My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikehextall

My first layout

Postby mikehextall » Sun May 15, 2011 11:01 am

Hi all ive posted a few pictures in another thread http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32451about getting my layout up and running so i thought id officially start and under construction thread, ive added some pictures of the room il be using for my layout to give you an idea of the room im working with.

One board temporarily in place
Jack the dog just clearing up some rubbish in this picture
My first attempt at making a tunnel gone wrong

mikehextall

Re: My first layout

Postby mikehextall » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm

An update on my layout it has now moved from the spare room into the loft but with the same layout but now with added room for future expansion

Jacob85

Postby Jacob85 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:50 pm

good job keep it up practice makes perfect!

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Things have progressed a little from my last post, the layout has moved from the small box bedroom into the converted loft where their is more room for the layout and also more room for expansion when necessary. Ive started constructing the baseboards, ive re-made them after I rushed it to begin with in my eagerness to get the layout started but now ive taken my time in the hope that it will last longer.

The plan is to mount a baton onto the back will and then bolt the baseboards to the baton and then bolt the adjoining baseboards to each other with some sturdy legs thrown in for stability and hopefully then I can begin laying track

Any thoughts at this point are much appreciated.

ImageImage

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:00 pm

You don't mention any support structure for the boards themselves other than along one edge and some legs, do you plan to build a frame for the boards as well? If not, you may suffer from sagging/warped boards when you start adding scenery and whatnot to your layout.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Support structure would be in the form of legs however if u think a frame would be better then I won't argue

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd go with a simple 2x1 inch frame just to be on the safe side, B&Q sell 8ft long pieces of timber for around £2.50 each which I have used many times to build various things from.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

mikehextall wrote:The plan is to mount a baton onto the back will and then bolt the baseboards to the baton and then bolt the adjoining baseboards to each other with some sturdy legs thrown in for stability and hopefully then I can begin laying track]

The idea sounds similar to The Y&CR.

The main reason I opted for this approach is I don't have load bearing beams in the loft so the reason for my to do this was to take the weight off the floor as much as possible. As you can see I have gone with a rather minimalist construction in a bid to cut weight. In your case it looks like you have a rather sturdy floor but bear in mind where the weight goes. If you can you might want to get away with more cross braces than I have. Also remember if you are planning on topping it with MDF it's very heavy!

Coincidently the leg you see at the corner of the frame in the first picture (and the second for that matter) is not a main load bearing leg, but I had installed larger timber beams along the middle of this frame as their position is above a brick wall under the loft floor. The leg you see is just to stop the corners from sagging.

Hope this has given you a few ideas anyway. It's a good loft as there are no purlins running diagonally through the loft space (which would be the edges of the layout).

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for those pics Stuart, they illustrate exactly what I was suggesting. The frame doesn't need to be anything elaborate, just give basic support to the board throughout.
Anyway, chop chop Mike, that track will be with you very soon so you need a baseboard ready to mount it on. :wink: :D

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks that really gives me something to work with, fortunately when we moved into the house the loft was already part converted with all the flooring down and it is very sturdy stuff but until just recently i didnt consider the load on the beams, however after seeing the piles of junk my mum and dad have in their loft just balanced across the beams for 25 years im pretty sure a small model railway wont cause too many problems.

One thing im interested in is the little white brackets that you have in each corner, what are they and where did you get them from as ive been struggling to attach lengths of wood in this way.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

It's a simple and very useful plastic screw mountain bracket for fixing two pieces of timber together in the corners. As to where they came from I can't remember as I have had them lying around the loft for years, but I'd bet you could get them in B&Q or any other hardware store on the cheap.

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks very much thats just what im looking for to assemble my beams

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

All baseboards are now complete with the exception of some boards that i have decided will form the extension, more about that later.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm

When will you begin laying that concrete sleeper flexitrack then? :wink:

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 pm

nickbrad wrote:When will you begin laying that concrete sleeper flexitrack then? :wink:

As soon as i get the frame up and the boards on. Any tips when assembling the boards?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”