First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Shaun Wilson

Re: First Avenue - Modern OO Freightliner - Now with sound

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Dave, been watching your progress on this, looking excellent buddy. :)

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 am

Looking good. I love the amount of detail you are putting into your layout, especially the buildings

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 am

Work continues on the grassy bank at the container storage end.

Paper mâché added and painted green

Hanging basket liner glued down and left to dry before removing the backing:

One of the panels has been left loose in this area to create an access panel as this is where the point motor wiring will lead to switched on the back panel. The hanging basket liner grass does a good job of disguising the join:

Lichen and a few Hornby tress are then added (not fixed yet) to fill in and take the plainness off the grass bank:

I will need some more substantial trees in this area to give it some height, but I'm happy so far.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I have made the most of the good weather today and roped in my daughter again to assist with the making of some trees. I had been saving grape stalks a while ago and had forgotten about them until yesterday when I sorted through my tubs of bits. So out they came today, applied PVA glue and some scatter, and I think they have turned out ok for almost free trees.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I grabbed a little time in the shed over the weekend and tonight and decided it was about time I thought about installing the point motors. Yes I know I really should have done this before I started the ballasting, etc but I just got carried away before and forgot!
Anyway, I have some Seep motors left over from my Chadwood layout, a new CDU kit which I have built, and a spare 12V power supply. However after installing the first point motor and fiddling around for ages in this heat, I have discovered the point motors will not flick across. The just don't seem to have enough force. I have tried changing the power supply and using the 15V AUX output on the Elite controller in case 12V wasn't enough, but this still didn't work. I swapped the CDU over to the one I had used succesfully on Chadwood - still no joy. I have made sure there is no ballast or anything obstructing the point operation and have even tried the whole setup on the next point but with the same results.
It seems as though the springs on the Peco points are just too strong. Has anybody else had similar problems or have any ideas?
After thinking I may get somewhere tonight, I have just come away thoroughly frustrated.
Any help would be appreciated folks!

Many thanks
Dave
Image and Image

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 am

you may have to rely on "thumb power"
works brilliantly for me ;-)
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

jamest

Postby jamest » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am

HI Rammy,

Are you sure the seep motors are ok? Would it be worth trying a peco switch? If only to rule out a problem with the seep in this environment.

I know you get some extra switching functionality with the seep, and I've never used one, but I've never had any trouble with the peco ones - especially if you use a CDU.

Regards,
James

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm

James
The Seep motors are ok as they operate fine when not attached to a point. They just don't seem to have enough power to operate the point. I am trying to find an old laptop power supply now just to rule that out. Then I may build a quick mock up on an off cut of board to to test things out.
Dave
Image and Image

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

If the point motor switches when not attached to the point then look at
1)is it in line with the point correctly
2) the hole for the rod has an obstruction in it.

It took me ages to line some up recently and get them screwed in.
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm

I did a little more experimenting tonight to find a solution to this problem. I built a mock up with a spare off cut of board and fitted a spare point on top. Not surprisingly I got the same result - the point did not flick across. At least this proved that it wasn't a problem with the ballasting or painting I had done.
After a bit of playing around, I have finally found a solution. I have removed the spring built into the Peco point. The motor then works perfectly. So after all that, the motor didn't have enough power to throw the point due to the spring. The motor seems to hold the point one way or the other without the spring, so hopefully things should be ok.
Has anybody else had to do this?
I will experiment with a larger power supply when I find one, but if not then the may e the way forward.

Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I managed to get hold of an old 19V laptop power supply yesterday from work and tried it today. It throws the points much better and think it will allow me to leave the springs in after all.

Oh well, you live and learn!

On a separate note, I have spent the afternoon playing Train Simulator 2013 after downloading it for the bargain price of £6.99 off Steam. Its a one day only price, so hurry up and get it if anybody else wants it. The Class 66 is on offer too so I may have to download that add-on too!

Dave
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Dave,

I've not commented in ages, but like what I see !!
Great to see that at least your daughter has taken to some modelling.
I bet she's chuffed to see her trees on the layout .......

I do believe some point motors need the spring removing as the actual motor
holds the blades in place - me I just keep to loud Peco motors, I can then hear
them change ...... my hearing is probably better than my sight now.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 am

Wow, is it really nearly 4 months since I last touched my layout?
I have been rather distracted over the summer with DIY around the house and enjoying what seemed to be a fairly good summer weather wise. I also got distracted by finally treating myself and buying a RepRapPro Mendel 3D printer kit. Much to my surprise, after a few teething problems, I have got it printing really well and reliably. Not sure it will be much use for railway modelling but I am enjoying using it for other things.

Anyway, today I decided it was time to get on with some railway modelling so I had a quick visit to the shed to decide what needed doing next. I chose to make a start on the refuelling point. Thanks to photos that you guys had previously posted I have a reasonable idea of what it should look like. I bought some Wills box profile quite a while ago for this project and I also have a few packs of Evergreen I-beams. What I wasn't sure about when I had previously thought about doing this was how I would model the 2 large green tanks. So now this has been made easier! After a short while on Sketchup the tanks where modelled and sent to the 3D printer. Sizes are all a bit of a guess, but they seem to match the photos about right.

Now to start some gluing and painting, as well as keeping the momentum going to finally move my layout along.

Thanks for looking
Dave
Image and Image

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Merry Xmas everybody. I hope Father Christmas brought you all lots of modelling goodies!
He was good to me and brought me a cheap starter airbrush set (the £50 Lidl one) and I spent some spare Xmas money to buy a £20 dual action airbrush off Amazon to give me a fighting chance of achieving something on a tight budget.

So today I finally got away for a couple of hours to myself to test it all out. Now please gear in mind I have never used an airbrush before or even attempted to weather anything, so this was going to be a real challenge. I grabbed a couple of old useless wagons out of loft to have a practice on. My plan was to try weathering the bogies and see how it went. I had previously bought some "frame dirt" acrylic paint from a exhibition in anticipation of this day arriving, so I mixed a small amount with some water and had a bash. Surprisingly it turned out very well, so I tested another. Another pleasing result, so filled with confidence I went back into the loft and brought down a set of Bachmann Intermodal container flats. Having sprayed the bogies and wheels I carried on and toned down the bright green tops - after all I can't find a photo anywhere on the web of a bright green one!

Anyway, here are a few snaps of progress (unfortunately taken on my phone after it had got dark)

I will need to try adding some more tones/colours to blend it in a bit more but I am really pleased for my first attempt. I have some other colours in enamels but will need to get some thinners before I can use them.

Dave
Image and Image

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Looks like an excellent 1st attempt Dave - well done. Look forward to some more photos of further efforts.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”