Gateside and Northbridge - It begins at last!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi all

I have been experimenting with an old webcam over the last couple of days, it is stripped down to the basics and gripped by a crocodile clip on a "helping hands" frame. This way I can get some views that I cannot get with the full size camera. The focus aint great (but Robert Adley got away with that for years).

B1 Leaves Platform 2 at Gateside with a Perth Working.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668970771/

Gateside fuelling depot,with BR standard 5 in the background

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668970331/

"Ouribi", with the signal box in the background

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668969779/

K3 61932 backs out of platform 2, havingbeen released by the B1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668968105/

The K3 reverses into the depot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668969347/

Round the back of the depot, with the K3 under the coaling plant. Black 5 45021 can be seenon the shed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6668968749/

Couple of views of the Competed Northbridge Station building to finish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6539420197/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40903121@N00/6539419725/

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi all.

I have been doing some detailling projects on the layout. First up for the treatment was the Engineering Company at Northbridge. I detailed the basic Metcalf building using plastic tube for drain piles and added a ladder to the roof. I also added a "A" frame crane over the siding to unload into the workshop. For some detail around the building I added an area to the right of the building with some derelict machinery, an old crane and a bending machine.

Untitled by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

At the other end I added a shed (Scalescenes freeby) and embellished it using the Ratio Industrial parts kit, linked that to the main building by a pipe bridge made from plastic section with some old wire coathanger as tube. Forklift is the Knightwing kit and it is painted genuine Yale Gold, as I used to work where they made the full size ones, so I was able to obtain some original paint. It is a bit bright, needs to be toned down a bit. Some other odds and ends to add.

To finish off I added a chimney at the rear (card covered with brick paper) and Ratio fencing and gates.

Other projects to follow!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks really nice, just a shame that Metcalfe discontinued that building.
All Aboooooard !!

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:01 am

How did I miss this layout?!!........ Excellent modeling & so much variety within the 3 stations.

I love the detailing done with the engineering company.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge - A signalbox for Northbridge

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Latest project I have been working on has been a signalbox for Northbridge. As this is the "Edinburgh" end of the layout my original idea was to do a model based on Waverley West, but I didn't think that it would work as Waverley was signalled with colour light signals since 1936. I had a lot of completed Ratio kits from previous personal and club layouts so I wanted to use these up.
I had a look around various photographs of boxes until I came across one of Aberdeen South, this fitted the bil perfectly, large mechanically signalled station on the East coast of Scotland, and the box is an ARP design with little in the way of difficulty to build.

Image (image copyright the signalbox.org)

I obtained a few other photographs of the 'box and set about building work. I also made the model a mirror image of the original as it fitted into the sace available better. The windows were fabricated from plastic strip and the main body of the box is Rowney mounting board, which I find just the right thickness for building work. The brick paper is Scalescenes brick, processed on screen to lighten it close to the brick colour of the original box. The access stairs was the trickiest bit, I used leftover stair sections from an old Dapol footbridge kit, the handrails are dressmakers pins pushed trough holes drilled in the steps and snipped to length, these are connectedby leftover wire from Ratio signal kits and soldered in place.

For the Caledonian box at Gateside I took the time to individually make the levers from plastic strip, since the interior of this box is less visible I did a printed interior to make it look the part, this when the roof is on doesn't look bad at all.

Photographs:

layout 143 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 142 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 141 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 140 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 139 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 144 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Just found this photograph on Flikr showing the other end of the box, I have missed an overlay of "concrete", to be corrected before fixing the roof on.

Aberdeen Scotland 23rd April 1977 by loose_grip_99, on Flickr
Jim

luckymucklebackit

Gateside and Northbridge - Northbridge 'Box Complete!

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi all - the guttering was delivered yesterday morning so as the better half went out I got going with the plumbing this morning. I used thin copper and aluminium tubefrom Paisley Model Centre for the down pipes and .240 half round styrene strip for the gutters, supported by other bits of microstrip. For the "joins" in the down pipe I used a larger bore aluminium tube (the inside diameter was just a nice fit on the outside diameter of the smaller stuff),

Photographs

layout 146 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

layout 147 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

So that is that project finished, next up is the shed offices at Gateside, and I have chosen a 1960s icon for this..

Wish me luck

Jim
Attachments
canmore_image_sc_06_676262.jpg
canmore_image_sc_06_676262.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 4374 times

HARRYMALLARD

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:12 pm

That signal box is some nice modelling!
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Hmm I am not so sure, I think you should send it to me so I can fully inspect it. :lol: :lol:
All Aboooooard !!

HARRYMALLARD

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey now, finders keepers!
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi Guys - thanks for the kind comments, but that it one box that is statying put!! Here is something that I can share with everyone. I made up some 1960s style flurescent station platform lights using leftover scraps from the signalbox build. Here is how I did it.

First, take some scrap lengths of rails, cut to about 25mm long and slightly taper with the base of the rail the widest point. Next, solder the rail to the head of a a dressmakers pin and when cool, paint white. Paint what would have been the underside of the rail the regional colour, being the Scottish region I have painted it light blue. Cut a length of 2mm x 0.45 wall thickness aluminium tubeto about 3 inches and cut a 15mm length of 3mm x 0,45 tube, paint the 2mm tube white and paint the 3mm tube the regional colour, the three parts should slip together nicely, the pin within the 2mm tube and the 3mm tube over the 2mm tube.
To finish off print off labels with the station name, use ariel font, size about 5. result, a cheap and reasonable realistic station lamp. Drill a 2mm hole in the platform and push the tube in till the height looks right.

Hope this is of some help

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Super job Jim - (I seem to have missed Northbridge off my list of Victoria stations in the Quiz!)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi everyone, just a couple of totally gratuitous photographs after building a couple more signals for Northbridge.

Drivers eye view of the platform end signals
layout 152 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

New signalbox in place, retaining wall needs to be done behind the box.
layout 149 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Jim

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Excellent scratch build of the signal box Jim, loads of fine detailing skill applied to bring it to life.

I also love the photos in the last post of the box in situ and the view looking up the line from the platform. A lovely collection of signaling too. Are they prototypical to the layout lines? Doesnt matter to me if they're not, they look great either way :D :D :D
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 am

Hi Steve and thanks once again for the kind comments. As far as I am aware the sigalling would just about meet the requirements of the prototype railway, there are probably one or two areas where a professional signalman would take issue with the position of the signals. Several of the signals pre-date the layout by a good number of years, I built many of them for an exhibition layout for Cumbernauld Model Railway Club called "Exchange Square" which was built around the track plan of Liverpool Exchange just before closure, and we attracted much favourable comment about the authenticity of the signals at Model Rail Scotland and other exhibitions in the early 1990s.

Having signals built and placed in a reasonably prototypical fashion is in my opinion a major enhancement to any model railway layout, I once read a comment that went along the lines on "if a track plan can be easily signalled, it can be easily operated and will be close to prototype practise" I find that comment to be very accurate!!. If any forum members have any doubts about signalling their layout, I would strongly recommend joining up on the forum at the http://www.signalbox.org/ site, you will find a massive resource of information about sigals, prototype track plans and rules and regulations, along with the combined experience of signalmen and others in the industry who would help you with your model signals. (There is a sub-forum about model railways).

All the best for now

Jim

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Excellent stuff, I particularly like your signalbox.

Regards,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_blue/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”