Not really a layout...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mikespace

Not really a layout...

Postby Mikespace » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I've seen a few of these pop up on here every now and then and being bored recently and with work on my layout slowing while I wait to acquire funds to continue work, I thought I'd have a go at making a "scenic plank" or what ever you call them

Not really sure what to do next with it though, I wouldn't say it's finished just yet, so any ideas of anything that I could add?

lmsrail

Re: Not really a layout...

Postby lmsrail » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:22 pm

A platform waiting room or building would be nice and a signal of some sort at the end of the platform?
Regards, Jed

GWMainline

Postby GWMainline » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello Mikespace,

What about some fencing along one side (or both). Or a hedge. A few trees here and there, or in a row to form a backdrop. What about a driver or crew man on the platform for break from the heat? A solitary light (or should that be lamp) on the platform. A station name board.

John P

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:03 pm

You could make a portion of the platform a cattle dock......maybe add some crate and milk churns, benches, a couple of figures perhaps a couple on the grassy embankment having a picnic?
All Aboooooard !!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:17 pm

They're really useful for photographing stock - much better than simply plonking it on a kitchen worktop.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mikespace

Postby Mikespace » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Cheers for the comments and ideas guys, keep em coming =p + any ideas for any other "planks I could build?!!?!

lmsrail wrote:A platform waiting room or building would be nice and a signal of some sort at the end of the platform?

yeah both good ideas, I don't really want to spend any money though so any ideas on how I could build the waiting room/building? + I have some oversized hornby signals, guess I could use them

GWMainline wrote:Hello Mikespace,
What about some fencing along one side (or both). Or a hedge. A few trees here and there, or in a row to form a backdrop. What about a driver or crew man on the platform for break from the heat? A solitary light (or should that be lamp) on the platform. A station name board.
John P

hmm yeah think I have some old fencing lying about, will have a dig around for it! yeah trees could work, and yeah populating the platform would be a good idea, I have some lights/lamps I could use, they look kinda odd though, I'll install one and then ask again for ways to improve it, hmm a name board seen as my layout is called "loftfordshire" I guess this could be "plankton"

thebritfarmer wrote:You could make a portion of the platform a cattle dock......maybe add some crate and milk churns, benches, a couple of figures perhaps a couple on the grassy embankment having a picnic?

yeah more great ideas cheers, have all those things lying about (cept the cattle dock) any ideas on how I could build one w/o spending any money?

Lysander wrote:They're really useful for photographing stock - much better than simply plonking it on a kitchen worktop.
Tony

yeahh I agree thats why I shoved my 3mt on there + to make it a bit more interesting

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:23 am

Some junk, general rubbish and such as if this is just a short spur from
something Beeching closed/closing down.

I enjoy making dioramas/photo plinths/small scenes. Firstly they are easy
to make indoors on the kitchen table, secondly don't take too long, thirdly
make ideal places to experiment with 'new' techniques, or ideas, fourthly
have low cost as most materials come from 'spares' sources. Fifthly (if
there is such a word) the ideal place to photograph stock or locomotives.

I won't bounce with a photo, but just added one in the model photography
threads 'something to do' where I wanted to look at a weathered and loaded
wagon through the eyes of a camera.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 pm

looks good :D how about a couple of "anoraks"....i mean enthusiasts :lol: :lol: on the platform :wink:

how'd you do the bumpy hilly bits??

Mikespace

Postby Mikespace » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Some junk, general rubbish and such as if this is just a short spur from
something Beeching closed/closing down.

I enjoy making dioramas/photo plinths/small scenes. Firstly they are easy
to make indoors on the kitchen table, secondly don't take too long, thirdly
make ideal places to experiment with 'new' techniques, or ideas, fourthly
have low cost as most materials come from 'spares' sources. Fifthly (if
there is such a word) the ideal place to photograph stock or locomotives.

I won't bounce with a photo, but just added one in the model photography
threads 'something to do' where I wanted to look at a weathered and loaded
wagon through the eyes of a camera.

Geoff T.

yeahh mess everywhere would look good, and yeah ive been following St. Oval, really impressive considering how simple the concept is

35011 GSN wrote:looks good :D how about a couple of "anoraks"....i mean enthusiasts :lol: :lol: on the platform :wink:

how'd you do the bumpy hilly bits??

didnt know they made scale models of you and shakeshaft, this time i made the hills using that insulation foam stuff, works pretty well i thought! bit more solid than my previous duct tape method

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Not sure about materials for a cattle dock but at a guess perhaps matchsticks?
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”