Gateside and Northbridge - Maybe Sometime!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby manna » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm

G'Day Gents

I see they have the mindless scribble over there too. :x

Not a bad looking loco either.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Tonight I returned my focus to the back bridge parapet and some scenic dressing of the "old" trackbed, I had kicked this off a couple of nights ago and had placed a length of track in place and ballasted round about it, then pulled the track up before the glue had fully set, this gave the impression of the track panel having recently been lifted, tonight I went back and gave it some scatter and static grass. The back girders have also been painted grey and weathered

At the end near the bridge, I have added a fence to mark the end of the disused line and the operational line, as was usual for these boundaries, the old line has become a shortcut and the fence has been breached! I want to add some bits and pieces to give it that real run down look.

With that done I cranked up the soldering iron and made this up from some strips of brass sheet and old Hornby steel rail

What is it? It is something that seems to be rarely modelled, picking up the back story fro a few pages ago the bridge is in dodgy condition, so the CCE has added some reinforcement bars to keep the stonework from collapsing! Even RIbblehead Viaduct had this done!

This has now been set aside and given a coat of red oxide primer, once it has then been painted rusty brown it will be glued in place on the bridge parapet.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:55 am

You've certainly achieved the run-down look.

Is the old fence fuse wire?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Lovely work LMB. You’ve nailed the weathered look of the old line and the reinforcement thingymijig is a nice touch.

Paul

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Is the old fence fuse wire?

If so, is it electrified? :lol:

Excellent work, Jim.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Afternoon everyone, Ex-Pat, Carneham, Glencairn - thanks for the kind comments - I didn't do my usual Friday night post as I was doing that which we all find most boring - ballasting :cry: I also managed to muck this up as I used that cheap PVA from "the Works" mixed 50/50 with water - this does not work as the PVA is already a dilute version of the likes of Unibond, so I had to nip up again this afternoon and mix a proper dilution and re-spray.

This obviously is an initial base layer of ballast as it will need to be weathered/distressed substantially before it looks like the old set of sidings that it represents, similarly the bridge looks like it has just been freshly laid!

The old fence - which is the laser cut kit from "model railway scenery" using the wire supplied in that kit has been weathered a bit with the wire painted a rusty brown and a couple of plasticard corrugated panels added to the gap, these need to rust a bit as well

Thanks again

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 pm

I really like the old bridge. Well done. Image
Back on the track !
Chris

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Cheers Montford - your Inglenook is coming one really well too! :)

Jim

manna

Postby manna » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 pm

G'Day Gents

That bridge is a small masterpiece :shock:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Cheers Montford - your Inglenook is coming one really well too! :) Jim

Thanks. Yours too.
Back on the track !
Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:32 pm

The re-enforcing bars make an interesting feature. I've not seen this done the same way down here, but maybe I've not kept my eyes open.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 am

Hi Mountain - I have seen this applied to several structures in Scotland, it is used where viaducts or other bridges have been built in areas where there is mining subsidence, the most extreme example is the viaduct that carries the Glasgow to Edinburgh main line over the A89 near Newbridge in Midlothian, this has been heavily strapped and reinforced with engineers blue brick due to subsidence due to shale mining in that area.

Photo from Geograph

geograph-44301-by-Richard-Webb.jpg

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:18 am

Great work on the bridge Jim, all coming together really well.

This section of your layout is like a layout in itself! Excellent stuff.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm

railwayjim wrote:Great work on the bridge Jim, all coming together really well.

Jim.

Thanks Jim - You are quite correct in saying that it is like a layout in itself - long term plan is to build a separate baseboard and mount the bridge and shunting plank on it, making it an independent layout which could possibly be exhibited, but that is a fair bit in the future. I finished off weathering the track on the bridge and have mounted it in place. Need to start the scenic work on the shunting area but I have some issues with the uncouplers, one lever broke and one other has stopped working due to the glue from the ballast gumming up the works. I am planning to dispense with the plastic levers and I bought copper tube at the Ayr model show to replace them. Hate having to go back and re-do stuff but it cant be helped
Latest photos

Bridge back in place

Detail of bufferstop and fence, I need to blend these together a bit, it is obvious that they were done separately, photo was a bit dark unfortunately.
Image[/url]

A taste of things to come, 16T mineral wagons have been bought to fill the yard

And on the subject of bufferstops, I chose dark brown, but at Kings Lynn they paint these things a bit brighter!!! :o

That's all for now

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:10 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
railwayjim wrote:Great work on the bridge Jim, all coming together really well.

Jim.

Thanks Jim - You are quite correct in saying that it is like a layout in itself - long term plan is to build a separate baseboard and mount the bridge and shunting plank on it, making it an independent layout which could possibly be exhibited, but that is a fair bit in the future. I finished off weathering the track on the bridge and have mounted it in place. Need to start the scenic work on the shunting area but I have some issues with the uncouplers, one lever broke and one other has stopped working due to the glue from the ballast gumming up the works. I am planning to dispense with the plastic levers and I bought copper tube at the Ayr model show to replace them. Hate having to go back and re-do stuff but it cant be helped
Latest photos

Bridge back in place

Detail of bufferstop and fence, I need to blend these together a bit, it is obvious that they were done separately, photo was a bit dark unfortunately.
Image[/url]

A taste of things to come, 16T mineral wagons have been bought to fill the yard

And on the subject of bufferstops, I chose dark brown, but at Kings Lynn they paint these things a bit brighter!!! :o

That's all for now

Ha ha I’ve seen Suffolk pink houses but I didn’t know Norfolk did the pink as well unless that buffer was from Suffolk....

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”