Gateside and Northbridge - Maybe Sometime!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby manna » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 am

G'Day Gents

That sir, looks excellent, congratulations, now with a few LNER type loco's......instantly recognizable 8)

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for th ekind comments once again guys, if anyone is interested, the backscene with the tenaments is free of copyright and if anyine wants a copy to play about with for there own use let me know.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Terraforming has been in full swing at the east end of Northbridge, I was beginning to feel like Roy Neary building Devils Mountain from Close Encouters of the third kind. These photographs give a quick impression of the progress.

Layout August 011 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout August 010 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout August 008 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout August 006 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout August 002 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout August 012 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 pm

That all really is coming on a treat. The backscene is, as used to be said, "something else"!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks Whynot, I was really please with progress myself, I was particularly amazed how well the backscene blended with the foreground scenery.
Still got some general tidying up work to do, there is a bit of platform missing which has to be reinstated, then I am going to start on the signals. I have a Dapol gantry ready to assembly, this will be combined with bits salvaged off one that I had previously built, as it needs to span four tracks. Down below track level where the two EFE buses sit is going to be a bus garage, and I have purchased a Scalescenes kit which I will adapt to suit, not a "main" garage, more the back street type with a small fleet of tourers.
Also experimenting with making my own trees, having been inspired by phil.c's Pen Y Bryn superb layout.

then again I might just play trains for a while :)

Jim

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

Always nice to see pictures of your layout. Very atmospheric, and must be a pleasure to run.
Thanks
Martin

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Horror Shock Probe - Drunkenness at Gateside and Vice at Northbridge!!!

Bought some Faller figures, falling right into the cliche of the Glasgow Drunk. The scenario is that a return football special has just arrived at Gateside, offloading the drunken fans

Layout September 003 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

The van is a recent car boot sale find, not often you get a van so appropriate for your layout as this

Layout September 004 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Meanshile over at Northbridge I have started to fill the area in from of the tracks, this is a downbeat industrial area, featuring Big Bill Browns garage, a small time Coach Excursion operator, a scrap yard will complete the scene. Lucky Lucy, a "Professional Lady" has moved into this area and hangs about the lamp post looking for custom. In the background, 67601 leaves Northbridge on a North Berwick service. The Garage is the Scalescenes download, the buses are a couple of EFEs, once again picked up at a car boot sale for the princely sum of £4

Layout September 001 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Couple of shots of the Signal Gantry under construction at the East End of Northbridge.

Layout September 007 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Layout September 006 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

All for now

Jim

grippets

Postby grippets » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Love the tunnel entrances. Nice work :D
Follow me on Instagram @deanstreetstation

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 am

Quick news report..

We have bought a static caravan at Portpatrick so I have been spending as much time there until the end of the season, this has curtailed the time available for working on the layout. The scenics from "project 2013" having been 98% completed I decided on a running session on Monday, this was a disaster, Northbridge worked fine, apart from a couple of spots where paint or glue had got onto the track surface, didn't take long to clean these up. Problems started when I tried to run a train up to Gateside, it got as far as Mavisbank and stopped! Reason: the panel there had been removed and replaced a few times during the rebuild and there were so many broken/loose/unidentified wires that an instant decision was taken to totally rebuild the Mavisbank panel to the same standard as the new Northbridge panel, which has been performing superbly, the couple of faults were traced almost instantly. Should not take more than a couple of weeks to sort out though!! Hopefully get a prolonged running session before the next project, which is to get the existing colour light signals at Mavisbank and the new ones at Northbridge working.

Jim

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Just came across this layout. Great work. Love Buchanan Street station looks the business.

Can imagine some of those 303's in there would look fantastic and other SPT units :-)

Paul

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Always nice to see pics. of my favourite layout.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks as always for the kind comments guys, I have finished off the refurbished Mavisbank Control Panel so I am haltin all construction work for a while and getting back to play some trains. Will post some photos soon.

Cheers

jim

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm

I really like this layout, I've had a look at this a couple of times and enjoyed looking at your modelling. now I've commented I can check back more often :D
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Very nice layout Jim! I particularly like the twin tunnels.

Cheers
Simon

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks again Simon and 'Scotsman. One thing that I have learned from building this layout is that it is much better to at least base the layout on a prototype rather than dreaming it up completely. For those not totally familiar with Waverley station here is the present day prototype below...

The Google Maps "birds eye" view...

Calton Tunnel 45.JPG
Calton Tunnel 45.JPG (103.37 KiB) Viewed 4455 times

The view from the platform end

Calton Ground View.jpg
Calton Ground View.jpg (108.07 KiB) Viewed 4455 times

And the layout view for comparison

Layout August 010 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Unfortunatley I was not able to make both tunnels double track due to the position of a roof support, however I think I have retained the general impression of the area.

Regards

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”