Harry Potter Themed HO/OO Modules in Maryland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
cgraham

Re: HP-themed HO/OO modules in Maryland

Postby cgraham » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am

Thank you!
I am constrained by national standards for club modules - please see http://www.nmra.org/standards/modules/ms_intro.html

Also, the lake is made from a pair of corner modules and together represent 40 square feet of surface that I have to be able to take down, put up, load and unload into a trailer, transport and store all by my own aged self. I made the lake modules to be very flat and plain (with the mountain removed) so as to be as durable and as easy to handle as possible. Within the NMRA standards, I decided to make the Hogwarts modules to be very austere and undecorated at their edges with the focus of the modules being the mountain and castle. I thought it would help draw and hold the eye of the viewer. When standing in front of it, especially for viewers for whom its 40-inch-to-top-of-rail height is also close to eye height, it works. Kids respond very well to it and as expected, the first 6-8 inches at the front of the modules constantly have little fingers all over them. I could put up some kind of barrier, but I want it to feel welcoming to kids and I wouldn't want to ruin the feel of nothing between the viewer and the mountain and castle. It is easy to imagine oneself in a boat on one's way to the first year of school when standing there with one's chin just above the level of the lake.

-Clay

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:00 am

i agree with what u say but for a propper modeler the railway needs a bridge over lake to make lake look bigger or carry on off bard as how it is now makes u think lake ends ethern if u just highten the rail by 1/2 cm have top of a bridge and show lake underneeth it gives u the effect it carrys on but all in all i love it amazing keep it up how bout modeling a kings cross station( st pancrass extera) with ether plat 9 1/3 fully or some how add it so it looks magical then wood finish off the layout
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:57 am

matty198891 wrote:i agree with what u say but for a propper modeler the railway needs a bridge over lake to make lake look bigger or carry on off bard as how it is now makes u think lake ends ethern if u just highten the rail by 1/2 cm have top of a bridge and show lake underneeth it gives u the effect it carrys on but all in all i love it amazing keep it up how bout modeling a kings cross station( st pancrass extera) with ether plat 9 1/3 fully or some how add it so it looks magical then wood finish off the layout

Being picky again here, half a cm will not increase it enough, then if he raises the rail it means there will be a bank leading up to this "bridge" therefore causing other problems.

Love the child-shot of the castle CGraham. Looks really imposing.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:09 am

Matty, look at your keyboard. There is a button that has a little dot on it, which looks like this: .
Please use it. It's quite difficult for some of us to read your posts without it. :-)

matty198891 wrote:...but for a propper modeler...

So you're saying he's not a proper modeller now? :-P

As for your opinion of what "should" be done to improve this module, it makes a bit of sense but it doesn't seem really practical. Adding a bridge of any sort would take focus away from the castle. It would also mean making the module again from scratch, as the board would need to be lowered (by much more than 1/2 cm, by the way) and embankments etc made.

What cgraham has done here is amazing. The focus is on the castle, which is an excellent piece of modelling. Yeah, the track goes across the water, but so what? That's not the point. To make a module like this AND have a railway on it, you need to make compromises.

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Sorry if missed it and already said earlier but how are the trains controlled. Are they potentially DCC or box controlled so multiple trains can run on the same loop (due to its size)?

Can we also have a couple of pictures of other modules, see what competition you are up against ;-)

Does anyone on this side of the pond know of OO modules on the show curcuit or clubs, of this sort of size? I've only seen n gauge and that was on 4' x 2' boards again with twin tracks at front.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

cgraham

Postby cgraham » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm

NEvans wrote:Sorry if missed it and already said earlier but how are the trains controlled. Are they potentially DCC or box controlled so multiple trains can run on the same loop (due to its size)?

Our club uses both DCC and DC. When running DC, we divide up sections of the railway into isolated blocks and individually control each block. That allows us to run about as many trains on the inner and outer loop as we have blocks. When running DC, we identify isolation points with lettered flags. Note the "C" to the left of Hogwarts:

For a sampling of my club member's modules, see:
http://www.marrsweb.org/homdlist.html
and
http://www.marrsweb.org/nmodlist.html

For a listing of clubs in the UK and links to them, see:
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/clubs.shtml

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Very impressed, some lovely modules on show there.

On the UK side I actually mention groups or clubs that use modules, suprisingly don't see many around. Seen an N gauge one at shows which was excellent, amazing how much people could get on a bit of 4' x 2' when they try. For OO makes a lot of sense due to the size required for a good personal and/or show layout.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:03 pm

make the part going over the water say just above and turn into a bridge willl look much better
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

cgraham

Re: Harry Potter Themed HO/OO Modules in Maryland

Postby cgraham » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

I have given it a lot of thought. The standards I am constrained by for module construction will not allow me to raise the mainlines to bridge height as grades are not permitted, and I have decided not to drain the lake as it spills over into adjacent modules, and that would violate wetlands management codes. I suppose the water level must remain where it is in relation to the rail.
Last edited by cgraham on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:02 pm

This is the first time I've come across this thread and immediately I called to my partner, (who isn't in to model railways,) to come take a look. She loves it, I love it and as for the track passing over the lake, how many of us use modellers licence? A bridge I think would detract from the module too much and to keep it in theme, the viaduct would look totally out of place there.

cgraham

Postby cgraham » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you, NickBrad for your kind comments.
My kids love these modules and since that was my primary reason for building them, I'm very pleased.

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 pm

How could I have missed this! Amazing layout, so detailed and I thought that the castle was the real film set!
May I ask some questions.
What are the other parts of the whole layout?
And is it a competition if you have guidelines?
Cheers Seb
:D

cgraham

Postby cgraham » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks Seb!

I belong to the Meade Area RailRoad Society (MARRS) operating in the vicinity of Fort George G. Meade in Maryland, USA. http://www.marrsweb.org MARRS is a modular model railway club and our module standards are available at our website. The layout is made up of some of the modules constructed by club members. Each member builds his own modules – the Harry Potter themed modules are all mine. This show was at a railroad museum in Pennsylvania and we were the only club exhibiting. The modules seen represent about a third of the layout size we often put together in large model railroading shows in the US MidAtlantic region.

cgraham

Postby cgraham » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:04 pm

We will be exhibiting December 3-4, 2011 at the Greenberg's Shows' 35th Anniversary Show at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium, Maryland.

http://www.greenbergshows.com/shows/201 ... 12-03.html

cgraham

Postby cgraham » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:28 pm

I purchased and watched the final Harry Potter movie on DVD when it was released in the U.S. this past Friday - I was inspired to snap a new shot of the layout after running Hogwarts Express around Hogwarts and through the Station:

Here's a shot of the Goathland Station location prototype:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”