Wolford - Rebuild

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Re: Wolford - Rebuild

Postby Lofty » Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Rammy wrote:YWhat did you use for the barbed wire at the top?

I have used metallic silver cotton in the past

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm

My plan was to use some silver cotton but while i was looking around i found the wire and was not too expensive. I probably should have used a smaller thickness wire but as its at the back of my layout it looks in proportion.

Managed to put some plain backscenes around the dock today and make a start on the canal running in the other corner , as i have been able to use my already assembled structures of my old layout and just redo small parts it is a little quicker than before getting some scenics down. Lots of glue drying at the moment hopefully i can get some more pictures of progress up soon.

Kev

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm

As promised some pictures of work in progress ......

Kev

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Spent the last couple of days building my latest addition for the dock area , the modern industrial building from scalescenes. Very close to completion just the roof and some minor detailing so here it is so far ........

the detailing of these kits just gets better and better .....

Kev

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

New building now in situ.....

Realy need to landscape the canal banks next .......

Kev

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon May 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Nice job Kev, that building looks massive.
All Aboooooard !!

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon May 14, 2012 6:33 pm

The industrial unit looks great Kev. I keep thinking of buying it but really don't have anywhere to put it!

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks guys , yes it is quite big but a real joy to build .

Dave that's one of the reasons i restarted this layout , i had more idea's i wanted to explore and needed more room to put everything.

Kev

scribe

Postby scribe » Tue May 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Kev

I am very impressed by the Industrial building and especially the overhead crane !! Having worked many many years in Freight Forwarding / Shipping / Export Packing I have spent a lot of time inside similar warehouses/freight depots and can vouch for the realism with only 2 exceptions -(1) it's too clean and (2) It's empty :-) Seriously though you done a fantastic job. The only thing I could suggest and that's all it is and definitely not a criticism is to attach to the crane a yellow or black electrical wire with a small block at the bottom to act as the crane control.

I have planning to have an export packing warehouse on my layout and have been looking at a complete scratchbuild until now until I saw this, maybe with 2 overhead cranes.
although I may have to age the building around the 1960's

PS Like the DB Schenkers naming as they are a large global freight forwarder and do run railfreight services.

Kev
Face by God & Rugby. God put the good bits in and playing Rugby moved them around and made them 'interesting.'

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:35 am

Cheers for the input Kev , i agree it is too clean as are all of my builds , not had a go at weathering yet !! maybe i should. And yes way too empty . I like the idea of the crane control , something i will look at adding along with maybe some roof lighting later on .

I cant take the credit for the naming as it is included as part of the kit although i did check out the supplied names to see what companies they actually were and thats why i picked the DB Schenkers name.

I have also made an ultra low relief front to add next to this build but not sure it looks right next to it , maybe because the backdrop is plain sky.

Kev

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Well guys managed to do a little more to the dock area in between building my next model which is yet to be completed , so here's a few pictures of progress so far ....

Kev.

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:19 am

Been a few weeks since my last update , been quite busy finishing my latest model and re-doing my control panel. Mypanel was a little too small for my needs so remade one but need some advice on how to mark the tracks.

Firstly some updates on the dock area

The scalescenes crane gantry ....

few more pics , trying to show the whole dock area ...

now my new control panel

so now looking for some ideas how to show the track on the control panel , should i paint it or what . All idea's welcome , need some inspiration please

Kev

james2k

Postby james2k » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Pin striping tape from halfords?

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm

You've made a good job of the Scalescenes crane Kev. I started one ages ago but have never got round to finishing it.
I wish I could think of a way of motorising it! lol

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Layout is really taking shape Kev, can you get a photo of the whole layout just when you are next doing updates :)
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”