Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Seems to have been really quiet on NRM this week, everyone on holiday or enjoying the good weather?

I have been pressing on with the bridge abutment and managed to get the majority of the work finished tonight, some painting and fine detailing still to do but it is structurally complete.

Couple of views of the structure after applying the brick paper...

The black painted wood will be hidden by the backscene so no covering is required

A view of the underside, showing the brick lining of the top of the arch.

The abutment put in place.

Unfortunately the "lean" has not gone away and it looks as though it cannot be fixed, so in the absence of the solution I will do what most modellers do and CREATE A BACK STORY" = It is supposed to lean!! the abutment was noticed to be failing some years ago and all passenger services over the bridge were stopped (historical provenance here - the line into the real Allenshaw was severed due to the deterioration of the Clyde Viaduct). So the bridge has been left in place as the headshunt for the foundry with small tank engines only allowed on the bridge at slow speed. I am going to add some reinforcing rails and plates (as per Batty Moss viaduct) to help with the story

The other abutment will be MUCH easier to make, as it is a simple support with no big structural complexity.

Cheers all - enjoy your holidays!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Always lurking!
Coming along nicely :P
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:46 pm

The brickpaper seems almost 3D - very realistic - what sort is it?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:44 am

Ex-Pat wrote:The brickpaper seems almost 3D - very realistic - what sort is it?

Hi Ex-Pat - the brick paper is Scalescenes T46 Random Ashlar https://scalescenes.com/product/tx46-random-ashlar/ When checking that link I notice that they have upgraded the pack to include the arches and coping on a different sheet - an even better deal.

Needs a coat of mat lacquer and some weathering to finish.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:02 pm

As usual, a good result. I like the photographic view point also.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:37 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Hi Ex-Pat - the brick paper is Scalescenes T46 Random Ashlar https://scalescenes.com/product/tx46-random-ashlar/
Jim

Thanks Jim - looks like they'll get some business!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi all - Mrs Luckymucklebackit has gone off to the caravan :D so I have a week of evening modelling to my hearts content before I go down and join her on Friday for a week.

The focus last night and tonight was on getting the cradle for the Allenshaw Inglenook and the Inglenook "Plank" constructed, last night was all about getting the levels right and mocking things up, a frustrating night where an extra pair of hands would definitely been a benefit, but tonight was much more productive and the plank is now complete with its frame and sitting in the cradle at the back end and on an existing support at the bridge end. The bridge end was a bit of a fiddle as the existing support was about 3mm too high for the framing and ply that I wanted to use, so I had to improvise with some thinner wood made up into a ply to get the height.

General view of the plank and bridge..

The plank sitting above the fiddle yard, it is still possible to run the yard with the plank in place, but for a full "main layout" running session the plank would be removed.

Couple of views looking down the trackbed

Hopefully more progress tomorrow night!

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Heatwave? What Heatwave? This week was my second summer week holiday, and weather wise this one has been as miserable as the first was warm and sunny. Gave up watching the rain running down the windows of the caravan yesterday and came home. The upside of this was that I could get back to work on the layout!

I completed the abutment for the bridge and started track laying, As usual last minute changes have been made and this resulted in an additional point being ordered from Ebay, I hope to have this over the weekend. The changes involved abandoning the idea of the run-down passenger platform and using the point that I had to make a loco siding and a brake van dock instead, this provides additional shunting interest when the freight arrives from off scene and the brake van has to be put of the right end of the train going back out after the shunt has been completed.

The plan now looks like this

The "Y" point will go where the Peco Label is sitting just now, and will be the entrance point for the two "Three Wagon" sidings, the "five wagon" siding has already been laid.

As the weather is forecast to improve over the weekend we are planning to get back down to the caravan tomorrow, so that will be it until Monday Night.

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Innovation time again! As I am a typical canny Scot I wanted to have some form of automatic uncoupling method for the Inglenook without paying out for some electromagnetic DCC super duper gizmo :D

I therefore came up with this, don't know if it has been done before but basically it is a wire operated contraption which needs a bit of fine tuning.
The basic idea is as follows. I drilled a hole in the board between two sleepers and pushed a piece of plastic tube through and cut to length flush with the top of the sleepers and just below the underside of the board

I then fabricated the actuator using a piece of rod that is a nice sliding fit in the tube topped off with two layers of plasticard, the thicker layer on the bottom had a hole drilled to accept the rod. The small hole at the end of the rod will take the cable, it is important that this hole is at right angles to the plasticard strip of there will be a tendency for the top to turn when activated.

The wire I used is picture hanging wire bought from Wilco for £1.50, this is anchored using a staple on one side and one of those self adhesive cable anchors on the other.

The wire is passed through the little hole at the end of the actuator, I originally was going to use a weight to help the actuator reset but I found some spring in the odd things box and used that instead

The cable has been temporarily wrapped round a piece of old rail, I want to use a lever mechanism eventually

And the finished top looks reasonably unobtrusive between the rails, some painting and weathering will follow.

Does it work - this video shows the first trials

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/42940754845/in/dateposted/

Hope this is of some interest

Jim

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Well done, works perfectly. Hope the end of that clip wasn't you falling over ! :0)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks Buggleskelly, I don't use my phone for video much and forgot how to switch the thing off :D

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi All - managed to complete tracklaying and assembling the point mechanisms last night, the track took a bit of fiddling as the normal configuration didn't quite fit. I had to trim a couple of sleeper lengths off the "Y" point to make it fit, still the prototype of yard I am modelling never had nice smooth formation.

I modified the method of assembling the spoke and wire actuator from the way I did it for the St Margarets project, as I had a couple of issues with the spoke getting bumped enough to pull the wire out of the hole in the point, and it is a devil of a job to get back in. I therefore bent a "tail" to rest on top of the point and dropped the wire through, this meant that I could not pre-form the loop for the spoke to pass through and as a result had to bend the wire around the spoke, which is a trickier job. I also had a couple of points where the spoke was too short to reach from the operating side so I had to use a short piece of copped tube as a sleeve soldered to two sections of spoke to make the length.

Another issue was that the actuators for two of the points had to cross over each other due to the angle of the point, easily done by setting one actuator 5mm higher than the other. The electric feeds are also not in, just have to position the auto-uncouplers and that will be the underside of the plank finished, then I can get started on the scenic.

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Not much creative activity on either Gateside or Allenshaw over the past week thanks to the purchase of the display layout as posted in the "Preowned Windfalls" thread. The layout was delivered on Friday Morning and put in the dining room, I was given clear instructions from Mrs Luckymucklebackit that it was to be dismantled and out of the dining room by Sunday! And no Mess!!!
This was not the easiest of jobs as I wanted to salvage as much as possible and whoever built it meant it to last - which unfortunately had led to its demise. It was constructed from 15mm flooring chipboard on a sturdy timber frame, with Hornby steel set-track throughout, this had been pinned in every hole then well ballasted with a strong PVA solution I think (rock hard), and since the layout had been displayed in the foyer of the care home (glass windows all round) had been subject to some extremes of temperature that resulted in about 50% of the track buckling, so that had to be scrapped off. All the buildings were Metcalf, securely glued to the baseboard so I had to carefully pries these off, lost the platforms and one industrial building (but saved the glazing for future use), the only downside is that again because of where the layout was displayed, the side of the buildings facing he window were well bleached. Also managed to save a whole load of good quality trees and other scenic details which will find their way onto Gateside. Suffice to say it is now an ex-layout, bereft of track it rests in the skip
The stock that came with it is now in the loft pending a check over and test, hope to do that tonight and post some photographs.

Cheers everyone

Jim

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi Jim, re the push rods for points on an angle. I had this but found that using a bit of spring steel wire for the vertical bit I could keep the rods at right angles to the frame and let the springy bit take up the change of angle.
I use the brass bit out of a choc block connector to clamp the wire to the rod. There's a small hole in the brass between the screws, I found that I could bend a little hook in the end of the wire, slide the wire in and register it in the hole, then slide the rod through, helps prevent the wire disappearing up the side of the rod before you can clamp it in.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for that tip Bufferstop - wish I had thought of that as it was really fiddly attaching the wires to the spokes, would have saved a lot of hassle. The strange thing is that I have used the choc block connectors mounts for a pivot rod when I cobbled together the lever frame to actuate the uncouplers

Image[/url]

The levers are made from plastic tube with the picture wire threaded through, a small length of the bicycle spoke forms the pivot rod. I then cut small squares of copper from a sheet and curved then so that they fit round the plastic tube, the copper squares and the picture wire were then tinned and then the wire was soldered to the copper which was then in turn superglued to the plastic rod, to give more rigidity a copper tube was then pushed up the inside of the plastic tube. I have still to paint the levers to colour code them to each uncoupler then form a bit of casing round the lower end

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”