Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Welsh_Trident_Man

Re: Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm

spongie wrote:what about the two green 08s i saw are they one in the same just different bodies?

They are both Hornby Class 08s one is with sound and the other is without.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon, as promised the below pictures are live from Mommouthshire Bank LISP.
All the track is now down well for the time being as it will be taken up again for the point motors, uncoupler ramps and cork to be layed under the track. It will then be dropped up and wired for power.

I also brought some new wagons to, three Bachmann BP TTA fuel tanks and two Bachmann Railfreight red BDA bogie wagons the latter are will be awaiting shopping for overhaul with the former being used to deliver fuel oil to the yards locomotive fuelling point.

Ive also had a little play with the era using my fathers British Railways traction and rolling stock !!

A condemed 7F being towed away for scrap:

Class 03 shunting the WRD
[img]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/867/dsc00683l.jpg[re Bank

Back to the prsent, this time a 7F and Class 37 are being towed from a heritage railway via Mommouthshire Bank

Overview of the layout during phase one tracklaying

Fuelling point with servicing shed:

Prior to realligning the South end of the yard:

The new allignment of the South end:

Now some odds and sods pictures of the general views of the yard.

A hint of Margam ?

This is the semi completed Controller holder, that my Gaugemaster will fit into when not in use. The main body of the holder is for the power unit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The yard is spilt into three sections, the first being the servicing shed and fuelling road. The second being the stabling roads, the IN road and OUT road. The latter is used for locomotives who have been shopped for exams or fuelling and are now ready for traffic, with the IN road for the locomotives who are awaiting shopping.
The third section is the former steam shed, come wagon repair centre. This section is closest to the 'fence', the shed is along the front of the layout with two through roads. Plus a cripple siding.

Regards.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:03 pm

It is coming together well now, I am looking forward to the scenics developing.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Works continues on Mommouthshire Bank, with approx 11 months until the Northampton & District Model Railway show I really need the layout electrically complete before Christmas. so the Fixing of the joints on all bar one road across the senic boards is a major milestone.

Fuelling Rd, Loco In Rd, Through Rd, Loco Out Rd and WRD throat complete, minus cutting.

Overview of the front three roads, before cutting:

The North end of the yard with the cork underlay cut and ready to go, all I need to do now is the storage boards:

Regards.

NNR.76079

Postby NNR.76079 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:51 am

Welsh_Trident_Man wrote:Works continues on Mommouthshire Bank, with approx 11 months until the Northampton & District Model Railway show I really need the layout electrically complete before Christmas. so the Fixing of the joints on all bar one road across the senic boards is a major milestone.

Are you going to be bringing Monmouthshire to the Northampton & District show? as i'm part of the northampton & district model railway club
If it steam and runs on rails i like it.
If its big, red and goes 'NEE-NAW' i like it

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Hopefully so, Ive emailed the club to see if they want me. So fingures crossed ! :D

Regards.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

The 7F looks too good to be condemned for scrap - I was hoping it was off for preservation! Excellent progress so far. The trackwork is coming along nicely and I just love the fleet of tugs.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Good evening some more pictures of the latest progress with 'The Bank' all the joints on the main scene boards have been finished with solder and copper plates to drop the conectors on to.
Also the inspection pit for inside the locomotive inspection shed has been fitted along with the locating holes for the actual shed, this is to enable the shed to be secured to the board but removeable to allow cleaning etc.

Just a few pictures, the next job is to do the joins onto the storage/scenic board 3 which will contain the WRD shed, oh and to relay with cork etc the actual WRD sidings off board 2.

Board One joints all finished:

Overview of board one with the locating stripes for the servicing shed seen:

Close up of the shed locatin pins:

Regards

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello,

The good news is that all the trackwork on the two main senic boards is now complete, and in the final positions. All cork underlay has been fixed, all that is needed to complete these two is for the joins across in the Senic 3a / storage board.

The next step is to fit the point motors for which the holes have already been drilled, along with the SEEP uncoupler ramps. Then droppering ! :D

Regards.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello,

A little progress on Mommouthshire Bank, most of the point motors have now been fitted and the SEEP uncouplers also ready to be fitted.
Ive taken some pictures of the former Dock Street WRD in Newport, South Wales. This will be the basis of my own WRD, however mine will only be a two road shed.

Front view of the four road Dock Street WRD.

Side view, but my WRD will have full height windows:

Roof view:

Regards.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Good evening, long time no see!

A little bit of progress with the layout, all the point motors are fitted along with the SEEP uncouplers. I have also fixed the backscene to the backboards, Im really really pleased with the effect it gives. The next job is to drop the droppers and wire the thing up !.

Some pictures of the new backscene:

Regards

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Those backscenes are great. A brick wall and some trees at the back of the layout should help blend the backscene in.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Right a little update and some massive news on Monmouthshire Banks progress.

The first thing is that Mon Bank has become a multi period layout, by this I mean that the layout will be able to be set in at least three different periods of time with the simple removal of a few buildings and of course traction and rolling stock.

The first period will be British Railways late 1960s with BR Green deisels and four wheel wagons etc, the second is British Rail Trainload period from about 1990 to 1995 with Sector branded locomotives and period rolling stock, the third will be the late Big Three / early EWS period 1995-2000 with Transrails, Mainline & Loadhaul Freight branded locomotives with early EW&S branded locomotives. The fourth and final period will be the 'current' with anything goes mainly DB locomotives with the mainstay being 66's with the odd 60 for good measure al la 60007 & 60011 :)

This change from a set period to fourth defined periods is in response to my very first invite to an model railway show ! Northampton & District 2012, I realised that one period with the same bunch of locomotives isnt going to hold the attention of the operator let alone the public for 4-5 hours so, I decided to cycle through the periods over th course of the show.

Layout news:
Monmouthshire Bank is now operational !!! After a weekend of burnt fingures and much swearing, all the remaining track has been laid along with the electrical equipment such as droppers etc.

The first unoffical moves took place around 1900 Saturday with a Class 03 running round the layout to test for dead spots as it has the shortest wheel base in the fleet. In true fashion it picked up one or two area's for improvement and two area's where I'd forgotten to dropper !!!.
Fast forward to 2030 Sunday and 60006 made the first offical movements on Monmouthshire Bank !

Now for an overview of the completed Monmouthshire Bank.

Tracklaying and dropping in progress.
The WRD lines under contruction:

The underside of the boards.

Some happy snaps from this morning on the completed layout.

Regards
Last edited by Welsh_Trident_Man on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Good evening, a little bit of behind the scenes progress with Monmouthshire Bank the point motor switches have been ordered along with the transformer to allow live testing of the pointwork. The wood which will form the back scene between the hidden area and the WRD is also to hand, and will be installed over the coming weeks work permitting of course.

After that is complete the layout more or less complete in phase 2. Phase 2 being the track and wiring part of the contruction, baring any major problems when the testing is on going contruction of the control panel and final assembly of the cross board plugs can be tackled. Then we are into phase 3 which will take the longest scenic and final preperation stages. With the Northampton and District show around July next year I really need to have phase 2 complete by the end of December at the latest.

Below are a few snaps of the layout in the October sunshine, the sun really makes the backscenes look good I think.

I love this picture, one day I'll do it with the four railfreight brands !

On hire from FatherRail Ltd, Hornby Class 08 D3105 DCC Sound fitted. I hope to buy this loco in the course of time.

An overview of the layout with the completed backboards in place.

The roads to the left are the WRD loop of which part of the lenght will be covered with the WRD shed, based on Newport Dock St. The road with the BYAs on is the hidden WRD section headshunt this will be hidden by the WRD section backboard. The roads to the right are the main TMD area storage roads.

Regards

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 pm

On hire from FatherRail Ltd

Have I missed something or is there a place where you can actually hire loco's to use/try them??

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes mate its call my old man ! :wink:

Regards.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”