My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bocaj

Re: My first layout

Postby bocaj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi,
I thought I'd just comment saying how good your track plan looks, I'm sure you'll have fun building it and running trains on it!

Jacob :D

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:53 pm

i have now completed all the baseboards needed for my layout and started to size some track up but the bulk of that wont begin until after christmas. Ive re jigged the layout again and below is what ive come up with in SCARM. Not sure if their will be room for the turntable we shall see, Two main lines will run the perimeter of the layout with the station on a raised platform at the back as you can see, a similar incline will bring the main line back to original baseboard level but not until it has navigated a bridge/viaduct which runs above the fiddle yard on the left hand side. The great thing about this layout is because I am not following any real life plans I can make things up as I go along and im really enjoying it. Any ideas, suggestions or layout adjustments are more than welcome especially if you can find me some room for the turntable. You can count out the vacant space on the left hand side as that is spoken for.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:05 pm

What do u guys think ?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Well Mike, you have 2 main lines but only one platform. If you intend to run the main lines as conventional up and down lines, then trains running on the inner circuit (presumably going anti-clockwise) can only access the platform by crossing over to the outer main line at the left end of the station and reversing into the plaform (or reversing at the right end of the station and then drawing forward into the platform).

Having stopped in the platform the procedure needs to be reversed (unless you run "wrong line" to the crossover at the bottom) - in any event you will have to cease operations on the outer main line until the train has got back to its inner circuit.

Reversing the crossovers along the platform would save the shunting manouvres although you would still need to hold an outer circuit train at the left of the station whilst the inner circuit train used the platform.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm also curious as to whether those sidings opposite the existing platform are necessary, what with the engine facilities located in the centre.
Great looking concrete sleepered track you have, just a shame I couldn't part with more of it as it looks like you need it lol.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm

It's very much work in progress so I'd welcome any suggestions, I do need alot more track and will also be adding another station

kinning

Postby kinning » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:08 pm

You have a great working area and planns. I have some thing simila to this on my layout. Have a look "Kinning park" I intend on extending it in the future so that it become operating like yous, from a well.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am

I've a few thoughts on this. As Ex-Pat said you need a 2nd platform on the inner circuit.

1st I'd extend the outer circuit platform into the top right curve (this'll allow you to have more carriages at the station) & an island platform placed opposite - between the inner line & the 1st of the 2 sidings on the top right. The 1st siding (if the radius allows) can then be extended as the platform 3 line.

It may just be foreshortening in the photos. But your incline looks to be very steep. I'd check that your locos can haul the length of trains you plan to run up them.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 am

I've tested the incline and it works fine with my locos however I'm giving serious consideration in scrapping the raised section altogether as its causing problems

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 pm

As you can see my layout has had a bit of a re-design, the dimensions remain the same and the track is very similar but instead of the incline on the left hand side i have made room for a turntable, if anyone has any suggestions on how to better this layout im happy to listen.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (70.79 KiB) Viewed 1741 times

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 am

hi, the only thing I would look at is the space below the turntable, perhaps using the bottom two lines from the turntable to go into a maintenance shed, and a coaling stage, or necessary part of engine keeping as the only way into that area would be from the turntable, this could also become part of the local town-scape, roads, workplace ect, just a thought to add more interesting bits to work with, as I presume your going to want to try all kinds of modeling as it progresses. good luck its looking good.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:05 am

Ok after much messing about and a total demolition of my incline ive finally settled on my final layout plan, it contains two main lines and three stations, the main passenger station at the top and the other two on the right im not sure what their purpose will be yet, it also has a turntable and loco sheds, this will be a late addition though as a turntable will be expensive. two the left you will see the cricket pitch has been relocated and ive added an aerial photo of Snibston Colliery and their own rail network as I plan to recreate as accurately as I can the old Colliery which my grandad work at for 49 years!!! The one thing ive yet to find is a 00 gauge pit head with winding gear, im not sure if im going to have to build this myself or not, could be........... interesting.

As always i welcome any comments and ideas to improve my layout, one thing that is now missing but not forgotten is the fiddle yard, this again is not an imperative part of my layout just yet some im not worrying about it however due to the fact i have a reasonably large loft their is still room for expansion and this will in the form of an additional 3 foot board to the left of the colliery hidden by possibly a tunnel.

Through all the layouts ive designed or had designed for me this is the first one ive actually looked at and thought yes that will work, no doubt their will be adjustments here and their bit i shall not stray too far from this plan.
Attachments
Illustrated Layout.png
Illustrated Layout.png (168.54 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Ive made a start under my layout with the Bus wiring using an idea given to me in another thread by RFS. http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36088
DSCF1110.JPG
DSCF1110.JPG (98.82 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

The layout is a bit of a mess at the moment mainly because ive been tinkering with different ideas and practising my soldering, you might just be able to pick out the beginnings of my main line around the top edge and down the left, this now actually has power and has been tested and is working.
DSCF1108.JPG
DSCF1108.JPG (124.42 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

This is the 3rd of these connections that i have added and the first to actually have a track dropper connected too it and much to my delight it is fully functional :D
DSCF1113.JPG
DSCF1113.JPG (100.07 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

My one and only DCC loco giving the main line and new bus wire a test and it works fine.
DSCF1114.JPG
DSCF1114.JPG (105.2 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:56 pm

For me its a bit of a shame you changed it. I liked the look of the terminal station above the out and back, and fiddle yard. I think if you had included a circuit into that so a triangle at the front, either continue round the loop or back up to the terminal would have made for a very interesting layout.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Afternoon folks

I have been away for a while, got married, had a baby (not personally) so thought it was time to get back into the swing of things. Track plan has changed as I have expanded my working space. See below my new track plan, let me know what you think.

capture2.png
capture2.png (37.87 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”