First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rammy

Re: First Avenue - Poss new 8ft x 2ft shed layout

Postby Rammy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks for your help with the backboards Geoff. I will get some exteior ply.
I can't get te kids very interested at the moment, but maybe when I get one finished they may get into it. My 7 year old daughter occasionally comes into the loft to run a few trains around Chadwood but normally ends up just pushing cars down the station road!
No obvious signs of drips in the loft this year, although I did staple an old sheet to the rafters to soak up any minor drips so maybe that helped.
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Over the last few nights I have been reviewing the layout and noticed a problem. I had put a curve in the lower track, but unfortunately this was where the shed was supposed to go! This would have meant that I would have to move the shed much further away from the outdoor inspection pit, which would not have looked right. So today I have ripped up that track and relaid it leaving enough of a straight to bring the shed back down in the correct position.

I have also managed to seperate the two boards for the first time today. I have cut the tracks using my new Razor saw, which was definitely the right tool for the job. This has now enabled me to bring one of the boards inside which should enable me to get a bit more work done on it at night. Its certainly better than being in the shed at the moment.

So the next job I want to tackle is a bit of ballasting. Now I have never done any ballasting before, so I am a bit nervous! Here is where I have got to so far:

How does this look? It looks ok to me, but I haven't really got a clue. Would I be best to put all of the loose ballast down on the tracks that need it, then apply the PVA / Water mix, or should I fix the couple of tracks that I have done and then move onto the next couple? Also, do I need to get every little piece of ballast off the sleepers before I add the PVA, or can these be removed later?

Any advice or comments would be very much appreckiated before I screw it up! lol

Dave
Image and Image

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm

To my definitely non-expert eye it looks good! Perhaps the end faces of the sleepers towarsd the bottom right of the second photo could be a bit more "buried"? From what little ballasting I've done, I think that any stray bits left on the sleepers are easily chipped off.

Better wait for an expoert, though!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Well wish me luck. Tonight I have taken the plunge and ballasted all the necessary tracks in one go! (well on ths board anyway) After pouring the ballast, I sprayed it all with water mixed with a little IPA. This was then covered with a 50/50 PVA/water mixture. Unfortunately I soon discovered that the PVA that I was using was old and the bottle contained lots of lumps, so when I started dropping this onto the layout several lumps of PVA also dropped into the ballast. The end result looked awful with lots of white lumps everywhere. I then spent the next hour removing these lumps with a pair of tweezers, trying not to disturb the ballast too much.
Eventually the lumps were successfully removed and I threw away the last of the PVA mixture, thoroughly cleaned out the PVA bottle, found the new 5ltr tub of PVA out of the shed, mixed a new batch and went over several areas again that we're looking a bit dry like I had missed them.
Fingers crossed for the next 24 hours or so to see what happens.
If all goes well, I hope to start the hard standing around the inspection pit / shed area next before moving on to First Avenue road bridge, which will be made from the scalescenes concrete bridge download.

Dave
Image and Image

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 am

I hope all turns out ok over night. I had the same problem with the white lumps, mainly small ones. I think it happens even with new pva & the white lumps will fade away. But I wasnt going to risk it.

After the pva has cured for 12hrs (& for a number of hours after). The ballast is still plasticy enough to reform areas where your not happy. ie needs pushing down, where the ballast has clumped, or if you want to remove ballast that has flowed onto sleepers & sides of the rail. The PVA will fully cure over a couple of days or so.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Rammy,

I like the overall look of that ballasting - very tidy and not all over sleepers.
Quality work in my opinion. I suppose my only comment would be that your
grain size is at the upper end - I try now to use fine ballast (commercial 'N' standard).
Fine ballast has it's problems being much slower to lay and so light that the 'Avon'
mist spray bottle can move grains around as you dampen off before PVAing.
That is of course no criticism of what you've done which is first class.
Hope the second application went as well ....

I used to work on the Millbrook Trading Estate, Southampton so this is all my
old hunting grounds, although it's changed somewhat since I left the area back
in 1970.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 pm

I appreciate your comments, as always, Geoff. Not taken as a criticism.
I bought the ballast some time ago to be used on my Chadwood layout, but never got that far. I was wondering about some finer stuff but thought I would have a go with this. Do you think in future I may be able to add some very fine (n gauge) ballast on top of this, mainly just between each track (i.e. where people walk rather than where strains run). I am thinking a thin layer to fill in between the larger ballast may give it that smoother look that you see at Maritime?
Anyway, the 2nd attempt at gluing went well (I think) and it looked a lot more like I expected it to. Just need to wait a day or so now to see if it stick I guess.
Pictures to follow once it dries.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Got home tonight and inspected the ballasting and found mixed results. Overall I am very happy with the results and although a little clearing of stray pieces is required, it looks quite good to me.

The down side is some areas have not glued at all, probably due to the first batch of PVA not mixing correctly as it had lumps in it. Other areas have cracked and not stuck down to the baseboard. Again I probably expect this to be a mix problem.

Anyway, tonight I plan to break up the areas that have cracked (they can easily be picked off and recrumbled into ballast) and will give the whole layout a new coating of PVA / water mix (hopefully without lumps!)

Dave
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Rammy,

Exactly where did you leave it to dry ? Anything left in a shed or garage at this time of year can take a couple of days to dry.
Touch it before that and it'll usually crumble - been there and done it !!
In my garage some yacht varnish is taking several days to dry out, still feeling sticky to the touch next day.

You could try an overlay into the surface with a fine ballast, but you're quite careful at cleaning sleepers so I'd probably
leave it for present, if wanted you could always come back later and try a little section. I have some ballast to 'repair' after
transport so working on it months or years later isn't a problem.

While I dislike ballasting getting it looking right can make so much difference, I'm worried as I have around 50 foot to go
at soon, some of that 50 feet being 6 lines wide. Picking individual grains off rail sides and sleepers with a tooth pick !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Geoff

The ballast has been drying for 24 hours in the house. SWMBO has allowed me to clear the worktop in the utility room and use that for modelling for a while. As this was always my plan, I made the baseboards to fit!
I have done the 2nd PVA coat tonight so we will see what happens overnight.

Dave
Image and Image

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Some great progress thier

Hows your second coat of PVA looking?
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Some good news. The 2nd application of PVA/water seems to have done the trick. No lumps this time and everything has stuck down fairly well. Still the odd crack here and there but nothing too obvious. A few more areas to finish off and I still need to ballast the point, but I am really pleased with my first effort.
Now I just need to decide what's next. Maybe the concrete areas I think.

Thanks for the support everyone

Dave
Image and Image

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm

That's tidy looking ballasting pal... :D

Rammy

Re: First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - 8ft x 2ft

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Spent some time ballasting the remaining line last night. I have started work on the fencing that separates the depot from this line and added soil & grass to this area too. Never done any scenery before so had to guess how to do it! In the end I did it like ballast and it turned out ok.

Image and Image

thebritfarmer

Re: First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - 8ft x 2ft

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm

You are making nice progress on your layout.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”