Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 60

Re: My Model Railway - 1990-2011 TMD (In the Making)

Postby Class 60 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Welsh_Trident_Man wrote:Mr Class 60, very much local it was going to be a model version of Godfrey Rd the boards I have where made for this project but I decided to go down the road of make believe but still South East Wales based.

Welsh Trident Man.

It definately gives you scope to use bits from every depot and stabling yard in south wales area to base your layout on. Obviously you had as mentioned Godfrey Road for the stabling aspect of it, the depot and wagon repair shop could be based on Cardiff Canton. My first thoughts on reading the Wagon Repair shop and TMD in 1 layout was that of Margam depot (my former workplace - now based down the knuckle yard!)....however I'm sure you can use modellers license to create your own "stamp" on what a typical 1990's Depot would be!

Adam

Welsh_Trident_Man

Re: My Model Railway - 1994-99 TMD (In the Making)

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Tue May 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Ive brought the new Bachmann single road servicing shed to go on the my railway yesterday and very very nice it is to!. It is going to look sooo lush with a 60 in!.
Im also looking into whether Transrail had a Class 31's and more to the point whether any were in TTG with Big T brandings?

I am going to have a fire station and a few cameos' to, one will be a BYA wagon minus bogies on jacks in wagon repair shop and also a MK2 carriage in the rear yard of the fire station, for South Wales Fire & Rescue Service to practice on.

My plan is to complete my fleet of 60's with an additional one to make eight, then have one sound fitted 31 with Transrail brandings (subject to evidence) and a Transrail Welsh namer Class 56, this will complement my Hornby sound 09 in Mainline Freight blue. But I will be sending my Hornby EWS Class 08 to a new home, along with the 37's.

Regards

Ta.
Last edited by Welsh_Trident_Man on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Re: My Model Railway - 1990-1999 TMD (In the Making)

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Hiya,

A very brief update three of my Class 60's undergoing work at the minute. The rest are still awaiting entry into the Falcan Works should be done though by the middle of next month.

60001:

60029:

60033:

60034:

60035:

I can wait to get all eight together ! :D

Im hoping to buy the Bachmann fire station soon, could anyone comfirm that the applicance bay door opens ?

Regards

Ta.
Last edited by Welsh_Trident_Man on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sat May 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Bloody hell, thats a nice fleet, and superb weathering. I might as well give up!
Now you just need to make a lovely wide depot to show off all those 60's :D

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 pm

:D I working on the depot.....

Bluebird.

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sun May 22, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Welsh Trident Man,

This is going to be a very exciting layout to follow,

You have one decent line-up of loco's which have been detailed very well 8)

Look forward to the updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Grayum

Postby Grayum » Sat May 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Looking forward to some more updates, not sure how I haven't seen this thread before! Great cl 60 photos, hmm maybe I should get one... :D

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Hello,

Im very please to say that my new baseboards are now under contruction !!! The ones pictured in page one had some cracking in the frame work which rendered them more or less useless.
Ive also decided to drop my plans to use more than 2 or 3 Bachmann scenecraft buildings due to weight concerns, apart from the servicing shed and depot fueling point the rest of the buildings will be built from plastic card?

Total length is as was x3 boards 18in x 4ft totally 12ft in length.
As I have said before long term project but hope to have some proper pictures of the finished boards and the locomotives soon.
Thanks gents for all the kind words !

Welsh Trident Man.

phil sabin

Postby phil sabin » Mon May 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Sounds like a real good build in progress...

Good era to choose aswell. Love this era as you can run all kinds of liveries.

Keep the updates coming..
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello,

I’ve had a little brain wave !.......My depot is a small section of what used to be a large former steam shed converted to diesel, however over time the former steam sheds and turntable have been torn down/filled in. In the early 80's British Rail erected a single road servicing/inspection shed on the site of the former No1 Steam Shed, the new shed was of the 'standard' design seen at several locations across the network including Peterborough :wink: .

However during the 70s/80 and early 90's British Rail and later Trainload Freight had a requirement for a wagon maintenance point in the region, it was decided to refurbish the former No2 Steam Shed which was in reality the oldest of the three sheds on site. However towards the end of the 90's with the withdrawal of the Speedlink network and reduced wagonload services the need for wagon repair services at several locations across the region was reduced, Transrail decided to close the wagon shop and use RST (Rolling Stock Technicians) in vans to carry out rolling stock maintenance/repairs in yards.

At the formation of North & South Railways later EWS and the mass re equipment drive of the late 1990's EWS decided to warm store withdrawn locomotives* in the former No2 shed, along with wagons brand new from Thrall York which had yet to be modified after mass design and production problems linked to the hasty reopening and production in early 98 (Please Note this is incorrect and purely for my story).

The current site consists of a single road servicing/inspection shed, fuelling point, locomotive stabling sidings, two wagon repair roads and a three road former wagon repair shed. The latter now used to store withdrawn locomotives and new rolling stock.

*British Rail also used the former No2 shed to safe store brand new Class 60's during commissioning and modification programs. :D

Sounds Good D'un it !

Welsh Trident Man.

NNR.76079

Postby NNR.76079 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Well youv'e drawn me in very easily, my 2 favourite diesels, class 60's and Class 37's

and

your modelling a fire station, my second interest other than modelling is the fire brigade.

I look forward to the updates (espacially pictures of the fire station)
If it steam and runs on rails i like it.
If its big, red and goes 'NEE-NAW' i like it

Welsh_Trident_Man

Re: Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection & Stabling Point

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Well as you will have noticed my layout now has a name ! Monmouthshire Bank Locomotive Inspection and Stabling Point.

For those who know the Newport, South Wales area the real Monmouthshire Bank is located in the land between the South Wales mainline, Alexander Dock Junction Yard, Eastern Valley Sidings (lines to the docks) and the former branch to Whiteheads steel plant.

In real life as little time ago as 2000 there were plans to close Cardiff Canton and Godfrey Rd LSP and construct an all new high level locomotive maintenance depot within the comfines of Newport Docks to create a regional engineering hub for the South Wales area. The plan was dropped and the Canton closed anyway as did Godfrey Rd.

My 'Mon Bank' is a lose 'what might have been' if BR had built the depot on the site of one of the former steam depots that served the docks. The depot will be as described in the first few posts, but will take on a very industrial backdrop not dissimilar to Immingham depot.

The depot will serve the still very busy South Wales steel industry out of Llanwern to the East, Ebbw Vale to the North and Port Talbot and Barry Docks to the West. Not to mention the Enterprise and trip workings around Newport and Cardiff.

My inital plan was to have two board scenic of 4ft x 18ins with one storage board of the same diamensions, but Im thinking about have three boards of 4ft x 18ins with a storage board of a slightly smaller size due to the limited amount of storage I will require. This would give me more in the way of entry to the depot and poss. some more cripple sidings.......

Regards

Welsh Trident Man.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Good Evening all,

Ive intended to crack on with firm planning of my track layout this afternoon. Result ? well I got the boards out and the track, armed with a box full of PECO point templates I set to work!.
1700 this evening Id had enough and packed up for the night....had I cracked the trackplan? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No !.

Im just totally stuck ! Ive lost my vision for the layout. Im down heartened and feeling defeated at the moment, Im also doubting whether I made the right descision to buy the single road servicing shed as it was my inital idea to contruct something similar to Godfrey RD Stabling Point in Newport. But Ive moved away from that now, I just cant seem to get the 'right' plan to incorperate the shed and a fuelling point.

Any ideas?

Welsh Trident Man.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Hiya !

I had the eureka moment last night, I now have a concept track plan which I will lay out tomorrow (weather permitting). The outline is that the depot is set just outside a Port / Dock you will come out of the storage area / fiddle area on double track this will curve off the edge of the board and depict the lines running down to the quaysides and dock terminals.

The actual depot area will consist of the servicing shed, with three end on storage roads for locomotive stabling approx 1yd in length. Next to those but slightly further along will be the single road fuelling point and fuel storage tanks. The depot office/Admin block will be further still down the yard, along with the Train crew booking on buildings. Outside the TC/Admin block will be two or three end on roads for stored locomotives and rolling stock repairs.

The two sections will be linked by a ladder of points running down the middle of the yard, access to the RST and cripple roads will be via a shunt back next to the fuelling roads.
I feel better about the project now i have a clear vision.

Thanks
Welsh Trident Man.

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

At last something to show you!
The first of the three boards is complete, along with the ends for the 2nd. This should be fully complete tomorrow, along with a start at least on the 3rd and final board then the fun starts! :D

Yes they are as heavy as they look, you could quite probably run a 46 and some Mk1's into them and the train would come off worse! Oh well at least they won’t bend after a few years and provide a nice solid base for my railway.

Welsh Trident Man.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”