First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
shaun2000

Re: First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Postby shaun2000 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 pm

great looking layout very nice love modern layouts.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am

Hi guys!
Just to let you know I haven't disappeared and given up. The last couple of months have been taken up with some much needed DIY and I am very pleased to say it is nearly finished. Good job really as the weather has changed for the worse and the DIY was on the front of my house.

Anyway, work continues on the shed for my layout. I have decided over the last couple of nights that I wasn't happy with my original plan to leave the windows blacked out, so have started to carefully cut them out. However I didn't want to take the easy option of sticking some OHP film onto the back, so I am cutting out some leftover 1mm thick acrylic sheet into window panes that will be inserted into the cutouts. Here's what it looks like at the moment:

Hopefully my brother will be designing the interior walls shortly that will be stuck in place. I also need to create the office that sits in one corner. The roof is printed off and ready for sticking onto board. I just need to decide whether to make some beams to support it using plastic I-beams.
I must really crack on with it now as I have also ordered a couple of bits from PH Designs. That could be fun as I have never attempted any etched stuff before!
Anyway, it's good to be back. Hopefully the next update will be a little more worthwhile.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I decided to have a crack at my first ever etch kit tonight. I got the depot baskets and Mobile Inspection Platform from PH Designs, so thought I would start with the 'easier' kit of depot baskets.
After a couple of hours of head scratching trying to work out how to hold and bend these tiny bits, I managed to turn this:

into this:

I am quite pleased with the result saying it was my first attempt. I will spray it grey next before touching up with some rust and sleeper grime colours to weather it. 3 more to build and then onto the inspection platform, which I am now not looking forward to!

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Got all 4 baskets finished now. Sprayed them with grey primer and some sleeper grime to make them look old and dirty. I may add some rusty rail paint later to weather them a little more. I really must crack on with the depot and finish the concrete areas next!

Dave
Image and Image

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Rammy wrote:I decided to have a crack at my first ever etch kit tonight. I got the depot baskets and Mobile Inspection Platform from PH Designs, so thought I would start with the 'easier' kit of depot baskets.
After a couple of hours of head scratching trying to work out how to hold and bend these tiny bits,
Dave

http://youtu.be/26S7jnC9nsE

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:19 pm

tornado64 wrote:
Rammy wrote:I decided to have a crack at my first ever etch kit tonight. I got the depot baskets and Mobile Inspection Platform from PH Designs, so thought I would start with the 'easier' kit of depot baskets.
After a couple of hours of head scratching trying to work out how to hold and bend these tiny bits,
Dave

http://youtu.be/26S7jnC9nsE

Thanks for the link. A very good piece of kit but at £45 it would have made these very expensive depot baskets! If I decide to buy any more etched kits I may decide to invest in one though.
Image and Image

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 am

Etch mate is a good bit of kit if you have the older machined aluminium version. Its now made of plastic and many people dont like it
If you do a bit of googling you'll see what I mean

Have a look at the Hold and Fold from small shop
http://www.little-cars.co.uk/list8.html

Its a bit cheaper
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 am

At last I have finally found a little time to get on with some work on the layout, or more precisely on the depot building.
I have finally finished cutting the small Perspex windows and fitting them. I wish I had never thought of that crazy idea! Anyway it's done now and worth it in the end I think. I have started building some girders support for inside the building which should hold the walls in square and will also help support the roof. These have been made using styrene I-beams. Tomorrow I will nip to Halfords to get an aerosol, probably yellow I am thinking, so they stand out from the white walls. I will then add a couple of internal walls at one end to create the office and then it's onto the roof.
Anyway here's a few pics of the progress. Not a lot, but at least I'm back at it.

Dave
Image and Image

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Looking like a very plausible depot building - and I agree about the yellow beams, they will look good. I like the way you've kept them square, too

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Just to show that my progress has continued, I painted and weathered the beams today before gluing in place. I just need to keep up the momentum this week and get the internal walls done.

Dave
Image and Image

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am

Lovely looking structure Dave , great to see more updates

Kev

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm back!
Finally, after getting some inspiration recently at the great Derby Show and following all of my favourite layouts on here, I dusted off the layout today and got it out of the shed. Whilst it was a nice day I decided to sand down some of the concrete area and used my dremmel to cut out the tracks where I had forgotten to create the groove whilst the filler was still wet! :-(
The shed is almost finished now. I have not stuck the roof down yet as I was not 100% happy with it, but I think it will have to do for now so I crack on with other things. I actually noticed today I have forgot to stick on the sheet for the underneath of the roof which will hide the window edges on the inside.

Just marking out the second board now for where the fuel point and the red "phone box" hut will go, ahead of starting to lay the concrete.
I then need to decide what will go in the big empty space to the right hand side. In reality this would be a grass & tree bank up to the car / van storage yard. I will make the bank but may use some modelling licence and actually store containers up there instead.

Anyway it's good to be back and I will try my best to keep going now, although I might get slightly distracted if my plan to build a 3D printer goes ahead soon!

Thanks for looking
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

After a few days away in London this week, I have managed to grab a few hours here and there over the weekend to make a little more progress. Today I had a little helper for a short while:

My 8 year old daughter wanted to help and was happy to carry on with a little hand sanding the wet & dry paper. I have found the wet & dry very useful for the final sanding smooth of the "concrete" area whilst at the same time the black paper rubs off onto the white filler which weathers it quite nicely and unevenly.
We both then moved on to a little more ballasting that was still needed, followed by some additional sil and greenery on top of that.
All in all quite a productive few hours.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 pm

I have spent the last few days building up the empty area to the right hand side of the layout. I have decided to build a grass bank which will lead to a fence, behind which will be the back end of a container storage yard. This is a slight stray away from reality as the real area in Southampton is used for storing cars & vans, but I prefer the idea of containers just to add to the Freightliner feeling of the layout.
Tonight I went into the shed to take a few photos, but by the time I had taken my stock out and discovered the camera battery was flat, it had turned dark and I had lost the chance of pics with natural light. Anyway I couldn't resist and took a few with my phone, so apologies in advance for the quality. I will try again this weekend.

Thanks for your interest

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 am

Spent an hour or so today making improvements to the depot building. I have printed the 2 signs onto photo paper and stuck them on. I then fitted the 2 lights that I picked up at the Derby show and connected them to an old 12V power supply I kept from an old rechargeable torch. Really pleased with the results. I just need to get a couple of spot lights (one for each end) now.

Dave
Image and Image

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”