New N Gauge Layout - Broadwick Street

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jimmy77

New N Gauge Layout - Broadwick Street

Postby Jimmy77 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Afternoon everyone,

Its been many many years since i last had a layout in the parents garage, so i've finally decided to get back into it.

Decided to go for N gauge, mainly due to space limitations, 6ft x 3ft board, with a raised area. Going for late 80's / early 90's theme, suburban london feel. Don't have a name for it yet, but will be mainly industrial with a quite large mainline station. Already purchased some nice looking loco's, track, points, and am awaiting delivery of rolling stock (9 GF carriages in what appears to be mint condition from ebay for 50 quid, seems a good deal to me!), and the baseboard, motors, switches etc. Once I start construction i'll post some images, including a track plan. I'm sure i'll be back on this forum quite a lot to ask advice about the electrics etc, as i'm sure things have changed since my early years of model railway making!

Jimmy
Last edited by Jimmy77 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

Nathan20138

Re: New N Gauge Layout

Postby Nathan20138 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Jimmy, all the best with the layout, always good to have another N gauger on board. :D

Don't forget the pictures, we like pictures on here.

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33379

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

"... suburban London feel ..."
+ N gauge

Sounds good to me :)

413x

Postby 413x » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 pm

sounds like a good sounding layout and i shall be following this layout closely

good luck with the build

alex

phil sabin

Postby phil sabin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 pm

this does sound good and good era to pick too :D
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. Not much progress to report as i'm still waiting for my baseboard material to turn up... although I heard it will be tomorrow! :D

Can't wait to get started, the loco's are sitting idle, all ready to go!

The platform is still under construction btw...

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

jamwrx

Postby jamwrx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:59 pm

nice looking loco's you have there have you got ur base board yet?

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Hello,

Yes baseboard has arrived, and is currently under construction. Got the 6x3 board from MRS which went together nicely, just adding a few more supports to the framework underneath.

Have a couple more additions to the fleet too, 2 x class 37's to take care of the freight operations.

Layout

jamwrx

Postby jamwrx » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:56 pm

again nice loco's have you got a track plan yet or you still looking for ideas?

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Hello,

Well I have a trackplan... sort of... i'm sure it'll change a little as construction starts. Its pretty much based on this:

The dark grey area is a raised area so much of the track will run around it and underneath, apart from one section which starts to rise around the curved section to go on top, then starts to descent to pass underneath itself to come back out at the bottom which is where the station is. Don't take too much notice of the curve radii at the mo, it was just a quick playabout on anyrail to give you a rough idea... I'll probably include a couple of sidings somewhere... With this layout I can have 3 trains running continously which should keep me entertained :)

Jimmy
Layout

jamwrx

Postby jamwrx » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:08 pm

yeah look's good that plan,like you said though think you will need some sidings :)

Jimmy77

Re: New N Gauge Layout - Broadwick Street

Postby Jimmy77 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Hello all,

Finally have a name for the layout - Broadwick Street. Have also got a proper track layout sorted, although at the moment I cant post it on here as its all done on good ol' graph paper!

The layout and station is going to be loosely based on Broad Street station area around the mid 80's but before they demolished most of the station. There will be upper and lower platforms (upper being a terminus, and lower being a through mainline). The name of the layout comes from the renaming of a different Broad Street, namely the notorious one in Soho that was the centre of the cholera epidemics in the 1850's.

Anyways, enough history of london I hear you cry, what have you actually done to the layout? Well not a great deal, although I have now attached the baseboard to the workbench after some modifications to accomodate the structure of the workbench. This gives me a good solid base structure and clear access to the wiring underneath.

I have also built my first item of scenery which is a London Underground steam/smoke vent. This will be slotted underneath the layout to give it a multi layered feel. Back in the day when the underground was using steam engines they needed places to allow steam and smoke to escape the tunnels. There are a number of these all around central london (the most 'famous' of these being at Leinster Gardens, cleverly disguised as 2 stately homes - http://www.urban75.org/london/leinster.html)

Anyway, some pictures... Its my first go at building anything in N gauge, plus the first time I've had a go at some proper ballasting so go easy! :)

Cheers,

Jimmy

jamwrx

Postby jamwrx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:33 pm

coming on well :)

mika

Postby mika » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Hello Jimmy,

looks really nice. The four-rail Underground-track is superb. Do you intend to run LU services? And if you do, are you going to scratch-build the trains?

Will be watching this one.

Cheers,
Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Nice work on the cutting, and I like the cables running along the walls.
A great little detail of a piece of unusual history.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”