My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
steve70

Re: My first layout

Postby steve70 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm

From your video it looks like you have a fair size loft (you seem to be standing quite comfortably) but are not using all of it.
Any reason for that?

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 am

There is a common issue in people with first layouts build them with as much track as can fit in. Then later on start pulling most of it back up, and often simplifying it (after lots of changes).

I strongly recommend getting the two main lines down first with points lightly nailed in place where you later expect to use them. Play for a while then over time build it up further as you see best.

Suggestion from me is have a bay platform in the main station. Always good to have a place for trains to run 'to' and 'from'. Depending on era could include something like a goods shed line next to it for some shunting.

Rule One for first layouts - start simple (else chances are you'll never get near to finished).
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 pm

All,

I am back again after another three years out of the game, had another child (a daughter this time) and moved house. Built a rather large shed at the bottom of the garden which has left me plenty of space for a layout.

I am starting small this time, 9ft x 3ft initially and work from there, any suggestions as to what might work well in a smallish space?

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 394 times

This is what I am working with at the moment, any suggestions are more than welcome.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 pm

A couple of updates to bring you.

First couple of bits of track in place and the holes drilled for the feeders.

And most importantly the PC is in and working and attached to the home network which means I can play with the layout in SCARM in the warm and access it from the shed at the bottom of the garden

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”