Shawbury BR 1988-91ish in N guage

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ASFC

Re: Shawbury BR 1988-91ish in N guage

Postby ASFC » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:23 pm

That first video Mark showed up some really neat platform detailing under your canopies! I take it all the departure screens are scratchbuilt? And isn't that 03 a nice little runner, I haven't seen one in action before.

Mat :)
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

tractor37 wrote:How do pal... I wouldn't worry too much about not getting enough done, you seem to be getting on more than many including me! Top drawer work though Mark.. Keep it up, enjoyed the videos to... Nice to see some stock running.
Jas... :D

Thanks Jas :)

just a shame the video's are shakey, but its a sony erricson experia phone & its akward to hold steady whilst filming

ASFC wrote:That first video Mark showed up some really neat platform detailing under your canopies! I take it all the departure screens are scratchbuilt? And isn't that 03 a nice little runner, I haven't seen one in action before.

Mat :)

Cheers Mat :)

Apart from the platforms themselves which are the Metcalf kits, the rest of the station is scratch built. The screens are made from plasticard. Very fiddly to do, but worth it once they're put in place. Are you putting screens on your Platforms?
The 03 isn't a bad runner, though it does waddle & can stall on the points at times if at the slowest speed, but a great little model. I did want a Class 08, but they're discontinued in BR blue :(

All the best,
Mark
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Nice videos Mark, not easy making a video and trying to run the trains at the same time. :)
All Aboooooard !!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 pm

just a shame the video's are shakey, but its a sony erricson experia phone & its akward to hold steady whilst filming

I know what you mean about the phone. My beloved has one of those, the x10. I find the camera horrendous on it full stop! No flash as such, hard to get a stable image then we get to the video cam as you have.. Not for me lol.. But then I have spoilt myself by consistantly getting the best camera phone I can have! That is my only prerequisite for a phone! 12mp or nowt lol.....
Get a little bean bag and sit the phone on that pal, should help the stability issue... Still nice to see your trains running though..

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm

tractor37 wrote:

I know what you mean about the phone. My beloved has one of those, the x10. I find the camera horrendous on it full stop! No flash as such, hard to get a stable image then we get to the video cam as you have.. Not for me lol.. But then I have spoilt myself by consistantly getting the best camera phone I can have! That is my only prerequisite for a phone! 12mp or nowt lol.....
Get a little bean bag and sit the phone on that pal, should help the stability issue... Still nice to see your trains running though..

Thanks for that Jas :P

Well guys, it's come to the time i have to say once again, the layout in its current form is going to be completley dismantled & rebuilt. What I havn't said on here is how problematic it is to operate at times. I'm not DCC, but i've always had roundy roundy layouts in the past that have been easy to operate. The problems i've had on this is constant derailments, particularly on the bends at the bottom of the incline. The fiddle yard has been testing, as if something derails, it's a nightmare to get underneath the upper level to get at the derailed coach/wagon/dmu. All things I should have thought about during construction, but i guess you learn from your mistakes :oops: . The use of 1st radius curves & set track points hasn't helped either, though it was all I could do with space restraints.
I now have a new plan in mind & am going to have a complete new 6' X 2' 1" baseboard cut & going to start again, I think it will be worth it & more satisfying than stressfull to operate. This time, the track work will be mainly flat with no incline, minimum of 2nd radius curves on the viewing section & medium points, & Shawbury station will be a through station, will be nice to see the trains running into & out the other end.
To those of you that have followed my thread, thankyou for all the great comments & feedback, & keep a look out for a new thread in the near future of my next more simple layout :D

All the best,
Mark.

Cheers,
Mark

mika

Postby mika » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Mark,

that comes as a shock :shock: . I always loved your inspirational updates. Someday I'm going to build a terminus myself (if I have the time, space and money for that).
Sorry to hear that operation is not as you'd like it to be. I can understand, however, that it probably isn't as much fun as it looks with the operational issues you mention.

I wish you all the best for your new layout and am already looking forward to your new layout.

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I had always wondered how you had overcome the issues with an "underground" fiddle yard (I've been scratching my head trying to figure out a way myself). Evidently you hadn't. :-(
Still, I'm sure your next venture will be more than equally impressive!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Mark... Shame to hear about your running problems (sounds familiar to me though!) and that you're ripping it all up. But as I've learnt in the not disatant past that its sometimes for the best, especially if you're just plain unhappy with it.
No doubt the new version will be substantially better though looking at your attention to detail. After all, your excellent modelling skills deserve the running qualities to go with it.
I shall look forward to seeing the pheonix arise from the ashes. Not that I'm suggesting you set fire to your house naturally!!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Such a shame that this great layout is being dismantled, but as you've learned a lot from its development that's something you can put into the replacement to make it even better! Look forward to seeing Shawbury mk2 take shape and hope the operational side is a lot better.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Shall look forward to the new version of Shawbury Mark, I am sure it will be brilliant and full of detail.
All Aboooooard !!

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Last edited by 1977joey on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Mark

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks for the kind comments Chaps :D

The current layout could be fun to operate, but more often than not there was issues with it, the whole design really was me trying to fit a very large station & approaches into room I really hadn't got, so the design was to condense this, but it's backfired, especially the tight curves at the bottom of the incline & the fiddle yard, where I could only use 3 sidings in the end, because the rest i couldn't get at if there was a derailment.

The new layout will free up some much needed space in the bedroom its housed in too, which itself is only 9' x 12'. The new board should still be long enough to accomodate my longest train, my 6 coach x 2 power cars HST, & hopefully the hidden sidings at the rear will be way more user friendly :) It will be great to see my 156's especially run round with ease & not wait for the dreaded noise of the wheels running on the sleepers :|
It shouldn't be too long before I start a new thread, in the meantime, I need to dismantle the current set up & try & save a lot of the features which i'll use on the new layout, as well as saving most of the track.

Thanks again for all the great comments & encouragment :D

All the best,
Mark[/quote]

Cheers,
Mark

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”