Michael's N Gauge Layout - Work in Progress Nov 2008

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:21 pm

I'll throw in some advice.

N or OO? N lets you have more however OO is a lot easier to handle. If you're new, then OO may be a lot more user friendly.

DC or DCC? DCC is a lot more expensive, it may be best to stick with DC rather than spend a lot on equipment you may not use too often. Also your layout will be quite small so upgrading later to DCC won't be too troublesome.

Track....don't use Hornby, Peco is far better.

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:23 pm

Westleigh wrote:If you are thinking about N guage I'd recommend going to a local exhibition and having a good look.

I'll second that, it's not very easy to get a 'feel' of the size of a gauge with photos or measurements off the internet. It's a very good idea to go have a look maybe ask if you can pick up some of the stock feel how big it is in you hands; see if it's the kind of thing you would be happy to work with.

Danny.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just did a little search...

http://www.merseysidemrs.co.uk/events.htm

Just my ticket. I'll have to see that it doesn't interfere with our break in Wales though.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:52 pm

I'll third it then - I was gonna do HO until I saw the size of N at the local club. It didn't seem that small, so I made the move from 1:24 to 1:160 :shock:

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:51 am

Hurrah, Gaugemaster have cancelled my duplicate order.

Hurrah again, my step grandad ( :? ) is going to make me a baseboard on Wednesday. We just have to get the materials for him. He's good with woodwork, and I'm not so good, so it makes sense.

My mum said that I start getting stuff after that. :D

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Yes, a baseboard is the starting point

When you attend the exhibition spend about 30 minutes at each layout
This will give you time to apprecaite the volume of stock and how the operators actually work their layout
Do NOT be frightened about asking them questions
If you do want to ask a question, ask firstly who built the layout or whose the stock is
There is no point asking the question, only to find that person doesn't know and having to repeat your question to the right person!
Some operators may let you inspect their layout in closer detail, for the underframe, electrics, and so on, but some may not and do NOT be offended if they decline (but I've only had that happen once!)

Nettlefield in N gauge certainly looks worth a look
Personally, I think they have wasted a lot of space

Broxton in OO gauge is another
Ironically, my own layout in N gauge is very close to this!
My station plan is almost identical
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Hmm, I'm trying to make a trackplan in XtrkCAD but...

Well, with Peco track, can I use Setrack with Streamline? Is Setrack Code 80?

Also, are electrofrogs necassery for DCC? There doesn't seem to be much choice. The points are massive compared to the setrack ones... and I don't really want to use flexible track.

:oops:

I've a maximum space of 5" x 3". That's my definite limit now. So I've got all tomorrow to come up with a plan.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:01 pm

Yes SETRACK and Streamline are both CODE 80 compatable
No, electrofrog are not necessary for DCC, but it makes wiring and slow speed running more reliable
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:05 pm

For DCC...

Which one is better? The Digitrax Zephyr or the Lenz Compact? Or any cheapo set?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 pm

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5262 ... aftwa1.gif (Bit too big to post)

What do you think? I know I said that I wanted lots of sidings, but I've decided otherwise, because I don't think I can afford all those wagons.

With this layout, and the eventual branchline station (All this soon adds up in cost, so I'm going to have to do it bit by bit), I can run relatively long trains. I might have to go the whole hog and build the branchline straight away for carriage/wagon storage though.

Not very good at this. I can host the trackplan xtc file if anyone wants to help me out with this. It took me 3 hours to make just that plan. :(

P.S. Why are the curves in pink? :?

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Is that OO? If so I'm not sure that it is viable.

I've just started mucking about with xtrkcad and assumed the pink track was for tighter curves.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:11 pm

N gauge. It wouldn't remotely fit if I set XtrkCAD to OO.

Whatnothomas

Postby Whatnothomas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Nice plan and a decent size for N gauge, with plenty of room for future sidings and another station.

Looking forward to seeing it progress

Andrew

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:44 pm

http://www.railssheffield.co.uk/product ... ockID=6175

£180 there, but £225 from Gaugemaster themselves... Is that price going to go up when they actually get them in? It's only 20 more than the Lenz compact from Hattons, but it'll no doubt be better in the long run, what with it being a full DCC system rather than a starter one like the Lenz compact.

Thoughts?

Or, now that I've got a trackplan, thoughts on whether it's actually necassery to get DCC? I just don't really understand isolating sections and what have you that you need with DC. I think that's more complicated.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:09 pm

Bit more progress...

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3425 ... ft2fy0.jpg

As you can see, I think this is much better then the other one. I don't know what to have on the left there... A fiddle yard would be good, so that I make it look as passenger trains come from the mainline, pass through, and return to the mainline. Then I can perhaps have a factory or coal yard near those sidings, and a train can take the goods away... to another town/city/factory. Or I can have countryside for the trains to run through. I'm leaning towards the fiddle yard at the moment.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”