Gateside and Northbridge (Incorporating the Allanshaw Inglenook)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Well pleased for you Jim, but have you hoovered up yet?!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Well pleased for you Jim, but have you hoovered up yet?!

:D Nah - my old Lima Hoover hasn't turned a wheel for a long time!! :D

Always getting nagged by the better half for letting sawdust fall out of the loft too,

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

So compared to Railway Jim my progress is like treacle, Not helped by a cold I have been putting together the Scalescenes Northlight Loco Shed. Making a few customizations as I passed on the Brassmasters windows as I felt they took the budget loco shed out of the budget category

1) Side windows: I had a few window frames from an old Dapol loco shed so I modified the card sides to take the smaller profile of these windows

On the other side I bricked up the windows! Couple of inserts covered with engineers blue brick, as the water tank will be on this side it figures that these windows could have been filled in

2) Roof Windows: I reverted to the tried and trusted method of a clear plastic film overlaid by microstrip frame, time consuming and fiddly but seems to have worked in the end

To assemble this walls and roof is a tricky process, trying to keep two wall and two roof sections together with one pair of hands is not possible so I cut out a pair of card spacers and wedged them in place

That allowed me to set the shed in position and check clearances, there are a lot of steps to complete before the shed is complete, hopefully I will get there someday! The tank is borrowed from Gateside, the one that will be built for this depot will have a brick base spanning the track below

New acquisition being shunted at Gateside, not bad for just over a tenner!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm

We all wallow in treacle compared to the output Jim offers but your work is no less impressive. I like those modifications to the windows to give it a bit of individual character.

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 pm

The shed is looking really good Jim. The water tower sitting at the side
makes it a nice compact depot. I'm sure I've seen somewhere a water tower
built using the Salescenes brick base and the Dapol tank on top, could be
built open ended to straddle the line at the side, just a thought.

Good progress considering you have the man flu!

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 pm

railwayjim wrote:The shed is looking really good Jim. The water tower sitting at the side
makes it a nice compact depot. I'm sure I've seen somewhere a water tower
built using the Salescenes brick base and the Dapol tank on top, could be
built open ended to straddle the line at the side, just a thought.

Good progress considering you have the man flu!

Jim.

Thanks guys - Will give that suggestion some thought Jim - Cheers

Jim

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Or you could make something like this, with an in-built water tank :-
44-0002_3092935_Qty1_1.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Lovely Brian Sheriff back scenes!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Mountain - the backscenes are a total mixture, Brian Sheriff, Peco and ones customised from photographs. The customised ones are my favourites.

Buggleskelly - Yes I had a look at that one, but unfortunately it doesn't fit so it will need to be a scratchbuild job/

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Small steps, the engine shed is now complete, there is quite a lot of detail In these kits but it does take a while to cut everything out and assemble.

The internal detail is really good

My weekend purchases from the exhibition

Three Insulfish vans, these will definitely need to be weathered

And this little beauty, a bargain at £75 new, it is a limited edition factory weathered Bachmann loco, really pleased with this one, total impulse buy.

Cheers

Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm liking that shed Jim, as you say plenty of detail.

The fish vans are a nice wagon, and yes weathering would be a good move. I remember
seeing them in the sidings here in Fleetwood years ago when we had a fishing fleet! They were
always in filthy condition and you could smell them a mile off.

Wasn't that the loco they nicknamed 'Mickey Mouse'? I'm sure it was. Nice looking loco.

Are you fitting hard standing in the shed entrance Jim?

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Jim - yes the shed kit comes with the overlays to create the floor and inspection pits, that is the next job. I wanted to get the position bang on before cutting away the baseboard.

That class of loco was indeed called "Mickey Mouse" why, I have no idea!!

Cheers

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:39 pm

So the plan for tonight:

Tonight I will be tackling the inspection pits, I had cut the slots to make the inspection pits in the baseboard on Monday night and that took me all evening as Sods law was applied and the batten was directly under where I had positioned the faraway track, so instead of a simple hole then jigsaw cut I had to gang drill the slot then hack away with various tools to make the pit! :|

The instructions on the Scalescenes kit suggests that you glue the track directly to a card base, but as I had successfully used an alternative method when building pits for the Shed at Gateside, I will follow that method which is as follows:
1) Mark out the position of the track centre lines (Done)
2) Cut the slot for the ash/inspection pit, I cut them about 12mm wide (Done with difficulty as mentioned above!)
3) Lay the track over the top of the slot, fix in place with glue and to ensure that the track does not move, pin the track by the sleepers on the outside of the rail. On the Gateside build I pinned every third sleeper but think that I might get away with less. Need to use a rule to ensure the track is absolutely straight.
4) Carefully cut away the sleepers above the slot, the cut should be just inside the chairs on each side, clear away all debris
5) Place a piece of plasticard against the side wall of the slot and fill the space between the sleepers with a very stiff mixture of filler (or use milliput), the plasticard will act as a barrier to give a good edge. File away any rough protrusions of the filler.
6) Once the filler is set, glue the printed pit sides and base to thin card and glue in place in the slot.
7) Position the card base on the outside of the track, the 2mm pasteboard is about right for the depth of Peco code 100 sleepers, then apply a further layer of card to bring the floor of the depot up to almost the top of the rails, use the printed floors provided with the kit for the top layer
8 ) Weather as appropriate

Once that is done. To get the proper ground appearance I am also building up the base to the sleeper tops using the same mount board, fine ballast will be used to fill between the sleepers, the top of the board is then liberally coated with PVA and my stock of Troon Beach sand used to coat, this will be sprayed black and then weathered to get this kind of surface. https://flic.kr/p/dohroM

Hopefully all will go to plan, will post later on with photographs to illustrate some of the steps above.

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Things went reasonably well - some photos of progress

Starting point for the evening, slots for inspection pits cut

Track glued and pinned in place over the slots

Card cut for the depot base, I skipped a couple of the planned steps tonight and will go back and go the sides and floor of the pits on Monday night

That's all for tonight!

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Progress has been made with the new steam shed for Northbridge, I built up the card to sleeper height and added the sand to give the initial texture, I filled the voids between the sleepers with Hornby dark grey grit which is finer than most ballast and therefore more prototypical for steam sheds where ash was the most common method of bedding in track. I sprayed the whole lot matt black and then applied Peco coal dust to bring up the highlights.

I finally go round to assembling the home made static grass applicator that I bought the parts for last summer (fly zapper+metal tea strainer) and was amazed to see that it works quite well with the static grass that I bought at the Glasgow show. Bear in mind that this is my first attempt at static grass so I probably need more practise, the buffer stop also needs straightened up!

Or using the flash

That's all for now

Cheers

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”