Michael's N Gauge Layout - Work in Progress Nov 2008

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 pm

Nice plans you have there, I think the first one is good cause you can have different trains from the mainline station going to different destinations.

Danny.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Update!

I've decided to go with the fiddle yard... with a twist.

To make my layout more.. purposeful, so that I can run schedules et al, with a bit of imagination of course, I've turned the fiddle yard into TWO fiddleyards, which we'll pretend are stations.

Like so:

http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/8977 ... t3buo8.jpg

This way, I can run a passenger service from Station A to Station B to Station C, without A and C actually having to be modelled.

It also means I can use longer/more trains because I don't need two curves per yard.

Probably need to tinker with the lengths of those tracks... try and get a better shape for both to allow for longer tracks.

Thoughts?

Raider

Postby Raider » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Well, the 'imaginary' destination was what the fiddle yard was design for really.

Keep tweaking the plan, and be prepared to tweak it some more once you start putting the track down on the baseboard and running trains.

Keep up the good work

One other thought would be that if you are running Steam then you need a run-around on station's A & C as steam locos didn't push the train

Chris

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Yeah, I thought about that. I've heard that DCC doesn't work well with N gauge Steam locos, and I've always preferred diesel too. Either way, I can put a loop, or even a basic turntable in.

This just means I can have larger fiddle yards instead of two curves on the end of one. I think a loop down the middle of both yards could be useful as well, if I feel like running a train round and round and round, rather than stopping and starting.

Thanks for the input.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 pm

Think I've sorted out the fiddle yard now. Added a loop for when I want to sit and watch trains.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7623 ... t3cfy6.jpg

Also, in the twin corners, are those far enough apart? I guess in reality, I'll be able to use the Peco 6ft gauge to make sure they are far enough apart.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Looks good. Maybe bring the backscene further to the left, so there's more space for scenery?

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36 am

Curves: Is it OK to use curves of say... 10.608in rather than sticking to either 9in or 12in?

Also, is it easy to make ones own crossing? Rather than buying a set piece of track crossing, from Peco?

Thanks

Also, ballasting track... Any pointers? Is underlay (Peco or Gaugemaster/Noch) good? Or is it better to use scatter ballast, and the glue thing? Do I still need to pin track if I use scatter?

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:56 am

Hi

If your using flexi track any curve is ok, just so long as your locos will go round them, best to stick to R2+.

Your probbably better off buying a crossing, they would be a pain in the neck to build yourself, and probably not as good as an off the shelf PECO one (unless your an experienced track builder).

As for ballasting, I prefer NOCH, and Woodland Scenics N-scale (use N-scale for both HO/OO and N Gauge.

As for track pins have a look at my site, theres and alternative technique that I was recommended and use, it works well for me, using removeable small screws and the ballast to hold the track down:

http://www.petesproject.co.uk/layout/construction01.html

maybe see also for some further track fixing and ballasting tips:

http://www.petesproject.co.uk/layout/french/scenery/scenery01.html

Hope this helps

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Is R2 12 inch? My newest plan is all 12inch+ curves in the scenery section. Behind the backscene, I'm using curves down to 9 inch. I guess that's OK.

No, I didn't mean making a crossing with it's own rails. In my plan, you can see the crossings, they are both over curves. What I meant was to perhaps make some card pieces to go on either side, and inbetween the track, and make a crossing that way.

Noch and Woodland Scenics scatter ballast? I guess it'll take a little longer than using underlay, but I think the effect is better with scatter.

Thanks.

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi

I can't rememer the rad on R2, I was being lazy and hoping you'd know :oops:

I should have looked at your plan first too. You can easily make crossings using plastic card or card. If you want to see some great home made card buildings etc take a look at grippets layout (the new and the old one) endless good ideas, and if your on a budget a lot cheaper than bespoke kits.

Any chance we could go metric, I'm ok with inches etc, but nothing beats a good mm.

Yes scatter ballast, I'm not one for underlays, but many people seem happy to use them.
I guess my style of layout is more drawn from continental techniques, there seems to be a very 'British' style of construction that is a little set in it's ways (probably due to the endless generic techniques prospered by the voice of PECO through Railway Modeller magazine), so don't get too constrained, experiment and read widely, the net is the best source of info, join a club if your lonely, but be prepared to be lambasted with opinions. Clubs suck! It sounds like a living nightmare to be surrounded by a crowd of blokes playing with trains 8) Do your own thing, then you answer to no-one and take pleasure in your own endevours.

Pete
PS I don't expect anyone to agree with me :wink:
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Pete wrote:Pete

I'd agree with you.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:14 pm

With the advice Pete has given, and the realisation on my part that building a model railway properly takes alot of time, and can't be done just like that, I've decided to put the main layout on hold until every detail is worked out and I'm happy with the plan.

So, I'm going to make a diorama like Pete has on his website as it's been a while since I've touched anything to do with modelling. This way, I can practice ballasting, using scatter, etc, without possibly messing up my real layout.

So, I've ordered a few things from Gaugemaster:

Farish N gauge 46t Mineral Wagon.

Some flock and ballast by Gaugemaster.

I also bought a Peco Setrack double straight, Peco track fixing pins, Peco 6ft Way Gauge, and a Gaugemaster track rubber. All for £18.65. :)

I'm going to nip to HobbyCraft to get some acrylic paints, and some other bits that'll come in handy.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on my plan a bit more, and do more research and reading. Hold your breath for threads in every section asking questions. :o

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Pete wrote: experiment and read widely, the net is the best source of info, join a club if your lonely, but be prepared to be lambasted with opinions. Clubs suck! It sounds like a living nightmare to be surrounded by a crowd of blokes playing with trains 8) Do your own thing, then you answer to no-one and take pleasure in your own endevours.

With Pete 100% there, it’s your layout Michael do what you want :)

Remember it’s only a hobby

Lofty

PS (sorry Michael) just had another wander around your site Pete - Stunning 8)

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:41 pm

No prob, Pete's layout is worthy of being posted in every thread. Amazing scenery if I do say so myself. That Fleischmann rolling stocks costs a pretty penny though.

I've spent most of the day since my previous post restructuring my layout.

I think I've made it much better, with a longer station, a more organised fiddle yard WITH TURNTABLE, wider curves and overall, a more pleasant looking layout.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2558 ... aftwo0.jpg

I may add another sidings down in the left corner, and perhaps one on the innermost station track for storage. Could turn those industrial sidings into a small locomotive depot actually (Are they called TMDs? :? ). Oooo, so many ideas.

Or maybe flip the station and have the double tracks on the inside, allowing more room for the main station building into the town.

Raider

Postby Raider » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Nice changes to the plan. Just wondering what you are planning for the area in front of the backscene - there seems to be a lot of space.

Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”