Michael's N Gauge Layout - Work in Progress Nov 2008

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GBev

Re: Michael's N Gauge Layout

Postby GBev » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 pm

*butts in*

I still prefer the one I sent you. -_-

The one you've shamelessly ripped off, you big sham.

Although I must admit I like how you've managed to fit both an engine shed and carriage sidings in.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:59 am

Pfft. Mine is better.

Mum says she'll help me rejig my bedroom, so I put the layout on the other wall, and get the extra space. So now I have 12ft by 2ft total. So I'm going to convert that plan to Streamline track, or Finescale, and see how it works.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:04 pm

So here's what I've come with to make use of the extra space available for me.

Large picture with more detail.

As you can, it's going to be fairly complicated. It's consists mainly of a 12 platform mainline terminus, based in the Northwest... Piccadilly Street? :P

At the bottom, though, we've got a large preservation society presence. I didn't want to be restricted to one era, so this lets me run any engines I fancy. The turntable, track and engine/carriage sheds are owned by a local millionaire, and they frequently run one off mainline journeys, hence the link to platform 12 which has retained the original run around for steam engines. The use of this platform is leased by National Rail to the Society. The preservation society also doubles up as the largest private locomotive museum in the Northwest, and they continually purchasing new locomotives and restoration projects (when my wallet will allow it!).

I looked closely at the big stations in the UK to decide on the junction before the station, particularly Kings Cross, which is of a similar size in terms of platform numbers, which features a scissors crossover, so there's my reason for splashing out on the Peco one!

The entire layout is going to be Peco Code 55 Finescale, which should be fun. The tracks leading from the station will pass under a dual carriage way bridge into a cutting that winds its way through and under the city before returning to a 4 track mainline and joining the WCML.

Two two lower tracks coming through the bridge are local lines and lead to the smaller platforms in the east part of the station, so expect lots of D/EMUs and Pacer cars here. The local lines is also sometimes used by the Preservation society for shorter tours.

I haven't decided yet, but I think the layout will be based in either the late 90s, or modern day. Hopefully Dapol or Grafar will bring out a Pendolino soon... :twisted:

So that's my final and latest plan for my layout. Me and my mum are going to have a shuffle around in my room on Monday to free up the wall that this will be going on, and if all goes well, I'll be building the baseboards when I get paid next week. Obviously I won't be buying all the track at once... (Don't want to give my debit card a heart attack!), so I'll have to devise some kind of sectional system to help me decide where to start.

Any thoughts guys?

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Just read this thread from the start - feel like I need a good sit down and a cuppa now!! Talk about change your mind more often than your underpants :lol:

Still, that's what it's all about I suppose - trying different ideas to get something you're happy with :wink:

Looks good that, not quite sure you're gonna have space for all those tracks AND platforms between in just two feet width, even in N? As for the scissors crossing they crop up more than you think in real life. There'll be two on mine but unfortunately they'll be hidden in the fiddle yard :lol:

Paul

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Heh, yeah. Well, when I first made this thread I was sharing my bedroom with my brother! :shock:

Now, it's all mine, and I've realised how much space I've got for a layout. So hopefully I won't be changing my mind once I've got the baseboard built and in place!

Well, if XtrkCAD is anywhere near accurate, which it should, being a CAD based program, I've left around 2" for each double platform, which is equates to about 25 feet in N/real life terms! I think that's plenty for a double platform. I was going to go for a 3ft wide baseboard, but I think that would be too far to stretch across once it's in place. I'm almost 6ft 1", so 2 and a half foot shouldn't be too much of a reach for me. We'll see though.

I can't wait to actually get the first length of track down, been planning a layout for so long. When did I start this thread? Almost 2 years in the planning. :P

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:35 pm

18 months in the planning for me so you're not on your own :wink:

Paul

GBev

Postby GBev » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:17 pm

I know I've already told you on MSN, but this is what I'd do regarding the 6 running lines.

Have the bottom one as a single-track preserved branch, like the KWVR. Signalled for bi-directional running. It's got access to 6 platforms, though, which might be a bit incongruous for a minor branchline...
Have the top one as a single-track branch too, as then it doesn't matter so much that the top platforms can't be reached from the main lines.
Have the inner 4 as two twin-track main lines. The upper pair has access to 6 platforms, and the lower pair to 4.

I'd also extend that spur off the run-around loop.

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 am

thats a lovely layout, that would be an awesome station to have alot of fun with :)
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Right, some progress finally, after two years! :o

I've built my baseboards, more or less.

10ft x 2ft total. Exactly 1m 12mm high, waist height for me. I'm going to add more bracing here and there, especially on the legs, but they're basically done.

I'll be mounting the controllers (or sockets if I go DCC) on a plywood facia fixed to the legs.

So here's my most up to date plan... no doubt it'll change by next month when I get to buying the track. Fiddle yard on the left, using cartridges.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”