electrics and finally playing, sorry I meant operating :wink:

Watching with interest.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, finished off the cladding tonight.

Hi Jim - Hope you are feeling better! You might notice I am using one of your tips for the brickwork!!! :)

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Some inspiration I found tonight online, this is Fullwood Foundry, which I used to walk past on my way to work

canmore_image_SC00783064.jpg

Jim
Attachments
canmore_image_SC00543272.jpg

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 am

What a lovely size layout this is, any chance you could do a zoomed out picture of it all would be nice to see please
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Lee wrote:What a lovely size layout this is, any chance you could do a zoomed out picture of it all would be nice to see please

Hi Lee - I do have some photos, but the are pretty much out of date now, must get round to taking some fresh ones showing all the modifications in place, let me see what I can do.

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Very slow progress but the foundry building is creeping closer to completion, tonight I fitted support girders behind the doors, fitted sliding doors to the smaller door on the loading platform and a "roller shutter" door to the door with the access track. Started the access platforms but this is one of these tricky jobs which need a small amount built then set aside to allow the glue to set before proceeding, these platforms now need handrails fitted to complete.

Crane is now partially built and painted, Needed it done so that I can set the rails the correct distance apart

With that done I set it aside to set and went to make a start on a Ratio water tank kit that I had picked up on Ebay, unfortunately I find that there are three major components missing, so I have messaged him to let him know

Jim

manna

Postby manna » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 am

G'Day Gents

I know one thing, you've built your self a a top class shunting puzzle, :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:39 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:With that done I set it aside to set and went to make a start on a Ratio water tank kit that I had picked up on Ebay, unfortunately I find that there are three major components missing, so I have messaged him to let him know

Jim

Hi Jim. If you have no joy over the missing pieces; let me know. I have parts of a water tank in the 'plastics department'.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”