Thomas At Silver Fox Island - one for kids to drive

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Thomas At Silver Fox Island - one for kids to drive

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi 413x,

It's the clubs layout and we already have Thomas, Greg, Stuart and I believe another 'stand-by' Thomas.
This is to be used at the club exhibition on 20th August and we're going to let visitors & children run the
trains so a minimum of stock is needed, Annie & Clarabell will be on one, the other will probably just have
standard wagons from my collection of pushing towards 200 !
So as you can gather we don't need more, but thanks for the thought.

When not being used for public use it'll probably be used for 'running-in' any members locomotive that can
cope with second radius curves. Currently it has my Jinty pulling some old coal wagons !!

This while I work out how to get that road up a hill and over the tunnel.
Still signing off until Tuesday - the earliest I can get back to this.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Geoff, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes out, most of the Thomas layouts I have seen are just a track-mat type thing, so this should be something different!
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Suffering from Scunthorpe Belly having been away for the weekend so I didn't feel like doing
much, but I had to do something or I'd get bored.
So I did a couple of plaster mix jobbies. Every one has a slightly different mix of sawdust and plaster
as well as differing moisture. Here are Mix 1 and Mix 2 which was used each side of the first and laid
on somewhat thinner.

All the time a couple of freights were on their endless journey around, and around, and ......
Every step getting nearer completion, also very rough outline for the hill sides now cut, but these will
have styrene and plaster adding later.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Waiting for plaster to dry ......

So 'play time' ..... camera out to catch Greg in the station with an almost complete timber
back wall (1.1/2" to go)

Parcels & milk awaiting the down train.

Can't work on the hill as the tunnel portals are against wet plaster that has to dry before I can move it !

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm

The Hill ...... or small ridge with road .....
Work begins, where would we be without tools like tins of paint, bottles of ballast, or
the frequently seen on NRM FULL cans of beer !!

I did think how neat it would be to have locos and rollingstock held safely for transit inside the hollow hill .. Nope,
I'm going for the easy option !!

Geoff T.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Forget the kids, i want a go :lol: This really is coming on superbly. Would look great with an m7 or EPB on it.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 am

Hi THE CHIEF,

Were it not for being for kids I would probably have painted much of the under scenery white and had China Clay trains running around the lake edge
pulled by GWR tank locos !! (future plans in mind?). I can see kids being allowed one line while we adults run the other - they Have to be supervised !!

A twin oval, no points, very boring yet I can sit there 'thinking' and listening to music (have computer in the garage) just watching a pair of trains
running around and be quite happy - gawd I must be dull !!

Now for escape back to the garage .......... Little Richard & Jerry Lee today I think !

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Wot no Iceberg ? ('Iceberg' Terriers favourite cry when large amounts of white styrene are seen)

Now run out of sawdust again so another slow-down

My ridge with road coming together now, using any small scraps of ply, MDF or hardboard, but getting there.
As things were drying I decided to take a small video of a GWR 'steel' freight with Greg flying around like
an angry mosquito.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkGG_URzn8

Think a green will be best for that err, lake/pond/industrial waste land !!

Geoff T.

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Very nice work , watching with interest :D

Kev

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for the comment Kevuk3,

I'm thinking I'm just a big kid as well ...... because when I get an idea I want it done NOW !!
So having thought of storing stock within the hill ...... I simply couldn't resist having a go ......

Well where else can you safely keep unboxed stock specific for this layout ? The locos and carriages were
donated by club members and I thought it would be asking for mechanical trouble, damage, or even complete
loss if we just kept them in a plastic carrier bag. Oh well, just another days work added to my schedule as I
box in, add retaining anchors, and have adequate padding for them to sit on !!

Geoff T.

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:38 am

You'll have to stick little shelves inside too, with track on the shelves of course and then it can be a display case too. :D (Only half joking!) . It's looking great. I'm getting excited now.

Alan.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi AlanBrady,

Track on shelves ?? No it'll be some sponge padding with elastic retaining bands, although I have to find some thin enough foam sponge.

As I'm still 'thinking' about storage design I rushed off to my local DIY store to collect more sawdust for making my tunnel hill.
With the weather having warmed since yesterday (I live near Silverstone and the Moto GP at 11 degrees and driving rain was
what I had yesterday) I've done two mixes and when these are dry will need to do one more mix to complete the ground with
the final plaster only mix to lay my road.
I've also slapped on some more paint to seal the plaster ready for adding grass scatters although still work to do on the ridge
sides where I hope a rocky looking vertical face can be made to look like old quarry workings.

Still we all like photos so here are a few from today, Oh yes sorry more freight !!

Soon be off for a few days in Dorset, therefore I need to press on.
It'll be 2 Months on Wednesday since I came back home with the cut wood ...... not bad going I suppose.

Geoff T.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Great progress again its amazing how quickly it has come together
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the comment siquelme,

Yes, I'm lucky in that being retired I can spend several hours most days, although I do have quite a few long weekends away.

Took a short video today - not run oil trains on any of these videos yet. Decided to take out all the wheel sets and add a touch of oil to each.
This was done while waiting for more glue to set where I'm attaching the hardboard flange at the base of my quarry faces. Had to use my few
cans of beer to hold in place. These flanges reinforce the bottom edge and will protect the styrene that needs to be layered up the vertical face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBtUdeiCFc

Laying turf not too far away now !

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Phew found it,

Take a week off and you're halfway down page 2 !!

Having been away I've simply not been here to do anything, but yesterday mixed up some plaster and covered
the steep rocky slope on field side ( Lake side still to be done).
I'm quite pleased the way the small track down to the field looks, it is very steep when viewed from the side,
yet from above it dosen't look that steep.

Still a few corners to sort out with plaster and adding stone/brick facings to the road bridge & tunnel, but I feel
that I'm on the home straight now.

Already my mind is wandering onto what's next ? Just done a scale drawing with a gently curved station platform
some 72" long, enough for 5 to 6 coach trains. Still currently it's just ideas as this has to be finished before starting
another project.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”