First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rammy

Re: First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Postby Rammy » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Time for an update!
Although I have been quiet on here for a few weeks, I have continued to make progress on the layout. The backboards have been painted a blue/white colour, although I will probably need to go over this again and make it a little bluer. I have been playing around with a photo backscene for over the bridge and I am quite pleased with how this has turned out. I have also added a few trees, a relay cabinet, and some more scatter that were all bought at the Derby show. Plenty of other temptations at the show such as a class 70, a sound decoder for a 66, and the NCE Powercab, but as I couldn't decide which to buy I came back without any of them.

Anyway, enough words ... Here are the pics :

And my favourite pic so far:

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Very nice Dave,

A man who kept some money ....

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Looking very good squire.. Keep it going. :D

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu May 31, 2012 12:41 am

My brother popped round at the weekend to try out his prototype scratch build of the shed end. A little tweaking to the size is required (as I changed the sizes and forgot to tell him!) but it looked great. We then spent another hour discussing all of the finer details that need adding. I have helped a little too by designing the roof layout. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished article in the coming weeks / months. Pictures to follow as the shed build develops.
Also I have finally taken the plunge and started laying the hard standing. I have opted for some smooth filler which I have coloured with a little black paint to make a light grey. Fingers crossed for something worth photographing soon!
Off to DEMU this weekend to see what can tempt me!

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Managed to grab half an hour in the shed today to make a little more progress with the 'concrete' laying and to take a couple of pics. Quite pleased with the results so far, but lots of track cleaning needed before anything's going to be running around here.

Dave
Image and Image

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 am

Hi Dave,

Nice work with the concrete area, I've been browsing round layouts which have this type of work taking place at present as I need pointers for my own attempt.

Are you going to weather this down with paint ? How did you do the track in fill bits ?

Catch you later.
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Mike

I browsed the forums for quite a while too, but still couldn't decide the best way forward. In the end I have bought some fine filler from Toolstation and added a teaspoonful of black paint to it and thoroughly mixed. This made it a reasonably light grey. I am quite pleased with the colour for now, but I am sure I may weather it down eventually. If we ever get any dry weather I will take it outside and take some pictures so you can see the real colour.
The track infill bits are a bit experimental, so I will let you know how well it works out. I read lots of posts about putting string down the sides, using masking tape, etc, etc, but I am far too lazy for that! In the end I have just filled it all and then, whilst still wet, ran an old wagon along the rails to dig out a small trench. I then used the side of a wallpaper scraper (or a metal ruler) and ran this through the trench again to widen it. I then kept running the scraper over the area to flatten any ridges that formed, then repeated it on its side to clear any filler that got pushed to the rails. After a few passes each way, all of the excess had been removed. I just need to find a quick way of cleaning all of the rail tops now!
I will let you know how I get on.

Dave
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Rammy,

So you're another being held up by this supposed summer ! I much prefer working outdoors, as much for the light as anything, but also space to get around anything.
I have a small amount of concrete infill to do, have ideas, but watching how you go. I had running problems with a level crossing where I filled upto the outside of rails and then found the wide wheels of my 06 shunters were riding on the filler and not getting good electrical contact. Scraping back worked, but as you say getting it all cleaned back was a drag. I'm planning plasticard rail 4 foot infill, again as used on the level crossing as that worked fine although your demands are far greater.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Geoff

I had thought about using card or plasticard for the infill, but I wasn't sure that I would be able to make a neat job of all of the curves. If I was doing straights I would definately have gone that way.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 pm

My brother has made a good start to the shed design and delivered the first sheets which are the outside pieces and doors. He is still working on the roof and inside pieces but at least I have something to get started on now.
Now where do I start?

Build photos to follow.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:02 am

Just a quick photo before bed to show progress so far. Apologies for the poor quality as I didn't have time to get the camera out and had to use the iPad.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm

As it was such a lovely day today, I decided to make the most of it and brought First Avenue onto the decking for its first daylight outing. Gave the tracks a much needed thorough cleaning and couldn't resist playing trains for a while! Then got on with replacing some of the damaged ballast from board 1 (my first attempt at ballasting) and test fitted the shed sides to see what they look like.
I really enjoyed having the layout outside for a change. I must get the trestle legs made so I can do it more often.
Anyway, here's a few pics:

The overall layout so far (still needs fiddle yards)

66532 joins 08530 alongside the shed under construction

The view from the bridge on First Avenue

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 am

My latest purchase arrived today, so no time was wasted getting it fitted into 66532. An ESU Loksound sound chip!
Only a temporary fit at the moment as it will need a soundbox fitting to improve things, but I couldn't resist a couple of videos despite the poor light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-vNMc9c ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKnjmIy0 ... ata_player

Dave
Image and Image

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 am

Hi, Rammy

Love the layout so far. You have created alot of good atmosphere. I really like the concrete you have laid. The photo looking through the fence over to the forklift is amazing! Looks very real. How many of your locos are sound? I would love some but funds will not allow at the moment.

Anyway, keep it up. You are doing a great job! :)

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Great update!

You've created something with real atmosphere and character looking forward to seeing your future progress
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”