Hood-dale Main - V3 is imminent!!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Re: Hood-dale Main - Back from exile!!

Postby Lofty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

poindexter wrote:Have you had a look at Farkham? That has a station in a cutting. Maybe worth a look?

I have seen Farkham about half a dozen times but could not remember seeing a station, it is a good job you provided evidence Guy :D

The cast retaining wall looks very promising Jas 8)

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 pm

They look tasty Jas, good job on them mate.
All Aboooooard !!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Hey Jas - great to see you finally making some progress! Love the work you've done so far especially the retaining walls. They've come out really well.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi all.. Thanks for the positive comments. Hoping to get started on some painting this weekend so shall see how they start coming out then.. Fingers crossed I don't make a hash of that one!!
Chris, how you coping without your layout? Any thoughts on the replacement yet?
Jas.. :D

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi Jas

Some really great work on the casting stuff there. Is it all in a kit or do you buy a mould and some resin and pour it in?

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

Hi Dan....
Its all self done.. No kits involved.. Once the master is sourced or made its a liquid latex mould created off it then just good old casting plaster poured in and removed every 30 minutes when I'm in the loft...
Just need to make another 18ft worth of them now...! :shock:
Jas... :D

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am

Wow! 18ft! That's going to be a monster when it's done. Also, the painting / weathering on that little lot will keep you off the streets for a while :wink:

I think it will be epic! Also, any chance of nudge in the right direction for said latex and pouring plaster. Or is it a case of eBay-ing it?

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 am

tractor37 wrote:Hi Dan....
Its all self done.. No kits involved.. Once the master is sourced or made its a liquid latex mould created off it then just good old casting plaster poured in and removed every 30 minutes when I'm in the loft...
Just need to make another 18ft worth of them now...! :shock:

:shock: are you making a replica of the great wall of china :lol: top work Jas, always resourceful when i read this thread. :)

tractor37

Re: Hood-dale Main - Onwards and upwards

Postby tractor37 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi all...
Had a bit of a crack at painting up the retaining walls this evening and have to say I'm quite pleased with the results. Got a lot to do but they're getting there now! Hope you agree....

More soon I hope...

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 am

That looks neat, colouring looks perfect Jas. :)

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am

Cheers Shaun... Just been back up loft and they look better to me today! Might need a touch up though as the plaster has soaked the paint in completely in some places and its showing a little bit of white through.
Just got to sort the lights, shelters, rest of the platforms and associated detritus now... :shock:
Lot to do but enjoying it once again so all good...
Also just received an nicely weathered 153 dmu for more passenger duties but alas it does not run so back it shall have to go.. Not happy. Took ages to get to me to start with.. :( On a plus note the weathering is superb...
Jas.... :D

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Jas that wall looks totally awesome! Great work on the moulds. The white patches might not necessarily be a bad thing as they could represent lichens growing on the surface.

tractor37 wrote:Chris, how you coping without your layout? Any thoughts on the replacement yet?

The plans are now in place and Dad donated a few plywood sheets which are cut to size, but I've yet to source the timber for the bracing & legs. Once I get going I'll probably start a thread on here, although I tend to only use the N Gauge Forum now (and that's only sporadically! :? )

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Very tidy Jas, shame about the 153. I have one and it's a cracker. I does run better with a Bachmann 36-553 than a Hornby chip.
All Aboooooard !!

numbnuts846

Postby numbnuts846 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm

I love the 153's ive got 6 now. Them walls look great. What paint did you use
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi...
Plans look good for Old Warren Mk2 Chris. Should be a nice looking layout judging by that track layout.. Will be nice to see how you do the station to.. Shall be awaiting the start quite keenly..
Scott, NUmbnuts, tis a shame about the 153 but the seller is sorting me out this week with a new freshly weathered one for me so is a bonus..
The walls were painted with a variety of acrylic cheapo's I got from the works and use for everything. Mixed whiter and brown for the dark sandstone base. Mixed some dark green in to that and dry brushed it sporadically around to show slime/moss/gunk etc. Then lastly mixed up a light grey and dry brushed it around to tone down the greenish bits and tie it all together... Track fixing and ballasting shall commence this week as well as the lineside electric cables etc...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”