Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
phil sabin

Re: Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Postby phil sabin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 pm

This has come on in leeps and bounds since I last looked at the post....

Love The back scene, and fueling point :D
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Good evening,

A little more progress on Monmouthshire Bank, not alot visable but at this stage its whats going on behind the scenes.
The switches for the control panel have been ordered, along with the backscene graphics for the WRD board.
Once those two arrive I can crack on with contructing and fitting out the control panels, and then contruct the backboards for the WRD section.

Then when thats done, I can attempt to recreate the former Dock Street (Newport) Wagon Repair Shop. The first major non RTR building on the layout.

On the traction and rolling stock front I have one new traction arrival in the form of a Railtrack MPV and one rolling stock arrival two, a FNA nuclear flask in for overhaul at Monmouthshire Bank WRD.
Within the next four weeks should see the control panel contructed as above, and also another locomotive arrival ! Watch this space......

Picture time, not on Mom Bank but on my fathers layout.

DRS provided heritage traction for this solo flask move:

One of Railtracks MPV units fitted out for the Water Cannon/Sandite circuits:

Ta.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi long time forumer first time reader of yours, this is a very sweet layout and I love the photo of the collection of class 60's on page 3, amazing, if only Britain's railways today looked like that, a far better looking and more powerful Loco than a shed.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Hello, its been nearly four weeks since the last update and a bit of progress has been made with the WRD/Storage board, although Im not to happy with it and more than likley be cutting the back board down some way in order to slant it into hill or small town scene.

Some pictures to so the progress.

The now boxed off storage area:

The front side of the WRD/Storage board, see what I mean about a dark shadow being cast over the senic section, hence why I will cut it down:

Looking towards the storage area, this area will be out of normal sight once the senic is applied, and the WRD shed is in place:

The storage area looking the other way:

Ta.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 am

Good morning,
Ive been planning the next stage of Monmouthshire Bank over the last few days, this stage will be done after the July 2012 Northampton and District Model Railway Show which we have been invited to.

Ive been toying with the concept of two layouts in one for some time now, this even predates Monmouthshire Bank so......

The basic concept is an additional two boards at 90o angle to the current storage board. The current WRD senic section will remain as now, however the WRD headshunt which is hidden behind the backscene will be extended on to the new boards on to a curve to get it straight on the new section.

The current dead end storage roads will be extended across as they are now on to the new board to increase storage, there will also be some alteration to the trackwork to allow a small hidden run round loop within the storage area.

The new layout as such will be a small steel transfer terminal, which fits in with the current layout. Wagons that will be used on Monmouthshire Bank will be steel carriers, with some coal wagons also for shopping.

I plan to use a shunter to 'trip' wagons down to the steel terminal where there will be a short loop and transfer shed. I could also use the 60's in place of the shunter as required.

The master plan is to present Monmouthshire Bank at the Northampton Show in July 2012 in its current form, then in 2013 to show it again with the extention. However passive provision has been made to allow the new boards to fit onto the current set up at present.

Regards.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Good afternoon,

Quite alot has been going on at Mon Bank of late, although the layout is still at the 'quite alot actually being done, but very little to show' stage.
The layout is now fully wired as far as traction control, point motors, uncouplers and board connections are concerned. I am now in the process of wiring the three control panels and contructing the underboard shelf for the power unit which will outsource power to the two outer boards.

In the next week I expect my MPV to be returned from Water Cannon duties, along with some rolling stock which has been contracted out. Oh and an additional locomotive joins the fleet.

No1 board control panel, which shows the end roads of the inspection shed and fuelling road:

No3 board control panel, which shows the WRD loop and storage roads:

Regards.

MattWallace

Postby MattWallace » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm

This is awesome - it's given me a load of ideas for rolling stock on my layout etc.

Thanks!

M.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Hello,

With the Northampton & District Model Railway show in about 7 months, my plan to have the layout electrically complete by the start of 2012 is more or less on track. I have still to wire the interboard connections and then build three mimic panels, once thats done the layout is electricaly complete which will allow for 7 months of senic work and testing prior the my debut at the show.

The underside of the central board panel:

The underside of the central board with transformer plate top centre and CDU middle:

My new toy 60092 in Railfreight Coal Sector brandings, if you look closely you can just make out the iron ore dust along the roof line. The loco has just come off the Llanwern - Port Talbot Iron Ore runs:

Railtrack MPV after a good night on the local Sandite run:

My two new Bachmann BZA steel coil carriers:

On of its way, but due to be shopped at Monmouthshire Bank WRD FNA Flask wagon:

Some rather work stained BDA wagons, awaiting shopping:

Monmouthshire Banks Fuel Oil delivery awaiting shunting on to the fuel road:

Oh dear tonights Sandite run is cancelled due to the unit failure:

Stabled Class 60's:

The depots fuel oil being unloaded:

60 Heaven:

One more and I will have the Railfreight Shot:

The fitters have worked that magic or should that be Canton Tape on the MPV ! :

Direct Rail Services heritage fleet collect the flask for the trip back to Carlise:

Two tone central:

Two Transrail 60's stabled on the fueling road:

I have to also report a slight alternation to the track layout this will enable more stabling and fueling capacity:

Some pictures of the little seen WRD (to be) board:

Storage Area:

Regards and happy Xmas.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Edit Double Post.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello,

Its been a busy post Xmas period on the layout with the last odds and ends of wiring complete on the central control board, interconnection plugs and sockets fitted to allow the DCC power to pass through each board and the final bit to complete the control panels.

A new locomotive has arrived and a plan to add three more of a certain class, then the gates closed and a different class will be procured. Well thats the plan !! :D

The new addition is 60081 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in Great Western livery. I plan to procure three more two tone grey 60's for a petroleum example one for 60070 in two tone with Loadhaul brandings and a very special example of 60010 in Railfreight General brandings ex works, ex Kings Ferry Bridge photoshoot.
Then once they are safe and sound on Monmouthshire Bank, I will then move on to some class 56's and 37's. I'd like to get a Railfreight Steel pair of 37/5s and at least two 56's from Cardiff Canton's steel pool in both Railfreight Steel and Transrail brandings with Welsh district names of course.

The central section of the main control/power board, now complete:

This is the underside of the end board on which the servicing shed sites. Very tame compared to the above!:

Close up of the interboard connectors:

Happy New Year.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 am

I am so jealous of all those Tugs you have there, I only have the one Lima "Moel Fammau" and as a member of the c60pg, that's not enough lol.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello, its been an age well it seems like it since I last came onto NRM let alone updated my tread, so here we go.

Traction:
The arrival of 60081 started somewhat of a disapointment with the model, it was somewhat under described on a certain internet auction site. So it will now be passed on to someone with the skill to undertake the required works.
60031 one of the orginal 60's to grace the layout is also going, but will return its on its way back to Hornby for repair as very strangely it has lost power. No traction or lights nothing.

On a positive note, I expect at least two new locomotives to be coming to my little corner of South East Wales in the not to distance future. Watch this space, and no they are not Brush Type 5s

Layout:
The senic part of the layout is now completely wired and tested it should now be ready to start the long task of senic work. However there is still some work to do before I can crack on with this though, again watch this space.....

I have also wired the point and track work along with the uncouplers to enable me to operate the layout from both the rear and front via two sets of three control panels. All tested and complete, it wasnt the horror task I thought it would be so that was a relief !

There has also been some additional trackwork added to the layout in the form of two additional stabling sidings in the space that was between the fuelling road and sole stabling road, both of these can now hold three class 60 length locomotives.

Some pictures showing the two new sidings and some other odds and sods.
The new roads are the centre two with 60033 (BS Blue) and the 08844 (EWS).

Railtrack MPV Blocked in by some cripple BYAs and a stabled 60.

The ends of the roads. EWS have taken to using the loco yard as a storage location for cripple wagons.

I think the this is the best picture I have done of the 60s nice and clear and sharpe.

60029 & 084 down the back of the servicing shed.

The cooling towers of Llanwern steel works in the background.

Regards.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Hello and welcome to Monmouthshire Bank Model Railway.

Sadly there are a few departures to report on the traction front, these include the MPV and 60081 along with 60033 in Corus colours. However this reduction of three traction units has been off set by the arrival of two class 60's, a class 56 and two class 37s.

The Class 60's are 60051 in Petroluem brandings and 60070 in Loadhaul two tone grey. The Class 56 is 56054 in Steel sector brandings and British Steel Llanwern name plates, and finally the clas 37s' are 37401 Transrail branded Mary Queen of Scots and 37407 Transrail branded Blackpool Tower.
In total I have now two shunters of Class 08 & 09, two class 37's, one class 56 and about 11? class 60s'.

I hope to add at least one more 60 and a 47 to the fleet before the middle of next month, in the form of 60015 Bow Fell, Transrail branded and 47749 Atlantic Colleage in Rail Express Systems brandings.

Ive not long started a new job so I havent been able to really do much at all contruction wise, the main hold up in the front side control panels and some minor track alterations to the storage board and the servicing shed throat. Once these bits are done I hope to crack on with WRD contruction (material in hand) and then some senic work can take place.

Regards.

poindexter

Re: Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Poin

Postby poindexter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:31 am

Any more progress on this great layout?
Guy
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”