Nathan's Shelf in 'N'

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Nathan20138

Nathan's Shelf in 'N'

Postby Nathan20138 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

Righto. After the disaster that was my last layout, much lessons learnt, I've decided to keep things simple this time and focus on an end to end layout with a view to using it as a project to learn new skills and techniques.

It shall be a TMD running onto a single mainline towards a fiddle yard and shall be mainly home to modern day stock with class 66's ruling the roost along with the odd preserved loco dropping by every now and then for repair.

The layout will be DC.

So far this is where I'm at.

Looking towards the fiddle yard end,
...and the other way toward the depot end.
and here is the fiddle yard track plan.

That's all for now. Although I'm trying to think of a name for the depot and want it to have some kind of reference to Sheffield somehow. It'll be entirely fictitious of course, so won't need to be accurate in any way.
Tinsley is a bit obvious so maybe somewhere else, but plenty of time for that later.

As ever comments and critisism welcome.

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33379

413x

Re: Nathan's Shelf in 'N'

Postby 413x » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:41 pm

hi nathan that looks very good i give you good luck. what sort of plans do you have by the means of buildings and stock as it may help with a name but i already have some.

lafarge tmd
Sheppard tmd
etc

alex

MrT

Postby MrT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Sheffield eh?

How about Brightside, Atlas, Darnall, Woodhouse, Millhouses? They are all areas which are near the current railways.

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi thanks for the input. Buildings wise only industrial types will be used, which will have a bearing on the name. I grew up around Wadsley Bridge so initially I considered that area but Brightside has possibilities too. I work at Attercliffe which isn't that far away and I'm pretty sure there used to be an old engine shed in that area back in the day.

Got a bit more done yesterday. Got track plan sorted and cork laid down. Photos soon.

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Well got a track plan sorted out for the depot. Wanted to keep it simple but with enough operational interest, so, after about an hour of pratting about I had this...

Then after a rethink came up with this...

Laid the cork...

Then I started to ponder how to switch the points. FRATTON mentioned the 'wire in tube' method on another thread and that got me thinking.
I priced it all up and it seemed a tad expensive for what it is, so, I decided to construct my own using tube from Marcways in Sheffield and some 1/16" brazing rod obtained from work. Its a bit crude but it does the job.

Thats all for now,

Nathan.

Brightside Lane TMD

413x

Postby 413x » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:21 am

good stuff Nathan I like your thinking

Then after a rethink came up with this...

I have a question about this image (if it is the overview one) wouldn't the track on our right-hand side going down the edge of the board go past the shed instead of stopping abruptly.

thanks alex

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Alex. Yes idealy it would however the dimensions of the depot building would not permit. I kinda like it though. That area will be the refuling point.

Brightside Lane TMD

413x

Postby 413x » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 am

oh OK Nathan that should be good. I have been wondering if you have chosen a name yet because the one and only (me) is rather good at it :D . so if you need some help then I am here. As well as this what locomotives do you have and your stock as I am a bit eager to know what you shall be running, it also helps with a name.

thanks

Alex

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Alex. The main locos will be class 66's and other modern stuff depending on as and when I can add to the fleet. One or two preserved locos shall drop by occasionally for a tinker. A 33 and a 20 mainly. I'll post up some more photos shortly when the wifes done with the laptop.

Nathan.

Brightside Lane TMD

Nathan20138

Brightside Lane TMD

Postby Nathan20138 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Update! Photo's! Name!

Yesterday I finished off laying all the track and installed all the point wire in tube mechanisms and added some scenic backdrops, need more though, and gave 66111 the honour of taking the first test run.

ImageImage

also made the most pointless video ever produced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyS_VoWap-4

I've decided that the name for my layout shall be, Brightside Lane T.M.D.
I think its got a nice ring to it and could also be believable, in a certain way.
Thanks for looking,

Nathan.
Last edited by Nathan20138 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brightside Lane TMD

413x

Postby 413x » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Bright side lane tmd it is then. Did you happen to be listening to the killer as they have made a song called Mr Bright side.

I really do like your back scenes where did you get them from

thanks
alex

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Alex, I got the back scenes from a local model shop but they are readily availiable from most model shops or the internet.
They are made by Gaugemaster.

http://pufferwillies.co.uk/uk2ecommerce ... ugemaster/

Nathan.

Brightside Lane TMD

413x

Postby 413x » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 am

ok thanks ill look into them

alex

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm

I do like the Gaugemaster backscene, I think I will be following this one!
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:28 pm

They do add a lot of depth to even the most simple layouts.

Not much constructive progress but I've had a 'play' and took some photo's.

Got a new loco, yes I know another 66 (getting a bit obsessed now) but sadly it's all boxed up awaiting to be sent back to Hattons due to one of the cab ladders breaking off and the loco running like a dog. Sounds awful, with a loud knocking sound.

Also got these and made a base for them so I can stand them up easier.

Some maintainence work being undertaken on 66701, sporting recently applied nameplates.

Thanks for looking.

Nathan.

Brightside Lane TMD

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”